MR2 SpyderChat banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
163 Posts
I'm in the market for a sandwich plate as well. I've read that you don't use it, but i watched a tutorial video of them installing one and they used the white teflon tape. maybe it's a preference/peace of mind thing.

·
Registered
6,930 Posts
=-p;l.,

·
Registered
1,895 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
If I'm correctly picturing in my mind what you're saying, where's the oil to go?
Curt, you just confused the hell out of both of us.

If you are talking the part/adaptor/fitting that holds the sandwisch plate to the block and the oil filter screws onto I used teflon tape on it. But I tend to overthink/overdo things.
Yes. I couldn't find a recommendation anywhere. I went ahead and did it without any tape or thread lock, my reasoning being that it's basically no different than a oil filter. My only concern is that it may loosen over time, whereas the oil filter is meant to come on and off, the sandwich plate should not.

·
Registered
1,011 Posts
I didn't use any sealant or tape on mine and its been on there for a couple years. I guess if it did leak, that bit of oil would just bypass the filter. I think.

·
Registered
1,895 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I didn't use any sealant or tape on mine and its been on there for a couple years. I guess if it did leak, that bit of oil would just bypass the filter. I think.
Good to know. Guess I was more concern with the bolts backing off, rather than small amounts of leakage. So I suppose usage of Loctite would be a better question. But sounds as though that isn't necessary either.

·
Registered
1,990 Posts
I did not use anything on mine where it attaches to the block. The AN unions will need it on the tapered thread side

·
Registered
1,415 Posts
treat the sandwich just like a filter oil the o-ring and tighten until snug then a three quarter turn then install your filter the same no leaks and can be removed by hand without needing a filter wrench

·
Registered
1,772 Posts
I was referring to the fitting that holds the snadwich plate to the block, and onto which the filter screws. The pressure differential between the oil inside that fitting that that which is passing around it has got to be minimal. I use a medium strength Loc-Tite on those threads, as I don't want it coming loose as I unscrew the filter.
I do not like using plumber's teflon tape for anything involving petroleum products. I much prefer either-
ARP Thread Seal, #100-9904
or
Permatex Form-a-Gasker Sealant Liquid, #765-1210.
I've never had a problem with either of these.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts