MR2 SpyderChat banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

· Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Spyderchat member VAGperformance asked:
>Would you mind making a post in the motosport section outlining what these types of events are? Are there class systems, membership requirements, etc.

SCCA RoadRallies are run all across the country, and come in three flavors:
1) TSD Tour rallies: Contestants each follow a prescribed course at an exact speed (which changes as conditions change. Every so often, at unknown points, their time of arrival is recorded, and they get penalty points for each 100/th of a minute that they are early or late. Some people run with computers and can rally all day with just a few points. The route is extremely easy to follow.
2) TSD Course rallies: just like the above, except the proper course is not always obvious, and if you go the wrong way (even if you keep perfect timing) you will get lots of penalty points. Some people love the challenge of proper route following under these conditions.
3) GTA rallies. Some people call them "gimmick" rallies. They may be just like the above, but without the timing requirements. Scoring is by some other method, often finding certain signs or landmarks. Not quite so high-pressure, but still lots of fun.

There are no membership requirements. TSD rallies are classed by equipment (rally computer, stop-watch and 4-function calculator, or paper and pencil). GTA rallies are classed by experience: First-timer, Novice, General, or Master. GTA is all we do here in Dallas/Ft worth.

The driver must have a valid driver's license and proof of insurance. The navigator must be old enough to read the instructions, otherwise there are no requirements. More people are allowed, but they are usually not much help. Any minor (under 18) must have a "Minor's Release" signed by both parents.

Cars leave the start at one-minute intervals, and have an overall time to reach the finish.
Winners get points in a local and a national championship series.

There are more details, but you will find out when you run your first event! Or you can go to www.texasscca.org/rally.html or www.scca.com for more info.

· Registered
6,281 Posts

There are no membership requirements.
So you're saying non-SCCA members pay the same entry fee as SCCA members? If so, I wish this was how it's done in SOLOII...

· Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
So you're saying non-SCCA members pay the same entry fee as SCCA members? If so, I wish this was how it's done in SOLOII...
No, I didn't mean to imply that. You do not have to be a member to enter our rallies. You can even win a year-end trophy in our championship series without joining. But we do charge non-members more than members to enter.

· Registered
6,281 Posts
No, I didn't mean to imply that. You do not have to be a member to enter our rallies. You can even win a year-end trophy in our championship series without joining. But we do charge non-members more than members to enter.
It wasn't necessarily implied, it's just the "no membership requirements" caught my eye.

BOLD; This IS interesting. It certainly isn't that way in SOLOII. If one isn't an SCCA member, they can't win a season championship, at least with the regions with which I'm familiar; Indy and Columbus in Indiana.

· Premium Member
3,288 Posts
I wish they held these events in the wisconsin/Great lakes region. Any chance something could be set-up?

· Registered
6,281 Posts
I find it odd that we have no Rally events in Northern California? WTH is up with that! I would happily participate in a Road Rally series in Northern California.

:icon_thumright:

Anderson
Check-out the CSCC(that's California Sports Car Club)...and you do understand a "Road Rally" is not a speed event like a WRC or Pro Rally event, right(just checking...)?

· Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
there are rallies in wisconsin and northern california

I wish they held these events in the wisconsin/Great lakes region. Any chance something could be set-up?
Go to www.scca.com and click on the rally tab. Then over on the left, click on calendar. You should find Wisconsin and Great Lakes rallies, if not this month, check back.

In the lower peninsula area of Northern CA there is a great rally series, mostly "Course Marker" events. Go to www.therallyeclub.org .

SCCA rallies concentrate in the Northeast, the Northwest, Great Lakes area, and Southern CA + AZ. Oh yes, and ours in DFW.

· Registered
816 Posts
Go to www.scca.com and click on the rally tab. Then over on the left, click on calendar. You should find Wisconsin and Great Lakes rallies, if not this month, check back.

In the lower peninsula area of Northern CA there is a great rally series, mostly "Course Marker" events. Go to www.therallyeclub.org .

SCCA rallies concentrate in the Northeast, the Northwest, Great Lakes area, and Southern CA + AZ. Oh yes, and ours in DFW.
Thank you! This is exactly what I was looking for.

:icon_thumright:

Anderson

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.