MR2 SpyderChat banner

21 - 37 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
2003 MR2 Spyder
123 Posts
Well crap, I'm not going to be able to make it. The 24th is my wife's birthday and my son's Scouting Fall Family Camp-out. I might have been able to get away with disappointing one of them, but not both. Oh well, maybe next year!
What better Fall campout than in the mountains of NC? If you're a scout leader maybe suggest that as a location and then slip away for a little while taking the spyder to get gas (Deals Gap has the best fuel so you have to get it there :) I'm sure there's another leader that can lead knots, hiking, and other camping essentials for the scouts. And for the wife, perfect for Fall foliage viewing and she can ride with you to get gas for the spyder. Oops, wrong turn north on 129 into Tennessee and no where to turn around. Oh well, have to go to the end and then come back. She'll enjoy the Fall foliage while you get a round trip dragon run in (unless she gets motion sickness). Who knows, maybe she'll want to drive too. Bam, problem solved (y)

·
Registered
2003 MR2 Spyder
123 Posts
Disclaimer: This is not meant to be fear mongering or kill-joy in any way...I just believe the best decisions people can make are informed ones.

I know this meetup has become an annual tradition but to get together, from different states no less, with little to no social distancing probably isn’t the best thing right now. The Sturgis motorcycle rally (which was unimaginably larger) was linked to many new cases of coronavirus. While the exact number is debatable, this alone is still somewhat concerning but IMHO their are 2 often overlooked impacts of this.

First, people that did not attend the rally contracted the virus after it had been brought back from someone that did. Secondly the post-viral cardiac aftermath is still not well understood. I haven’t looked in the last month to see if any studies on this have been updated but as late as August roughly 70% of ppl that had contracted the virus and recovered still had signs of heart disease on testing (most often causing some degree of right heart failure which resulted in ongoing shortness of breath after they fully recovered from an active viral infection). This has been seen in all age groups, and whether it is temporary or permanent is still unknown. Anecdotal, but somewhat sobering is that one major league pitcher actually missed weeks of playing time after recovering from the virus for this exact reason.

To summarize, we are all adults and weigh our own risks daily (alcohol, tobacco, etc, etc). I’m not telling anyone what to do, just consider yourself as well as those you live with and interact with closely on a daily basis. The article linked shows the controversy of the initial reporting on the effect of the Sturgis event. It is one of the better articles because whether you agree with what they are saying or not, they have links in the article to the original studies so that you can actually read the methods that led to their statistics & conclusions should you so choose. I do sincerely hope that anyone that does choose to attend stays safe & enjoys themselves.

Thank you for sharing your thoughts on this. You make great points here with this post and attached data. Many younger people think they are immune from getting this virus or that it won't be that bad if they do so they don't wear a mask. The object of the mask is to protect other people from you breathing/coughing/etc on them. Some young and old choose not to wear masks unless made to do so for a variety of reasons. I wear one when I go out because I'm trying to do my part to stop the spread. There are many people that test positive even though they have no symptoms so it wouldn't be right of me to not try to protect them in the event I were positive and didn't know it. The deaths have shown that there are younger and older people that do not survive this virus, whether they had underlying health issues or not. If you take the chance and go anywhere, you could have it and not know it, passing it on to your family and friends who may have a much more severe case. Definitely not trying to tell everyone what to do, but please consider your friends and family. I care enough about mine to want to do what I can to protect them. If I make a dumb decision that affects me then that's on me but it would really bother me if I made a decision that resulted in someone losing their life. JMO

·
Registered
61 Posts
I asked my wife to search FaceBook and she wasn't able to find anything. Since I don't know anything about faceplace, how does one go about finding this page? group? whatever I'm looking for ;)

·
Registered
842 Posts
This meet will be less dangerous than going to the store in my opinion. As to heart disease, I've got 40% blockage in my LAD artery and also in my carotid. My wife's a cardiologist, although she's not my cardiologist, one of her colleagues is. Her and all the partners in the practice who are mostly Asian or Indian are unanimous in the belief that this entire thing is being completely overblown, and the numbers conflated.

My coworker's son just recovered from COVID-19 and remained living in the same house. They did the quarantine thing like good little drones, and guess what - nobody else in the house got it. You cannot tell me they weren't breathing the same air.

That being said, I don't know everything about this virus, and it is a real thing... I just don't believe it's all they say it is - and neither do my doctor wife, her colleagues or in fact her sister who is also a physician.

I say enjoy the event, and take lots of pictures. If everybody can refrain from making out with each other, they'll likely be fine. I'm not able to make it, because I already had two trips planned for October. I'm leaving in the morning for my biannual motorcycle club campout here in North Georgia. People from New York, Ohio, Maryland, Missouri, Florida, Tennessee, Kentucky, Illinois, Indiana, AUSTRALIA and CANADA are coming.

Practice reasonable caution. Beyond that I personally believe it's a waste of time. I wish I owned a mask factory. I'll bet George Soros does.

·
Registered
659 Posts
Well let's see if anyone is going. I plan to go as long as I'm not the only one. Sound off if your going. Just over two weeks to go. Need to make reservations soon.

·
Registered
61 Posts
I won't be able to attend the whole event, but once some details are announced I hope to join up at some point. Sat the 24th is my Wife's B'day, so I would HAVE to be back in Knoxville by 5:00pm! So it all depends on what the plans are.

·
Registered
2003 MR2 Spyder
123 Posts
I really wanted to go but it looks like my work schedule isn't going to work out for me to take time off that weekend 😤 I definitely wanted to attend but I guess I'll have to wait until Spring. Is there a particular weekend this is usually scheduled so I can start planning now?

·
Registered
133 Posts
I may get to come after all. Down to what the wife thinks about me "abandoning" her twice in two weeks to go to the same place that I went three times within a month back in the spring. Gotta live with her...

Sent from my moto g(7) supra using Tapatalk

·
Registered
61 Posts
I'll be there if there is a firm commitment from at least 1 other. Otherwise, my sailboat has been badly neglected this year....

·
Registered
133 Posts
I may get to come after all. Down to what the wife thinks about me "abandoning" her twice in two weeks to go to the same place that I went three times within a month back in the spring. Gotta live with her...

Just spoke to the wife about it. See y'all there!!!

·
Registered
133 Posts
What drives/events are scheduled for Saturday? I can't get there till LATE Friday night.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Well, I'm out.

I've asked several times, and others have as well, for ANY information about when/where's and well..... I'm not going to spend the day driving up and down the mountain hoping to see another 2. I can do that any day, in fact I do the Dragon about once a month as it's just in the next county. Such a shame..... I was looking forward to this.

·
Registered
133 Posts
Well, I'm out.

I've asked several times, and others have as well, for ANY information about when/where's and well..... I'm not going to spend the day driving up and down the mountain hoping to see another 2. I can do that any day, in fact I do the Dragon about once a month as it's just in the next county. Such a shame..... I was looking forward to this.
Mexican restaurant in Robbinsville at 7:30. I was told base of the dam Saturday morning till about 1 then top of the dam after that. If you know the area so well you already know it's not THAT hard to find people/cars.

·
Registered
492 Posts
Discussion Starter #36
Disclaimer: This is not meant to be fear mongering or kill-joy in any way...
I appreciate the input. For me at least, we will be in our own cars or standing in the parking lots (distanced) for the large majority of the event. Meals will be to go and in parking lots / separated, even the Friday night Mexican dinner. No BBQ get together or large house with people in close contact. These steps are reasonable and should be sufficient to largely prevent the spread in my opinion. That festival apparently had packed bars and restaurants, almost no masks, etc.

So Friday night dinner / parking lot car meet picnic will be at 7:30pm at the Mexican restaurant :

El Pacifico/Pacefeco
429 Rodney Orr Bypass, Robbinsville, NC 28771

Then hang around crossroads / run the dragon Saturday morning until the Fontana dam picture at 2pm at the base.

·
Registered
492 Posts
Discussion Starter #37 (Edited)
21 - 37 of 37 Posts