MR2 SpyderChat banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
124 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey Guys,

Did a few searches and cant find a solution so I figured I would ask the amazing gear heads here. So I have been having an issue where my car has been having issues accelerating. was having a O2 bank 2 lean code. so I noticed that my donut gasket was loose between the cat and the muffler, so I replaced that, issue still didnt go away, and car would sputter and sound like it was misfiring when it would hit lift. I was suggested that it could be a MAF sensor issue or the O2 sensor. So I cleaned the MAF sensor and it still kept having the same issue. I haven't swapped my O2 sensor yet which was the next suggestions. I have also had MAF issues on my Eclipse and with the car being older I figured I would replace the MAF sensor with the new MAF the car will not go above 3k RPM and is throwing a P0100 and a few misfire codes. I have some new coil packs on the way as I have always had issues with misfires cause I dont have the coil pack cover. (this was also ordered too.) Should I swap the MAF sensor back to the old (possibly bad) Unknown sensor, and try the O2 sensor? or should I give it some time and some small drive cycles cruising around town (good excuse to get out of the house and drive while in quarantine although would be rough not being able to go over 3k RPM). Any advice from yall spyder experts?

·
Registered
5,753 Posts
Go back to the Old Air Flow Sensor.. I think you have an Injector problem.. Can you change them, or pull them and get them cleaned?..

Cap

·
Registered
124 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
What does that entail, dropping the gas tank? Never done it but I probably could pull them just would need some instruction. As far as the misfire codes, I have noticed that without that guard I will get standing water on the top of the 2zz where the coil packs plug in after it rains. which is why I assumed they might have been having issues, the rubber seals looked good though.

·
Registered
124 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
this doesnt look too hard, do I have to replace the fuel tube connector or are they multi use items?

·
Registered
124 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Morning all, So I sent off my fuel injectors to get them cleaned, finally got them back and my car was no longer showing a CEL error, however just recently it cropped back up. I finally had time to pull the code, So my code reader is showing two stored and two pending codes. was wondering what my next steps should be on this seemingly long standing issue I keep fighting.
I am getting in stored codes:
P0171 System too lean bank 1
P0100 Mass or volume air flow A circuit
and my pending codes
P0171 System too lean bank 1
P0420 Catalyst system efficiencey below threshold (Bank 1)

I have cleaned my Fuel injectors, I have changed my coil packs. my question though is are these codes all related to the fact that i took off my spark plug anti fowler when I was putting my exhaust donut gasket on. I have just put it back in after looking at some threads saying with PPE exhuast which i have I need to have that fowler in. I could see the P0171 being related, but P0100 I am unsure if that is related due to the issue with reading the exhaust without the fowlers in. Should i look into a new maf sensor, I have already cleaned mine a while back when I first started fighting this issue. Thanks in advance for the help again guys! yall rock! trying to get this done cause my inspection and tags are due this month.... and havent been able to drive it much with the pandemic and working from home.

Jammin

·
Registered
124 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I just took her out for a drive with my wife, she had been complaining about not being able to drive topless in the sun for a bit. Car started out a bit rough, but then eventually was fine in normal driving conditions. when I first took the car into lift it had a ton of what sounded like mini misfires. after a bit of taking it in and out of lift it seemed to do good in some gears like second, and not so good in third. Couldn't test out the higher gears as I didn't want to speed too excessively. however even when it was doing better in lift, it for whatever reason would stutter and give me the mini misfires heavily slowing down acceleration between 6500 rpm and 7k rpm. Oddly before and after while in lift were fine and the car was acting normal.

·
Registered
124 Posts
Discussion Starter #9 (Edited)
WOW.. PPE Header?..

That changes a LOT..

PPE/ OBX O2 sensor exhaust header fix/ solution

Please read..

Cap
Cap, I am about halfway through that post, my question is does this matter since I have the Celica ECU installed when I did my 2zz with full PPE exhaust swap?

Edit:
Also looking at the fix if this is necessary, I have no access to a welder and would rather not chance doing the other method and blowing my ECU.

·
Registered
161 Posts
I just took her out for a drive with my wife, she had been complaining about not being able to drive topless in the sun for a bit. Car started out a bit rough, but then eventually was fine in normal driving conditions. when I first took the car into lift it had a ton of what sounded like mini misfires. after a bit of taking it in and out of lift it seemed to do good in some gears like second, and not so good in third. Couldn't test out the higher gears as I didn't want to speed too excessively. however even when it was doing better in lift, it for whatever reason would stutter and give me the mini misfires heavily slowing down acceleration between 6500 rpm and 7k rpm. Oddly before and after while in lift were fine and the car was acting normal.
I think it’s crazy to take a car throwing a lean fuel trim code and push it into high rpm/lift. To oversimplify it...the engine doesn’t know what gear it is in; only whether it is under load, throttle position, & rpm so testing lift in every gear is not only unnecessary but may lead to needing a new engine if you continue doing so with poor fuel trims. Take the time to sort out your issue and keep the engine in a reasonably low rpm while you do,then enjoy it once it is running properly.

Reactions: BGB-TOY

·
Registered
5,753 Posts
GOT it.. 2ZZ.. The fact that you quoted a Bank 2 Lean code threw me off the 2ZZ Track..

We are talking about a 2zz swapped spyder with known good In jectors, tossing a Lean code ( Bank 1 by the way ).. I'd say you have an Intake too big, or fuel pressure too low..

Yellow or Brown injectors RIGHT?

Forget the PPE Link I posted.. it does not apply to a 2ZZ..

Cap

·
Registered
124 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
GOT it.. 2ZZ.. The fact that you quoted a Bank 2 Lean code threw me off the 2ZZ Track..

We are talking about a 2zz swapped spyder with known good In jectors, tossing a Lean code ( Bank 1 by the way ).. I'd say you have an Intake too big, or fuel pressure too low..

Yellow or Brown injectors RIGHT?

Forget the PPE Link I posted.. it does not apply to a 2ZZ..

Cap
Yellow injectors, Intake I have is a cone filter that connects to the (I think 1zz metal intake) where the maf sensor is located. I am pretty sure when I did my swap a few years back I kept the 1zz intake stuff and just replaced the filter with the PPE filter that I currently have. Is it possible that I have some issue with the maf sensor area and a vacuum leak that is causing too much air intake?

·
Registered
124 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I think it’s crazy to take a car throwing a lean fuel trim code and push it into high rpm/lift. To oversimplify it...the engine doesn’t know what gear it is in; only whether it is under load, throttle position, & rpm so testing lift in every gear is not only unnecessary but may lead to needing a new engine if you continue doing so with poor fuel trims. Take the time to sort out your issue and keep the engine in a reasonably low rpm while you do,then enjoy it once it is running properly.
10-4 thanks, not really super knowledgeable on cars, hence why I come here for greater minds knowledge on the vehicle I own. I'll make sure I am more careful in the future.

·
Registered
5,753 Posts
The 'Stock' 1ZZ Intake will cause the 2ZZ Configuration to run rich..

Can you just get a 'Proper' Intake for the 2ZZ Swap?.. That way I'm going from 'Known Goods'..

My take on this is a 2ZZ, Running with a 1ZZ Intake, and still running LEAN, says you have a Fuel Delivery Issue.. a Fuel Pressure Check will tell.. But that is a REAL PITA..

Cap

·
Registered
124 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
The 'Stock' 1ZZ Intake will cause the 2ZZ Configuration to run rich..

Can you just get a 'Proper' Intake for the 2ZZ Swap?.. That way I'm going from 'Known Goods'..

My take on this is a 2ZZ, Running with a 1ZZ Intake, and still running LEAN, says you have a Fuel Delivery Issue.. a Fuel Pressure Check will tell.. But that is a REAL PITA..

Cap
Ok so I just looked up my receipt from MWR, from when I did the swap, I do have the PPE 2ZZ swap cold air intake.

and of course any info you need I can provide, I will. I just wanna get the issue fixed at this point. and have a legally drivable car.

·
Registered
575 Posts
I will chime in only so far as the PPE header and throwing lean codes. Put the spark plug extender back in. Simply without it you will get a lean code intermittently. This is not your performance issue, but having a CEL no matter how slight is annoying.

·
Registered
5,753 Posts
I'm not aware that the PPE Needed an Exhaust O2 Snubber.. I was under the Impression that the Snubber was needed for the After Cat O2 to prevent 420 Codes..

Why would you need to Prevent the O2 Sensor on the PPE from Accurately Reporting the Fuel mixture??.. where does this Information Come From?

Cap

·
Registered
124 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I put the Snubber back in, so that way at least I get rid of the 420 and if I can get rid of the 171 code that would be nice off of that too. I wasn't sure if they are connected,same thing with the 100 code error. I know I have had maf issues from a bad sensor that caused Idle issues on an eclipse i had before. but it never caused stutter when driving. until recently I have not had an issue with running lean. I had to pull the gas tank to put in a replacement ebrake cable for a broken line. and I feel like that is when I started getting weird errors. this could have been just chance though. not sure if any of this helps.

·
Registered
5,753 Posts
Please Clarify..

When you put in the NEW MAF Sensor, you got a P100 Code?. That is a Bad 'New' Sensor..

I'd source a Better 'New' Maf sensor and try again..

Cap

·
Registered
161 Posts
I’m just asking for some quick clarification...you had the 2zz swap done at MWR
-How long have you had the car with the mods it has now?
-What if anything did you do as far as work on the car just prior to the codes you are having (and why)?
-What changed about you using/not using the post cat O2 sensor defouler leading up to the codes showing?
-What were the first symptoms that you noticed? (Misfire/hesitation at high rpm, was a MIL code the first known issue, rough idle, etc.)

No cover on a 2zz will get the coil packs wet, also the spark plugs. This can give you rough idle, hesitation....essentially a lot of what you are describing. Remove the coil packs & spark plugs. Replace the plugs, make sure the coils are completely dry (compressed air if unsure). If you changed the MAF sensor just for S&G’s I would put the original one back in (might as well clean it before placing it back). You can feel a misfire by placing a hand on the cold engine after starting it up, however if you are not sure of what you are feeling for then only time & the MIL will tell if you need new coil packs

FYI if you don’t have a coil pack cover on order then you will be repeating this every time it rains, possibly flooding coil packs in the process as well....it gets to be expensive maintenance real quick depending on your climate (so get the cover ASAP). The lotus cover prices vary wildly....they can go for $80+, pretty sure I got mine for $25 + shipping so just search different dealerships/part sites

1 - 20 of 26 Posts