MR2 SpyderChat banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
492 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I've done quite a bit of research but I can't tell which class would be the best, legal class for me.
First of all, list of mods:

Tein S Tech springs (110 front, 160 rear)
Sway bars front and rear
Single-diagonal Hard Dog roll bar
C's short shifter
Custom exhaust with Ebay headers (a high-flow cat and magnaflow
Factory hardtop (I believe, one from MikeV's thread)
soft-top (including frame) cut out, and all fabric and soft-top associated pieces are out
Almost all plastics behind the seats removed; still have storage floors in but cut around the rollbar
stock rims with Kumho XS 205-50-15 all around
ABS unplugged/disabled
Front lip from a passat (cut to fit)

So the missing plastics/soft-top takes me out of CSP and I think SSM? So I have to run in DP? I'm pretty sure my car is severely outclassed in DP, but if that's my class, that's my class. :( Also, any easy modification suggestions for possible classes are welcome. I'm not trying to go to nationals, but I don't want to bring a knife to a gun fight...

·
Registered
2,932 Posts
ABS unplugged/disabled
Umm, yah... I am going to plug that in next time I see you:p You are about to be a married man, you have to start thinking about safety^_^ Besides, with ABS you can brake later and harder!

·
Registered
1,580 Posts
Run in DP, thats where gutted interior puts you.

I feel like I say this to everyone and no one believes me but your class is completely irrelevant unless your at a national event.

Also, not to discourage you but technically your tires and wheels alone make your car a knife in a gun fight in any class you could possibly enter, even in the street tire classes. Therefore, I wouldn't worry at all about "competitiveness" especially if you are new to autocross. You will learn soon that the car is almost a non factor compared to driver differences. With this in mind, run in DP and have fun experiencing the limit of your car safely.

·
Registered
492 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Run in DP, thats where gutted interior puts you.

I feel like I say this to everyone and no one believes me but your class is completely irrelevant unless your at a national event.

Also, not to discourage you but technically your tires and wheels alone make your car a knife in a gun fight in any class you could possibly enter, even in the street tire classes. Therefore, I wouldn't worry at all about "competitiveness" especially if you are new to autocross. You will learn soon that the car is almost a non factor compared to driver differences. With this in mind, run in DP and have fun experiencing the limit of your car safely.
I am fairly experienced, more in my old 05 civic, but I'm catching up in my Spyder (plus a track day). I got about 20th out of 60 in raw and pax while in CSP last event, and I never really had a good run. My fastest run I grabbed 4th on accident, :lol: There were 2 well prepped AW11's in DP and I was 1 second and 2 seconds (raw time) behind them as well. And to your classes statement, sure I may not get protested but if I go run CSP and beat someone almost every time, that wouldn't be very fair to them and may prevent someone who's good from pursuing an attempt at nationals. But as you suggested, I'll probably run in DP from now on, then if I beat them, all the more thrill of victory. Thanks for the advice.

·
Registered
1,897 Posts
Id be down to hit up a couple events with you cause I've never been classed and I would like to see what I can do compred to anyone else. Let me know what goes on with the next event besides cfrc.

·
Registered
492 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Umm, yah... I am going to plug that in next time I see you:p You are about to be a married man, you have to start thinking about safety^_^ Besides, with ABS you can brake later and harder!
There's times when the ABS kicks in waaay too early, only when turning. At the last autocross, without ABS, it was much more predictable. I feel like I gained more confidence in trail braking and that outweighed the minimal gains of straight braking where the ABS is better than a human. I'm still experimenting though.

On the street, my civic didn't have ABS and I still don't feel like I need it, I can immediately tell if I'm losing traction and pump once and get back to almost losing traction quite quickly. If anything, if I have ABS on, it's when swerving and braking that I would be even more scared that it would ice and I just wouldn't stop (which has happened at the track and caused me to try unplugging it).

Id be down to hit up a couple events with you cause I've never been classed and I would like to see what I can do compred to anyone else. Let me know what goes on with the next event besides cfrc.
Definitely, it's a whole different league of competition out there, but fun nonetheless. I will probably only go to Geneva, Deland, or maybe Sebring if FlyinMr2 goes too. I'll let you know though.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts