MR2 SpyderChat banner
1 - 20 of 241 Posts

·
Registered
1,895 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Rather than continuing thread drift in other folks threads I'm starting a new one completely dedicated to my 2ZZ swap. I already had a pretty lengthy thread covering my other mods (http://spyderchat.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=49325) but this will be a little more one dimensional. I'll still continue to update the other thread as I complete mods.

So for starters, I already have a 2ZZ and 6sp from a 2003 Vibe:

My list of items NTB:

Moroso Oil Pan
Shifter Shaft
LR Header
Engine Mount
TRD LSD
Dif bearings/seals
Wiring Harness
Modded Dipstick
Reverse Detent
ACT HD Clutch
Fidanza Flywheel
ARP FW Bolts

MWR has them in stock, but I'm trying to see what I can pick up second hand from other members before pulling the trigger. The problem is I'm on a bit of a time crunch, as I want to start and finish this swap the first two weeks of July (have vacation time built up.)

So to start with, if anyone has these bits for sale, hit me up.

Second; what other suggestions would you have for improving the engine while I have it out and in the garage. Basically, what "gotta have" mods should I look into? I would like to go FI someday, but it will probably be over a year away due to my upcoming year long Middle East escapades.

Expect to see many more questions to follow.

·
Registered
132 Posts
Did ya get your brake problem figured out? Looks like you're gonna need them!! Have fun w/ the swap!

·
Registered
8,303 Posts
Sammy while you have the motor out you will want to tap the EGR holes and plug them. It will be easier with the motor out than in.
Its the 4 holes above the main exhaust ports.

I used a 3/8-16 NC tap. And got some hex head plugs from a local hardware store. Add a little red thread lock and your all set.

·
Registered
8,303 Posts
Also don't let any of the metal shavings fall into the motor. I spun the crank so that the exhaust valve were closed on the port I was working on then I have a shop vac with a small attachment that let me get into the ports and vacuum all the shavings out. Then I sprayed some brake cleaner in there to flush everything else. Just to be sure.

·
Registered
1,895 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (eddielives! @ May 20 2008, 06:04 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
Did ya get your brake problem figured out? Looks like you're gonna need them!! Have fun w/ the swap![/b]
I have a new master cylinder on its way to me. I also picked up one of these: http://www.motiveproducts.com/02bleeders.html For the price the local dealer charged to power bleed, I could have almost bought two. Hopefully between that, a new MC, and speed bleeders I'll have it worked out. The brakes work now, just very poor pedal feel.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (WhyT @ May 20 2008, 06:15 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
Sammy while you have the motor out you will want to tap the EGR holes and plug them. It will be easier with the motor out than in.
Its the 4 holes above the main exhaust ports.[/b]
Exhaust Gas Return? Glad you mentioned it, because I don't think I've read about that in any of the 2ZZ swap threads. Well now I have something new to search for.

And it looks like nows a great time to start the swap, I'm finding oil on top of the valve cover by the dip stick. Not sure exactly where it's coming from though. I washed the engine bay down today, removed the valve cover trim, ran it and still found a small amount of oil. It's not a great amount, just enough to wet the right top side of the engine. I'm not going to bother troubleshooting it, as the engine is coming out soon enough.

I forgot to mention that I also plan to get the Moroso pan to help lower temps.

Any other things I should look to do on the 2ZZ? I plan on stripping it down and painting it, and just a good once over and compression check. I'm debating whether or not to replace the head gasket and timing chain. What is the change interval on the chain BTW?

·
Registered
8,303 Posts
I wouldn't mess with either. The chain should last (and I'm guessing here) 200k and the head gasket hell, Forever?

On the EGR ports I hadn't read anything either. I noticed them immediatly but didn't do anything until I got my header from LR. I thought maybe his head would have a flange that covered them up. So I posted the question and everyone knew what was going on but I don't think I ever found anything.

About the Moroso pan I would just not put it on and send it to me. I think that is the best thing for both of us. Or at least me.
No really though I would look into getting the adapters to lower the oil pickup.

·
Registered
30 Posts
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Sammy Sandbag @ May 20 2008, 03:50 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
Basically, what "gotta have" mods should I look into?[/b]

A 2zz without PFC is a complete dog until 7k rpms. The PFC unlocks more than just lift crossover, it uncovers around 10-20whp between 4500 rpm to redline. Plus, it's a great precursor to FI.

·
Registered
8,303 Posts
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Kevin Beane @ May 21 2008, 08:43 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
2ZZ water pump... the one with the better impeller.

Decat pipe (good for 11HP!)

Another vote for Power FC (and Datalogit and wideband O2 sensor). I'd skip the LSD to have these. Actually that's exactly what I did.[/b]
That was weird I quoted you Beane and it had the decat pipe part in it but it wasn't there when I read your post. I thought I was losing my mind.

Ok now for the point of this post. Don't you think that his 2zz would come with a 2zz water pump?

·
Registered
1,895 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
As for the PFC, I think I'm still going to wait. I don't think I have the time to play around with tuning it for some time to come. I'll probably run a 2000-01 Celica GT-S ECU until such a time. The LSD now because I'll have the tranny out and ready, where from what I read the PFC would be a simply plug-n-tune item. I would consider it if I could get one cheap and I knew of a local tuner that could help with the tuning. Bottom line is I want something factory reliable until I can get enough free time to play with it.

The water pump came with the engine.

As for the straight downpipe: I currently have a PPE high flow cat DP, and was planning on using it. Sure the extra horsepower would be nice, but I'm not too keen on running without cats.

·
Registered
582 Posts
Since the motor is out of the car i'd suggest you get also:

1) Hondata Intake Manifold Gasket

2) Flywheel and Clutch Kit.Better to do it now and save some labor money if the stock parts are at the end of their life.

·
Registered
6,929 Posts
=-['/banmeplease

·
Registered
582 Posts
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (grumpy @ May 21 2008, 10:27 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Christopherathens @ May 21 2008, 10:22 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Since the motor is out of the car i'd suggest you get also:

1) Hondata Intake Manifold Gasket

2) Flywheel and Clutch Kit.Better to do it now and save some labor money if the stock parts are at the end of their life.[/b]

If you really are going to go FI the Hondata gasket will not hold up. At least the guys on NC.com who have gone FI have had them go bad.
[/b][/quote]

Yes,indeed grumpy!

But,for an NA motor,even a slight intake temp reduction is always a good thing!

·
Registered
6,929 Posts
=[]'/banmeplease

·
Registered
1,895 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (grumpy @ May 21 2008, 10:37 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
I agree but if he goes FI in a year the $70 will be wasted. If he stays NA it is a good thing to have.[/b]
I'm looking to follow in your footsteps and go with a Rotrex sometime down the road. So for now I'm looking for suggestions on what I need to do to the engine/trans while it is easily accessible.

As for clutch/flywheel: I had that thought as well. The clutch (assuming it's OE) has approx 60k miles on it. I haven't owned or worked on a manual car in 10 years, so I'm not up on what is good or bad. Also not sure of the condition of the current clutch/fly. Any advise is much appreciated, thanks guys.

·
Registered
8,303 Posts
I would go ahead and get a LWF and new clutch. I bought the Fidanza FW and 3.2 clutch from MWR. But alot of people here like the ACT clutches.

·
Registered
1,895 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (WhyT @ May 21 2008, 10:47 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
I would go ahead and get a LWF and new clutch. I bought the Fidanza FW and 3.2 clutch from MWR. But alot of people here like the ACT clutches.[/b]
I'll check into those.

What of air intake? I've read of using the cheap ebay models, but I've yet to find a "how to" or even some photos to go by.

·
Registered
1,895 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Well after another full day+ of hammering the search function and reading till my head hurts, I have some updates to the list:

ACT HD Clutch
Fidanza Flywheel
ARP FW Bolts

I was sorta going back and forth between the Fidanza 2.1 and ACT HD, but it seems most folks like the ACT. The Fidanza is less expensive though.

And back to the intake. I've found several different variants of the "Bomz" intake including a ram style and one for the Matrix.

1 - 20 of 241 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.