MR2 SpyderChat banner
301 - 320 of 320 Posts

·
Registered
742 Posts
Cats have been ceramic coated for years over here. Ive done it also.

I was warned not to coat a ceramic cat tho only metalic ones.

Well i did coat my ceramic cat and it failed after 3,000 kms :)

Changed to a 100 cell metalic and no issues 6,000 kms and just looked at it last week and no issues.

Looks like its tme for a new Rotrex bracket , one that is solid billet and CNC'ed :)

But ild look at the auto tensioning ( i believe your engines have it ) . The honda guys here stop the auto tensioning and put a bolt on it to tighten it up or they will have belt slip and or them flying off.

More chances of this happening the longer the belt is thats why ( and by luck ) i only have a short belt, crank pulley , idler and Rotrex

·
Registered
1,395 Posts
Cats have been ceramic coated for years over here. Ive done it also.

I was warned not to coat a ceramic cat tho only metalic ones.

Well i did coat my ceramic cat and it failed after 3,000 kms :)

Changed to a 100 cell metalic and no issues 6,000 kms and just looked at it last week and no issues.

Looks like its tme for a new Rotrex bracket , one that is solid billet and CNC'ed :)

But ild look at the auto tensioning ( i believe your engines have it ) . The honda guys here stop the auto tensioning and put a bolt on it to tighten it up or they will have belt slip and or them flying off.

More chances of this happening the longer the belt is thats why ( and by luck ) i only have a short belt, crank pulley , idler and Rotrex

Ceramic substrate cats don't need a lot of help to fail prematurely - any slight amount of detonation will do it. The metal ones flow better and are much more durable.

I don't know that Sammy needs a CNC bracket per-se - he mainly needs some bracing on the front end of the charger. The belt applies a fair amount of tension in his current location / routing and it needs dynamic tension to keep from being bent back (which is what happened). Not that I have anything against a CNC bracket mind you - but if it isn't triangulated then it will just fail over time too.

·
Registered
9,963 Posts
I have the very first gen bracket which wasn't even triangulated. It also got bent. I triangulated it with a piece of half inch metal rod I found lying around the shop. Its still going strong after 60k miles. Forget triangle plates just use a beefy rod :lol:. Although the bracket is now kinda hard to mount with that rod in the way of the bolt.

·
Registered
3,229 Posts
Found one more weak link apparently - The reason it threw the belt is that the lower S/C bracket cracked right at the end of the little triangulation plate on the corner. Looks as though the far (firewall) end of the bracket needs to be triangulated to the block side. We will post pics and update once we get it removed and some more while we get it re-designed.
Sorry to butt my nose into this fantastic thread.

Being the original builder of these mounts I feel obligated to offer as much help as I can in resolving any issues there may be on these parts. I have a full machine shop and am here to help.
Please let me know.

Corky

·
Registered
1,395 Posts
Sorry to butt my nose into this fantastic thread.

Being the original builder of these mounts I feel obligated to offer as much help as I can in resolving any issues there may be on these parts. I have a full machine shop and am here to help.
Please let me know.

Corky
Thanks Corky!

We don't really need any help per se - we obviously have our own machine shop and welders and all that good stuff. If you have a jig for it and wanted to send an unpainted replacement bracket we could just add the triangulation needed - I will post pics this week to show the location of the crack and the nature of the failure that occured, and what I feel needs to be added to correct it.

·
Registered
3,229 Posts
Thanks Corky!

We don't really need any help per se - we obviously have our own machine shop and welders and all that good stuff. If you have a jig for it and wanted to send an unpainted replacement bracket we could just add the triangulation needed - I will post pics this week to show the location of the crack and the nature of the failure that occured, and what I feel needs to be added to correct it.
I'll look and see just what I have left over.

I am most curious to the failure, so so I will be hanging out until the pixs are posted.

Thanks
Corky

·
Registered
1,395 Posts
From an outside perspective.
Looks like material fatigue.
The gusset ends at a point where there isn't any support, seems like it could extend down toward the screw hole a little further.
Yeah - My first blush reaction was that the gusset could have gone an inch further either way and problem solved since it would be braced past the bolt. But that would make that bolt very hard to install. I'm actually thinking a peice of strap, tube or L from the bottom at the end (forward most point) back to the point furthest back where it bolts to the block. Or both.

FYI - this unit now has the 110mm pulley on it, so the belt has more leverage to act on the SC and bracket than the smaller pulleys allow.

·
Registered
3,229 Posts
I have gone thru most of my old Rotrex stuff, and I have nothing left that would be of any help.

I had some bending jigs, and a welding fixture that might have helped out, guess I need to be present and oversee spring cleanings around here.

·
Registered
1,395 Posts
I have gone thru most of my old Rotrex stuff, and I have nothing left that would be of any help.

I had some bending jigs, and a welding fixture that might have helped out, guess I need to be present and oversee spring cleanings around here.
No worries - I appreciate the interest and intent. We will get it fixed up or just build a new one.

·
Registered
1,395 Posts
Update:

Pulled the brackets out this weekend. The lower was only cracked at the gusset weld and was bent but re-useable once we reinforce it. It was NOT fabricated at a 90 degree angle origially, but rather at about 88 degrees.

The initial problem turned out was the upper bracket which had separated entirely at the weld. The welds looked like an attempted fuse and had no penetration to speak of.

We are fixing the lower bracket and re-making the upper.

·
Registered
199 Posts
Finished up the car, tossed it back on the dyno today with the cooler temps to see how it is doing. Also put the rpm pick up on it for the folks who asked for it last time.

our normal STD correction

SAE correction for you SAE folks

·
Registered
1,437 Posts
Finished up the car, tossed it back on the dyno today with the cooler temps to see how it is doing. Also put the rpm pick up on it for the folks who asked for it last time.

our normal STD correction

SAE correction for you SAE folks

2zz right?

·
Registered
1,895 Posts
Discussion Starter · #320 · (Edited)
What was the out come of the SC bracket ?

Did you make a new one or just reweld it ?
They welded in a large triangular brace along the bottom and built a new upper.

Car is currently in the garage fixing a few last minute issues. My LC-1 WBO2 in its original spot had melted, badly. So I was getting erroneous AFRs at the gauge and the Datalogit. I should have a new one in next week. I've also got a set of fans coming for the engine lid, hopefully to cut down on the engine bay temps. I never ran it as hard as Dave or Jason had, so these heat issues had not shown up yet. I've also got a new set of rear toe arms to install, as the originals were slightly bent and the ball joints were in poor shape. Right now I'm replacing a cracked headlight lens. Few other items remain, like a hose that is chaffing on the clutch arm.

I drove it to work a couple times, unfortunately my tags expired, so that was why I parked it. The car is wicked fast, and sounds the part as well. I'll be sure to post up once I have it all buttoned up.

301 - 320 of 320 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.