MR2 SpyderChat banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
1,177 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
For several weeks now I have been racking my brain on what's been going on with the audio in my car. My head unit keeps turning itself on and off. The only electrical affected seems to be the head unit. I've gone over wires and connections multiple times, and I had just assumed I needed a new battery after I verified the wiring was okay; however, driving home I realized my head unit keeps cutting off in the same exact location. The school zone before my house.

I've never heard of it before, and it took me quite some time to notice the location, but every single day coming in and going out of the area it shuts off. I have to drive through that school zone and my head unit just cuts out. It does not do this anywhere else. Once I am out, it is clear. No problems, but coming back home, off again. It did this coming home from work, leaving to the gym, back from the gym. Yesterday leaving to the gym, coming home from the gym, and the days that came before. Like I said it took me a while to realize it but could something in the area be messing with my head unit? It seems unlikely but it's too repetitive in one spot to be coincidence.

As I was writing this I realized that my stock unit cd player stopped working in the exact area when I was just trying to go to the store down the street. CD player never worked again. Could it be some sort of fuse issue affected by the area? It seems a bit unreal a location tampering with my audio and not affecting anything else, but it never fails.

·
Registered
1,177 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Gotta admit, I miss Jack Bauer, and touch doesn't quite cut it, but seriously it has never happened in the galant, friends cars, any of the maximas or the g37. I've driven by the area multiple times this is definitely more recent. I don't see how the construction they just finished has any affect on my power. New paved roads and more lanes in the same area but paved roads and my audio seems like a hug unrealistic stretch. Im at the gas station right now, typing this from my phone however leaving from my house, cut off again.

·
Registered
257 Posts
I would do some digging with the local/city police to see what, if anything, they may have in place for safety. Maybe something to the effect of an audio-interrupt feature disabling signal, to prevent people from talking on their phones while driving through the zone? Seems they would have to post some sort of notice to implement something of that nature. Borrow your friend's vanilla Camry and roll up to the police and ask, I would say. Personally I'm really curious as to the cause.

·
Registered
1,733 Posts
Stock head unit or aftermarket head unit?

If aftermarket head unit, does it have built-in GPS?

·
Registered
578 Posts
Stock head unit or aftermarket head unit?
If aftermarket head unit, does it have built-in GPS?
hmmm...interesting possibility. Does the head unit have a wireless remote? I suppose that some sort of external device --speed radar, laser, or something of that nature could accidentally trigger that.

·
Registered
587 Posts
Could be one of the following issues:

1. When your head unit shuts off (it's not really off) the government is secretley listening in on your conversation and they will use any information obtained against you.

2. Aliens are trying to send you a message to come back to the mother ship as your mission on earth is complete.

3. Your head unit is trying to tell you its life is all but over its only a matter of time before it needs replaced.

4. Your listening to crap music and the head unit is tired of playing crap music so it shuts its self down in hope that it will get it's point across.

·
Registered
1,115 Posts
Before I could even finish reading the title of the thread I thought it was a good jammer you were proposing to combat obnoxious music in socially special neighborhoods.

·
Registered
1,016 Posts
Could be one of the following issues:

2. Aliens are trying to send you a message to come back to the mother ship as your mission on earth is complete.

I was going to say: "Do you have unexplained memory loss and vague recollections of an anal-probe and bright lights?"^_^

·
Registered
1,587 Posts
Does it cut off in any other school zones in the area? If so/not, what is similar/different about them?

·
Registered
1,177 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
4. Your listening to crap music and the head unit is tired of playing crap music so it shuts its self down in hope that it will get it's point across

lol maybe!

but its after market. installed it maybe about 2 months ago? which is why I've gone over the wires multiple multiple times. finally I ruled it out, the wiring is solid. It just had to be the battery, sometimes I would pull over, turn the car off, and restart it. Just so happens I would always make the first turn in the same parking lot to to do that.

I assumed it had to be the battery. I get in the car, drive not even 200 yards from my house and it would shut off so I had come to the conclusion the battery was going out, and if it was a cold start the head unit was the first to fade out. However recently I've been driving the car for quite some time away from my house without a problem then upon entering the area, it shuts off yet again. After the gas station post I made my return home a bit later, and sure enough a few feet infront of the school zone dropping off a friend. Off it goes.

Think I am going to have to fix the situation with a new battery. The infiniti does not do this.

·
Registered
1,177 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Does it cut off in any other school zones in the area? If so/not, what is similar/different about them?
Negative, it is only that specific one. I drove passed 2 other school zones today, and probably more at other times, but it hasn't cut off in other places. Most of the time school zones makes the K band signal go off on my radar, but that's all. Nothing like the HU cut off.

·
Registered
1,016 Posts
Originally Posted by High_Colorado

I was going to say: "anal-probe"

At least we know whats on your mind.
SIR, I just turned the magic age that I need certain things done by physicians... and I happen to have an endocrynologist that can do them...this is her: (not kidding ... she went to med skool in Russia and has an amazing accent...I call her "my James Bond Dr.")

so, yeah, it is often on my mind :rolleyes:

·
Registered
1,115 Posts
how much you payin that endocrynologist to be a proctologist?

·
Registered
2,543 Posts
'We've reached the limits of what can be learned by anal probing'

(I've hard this somewhere, maybe a TV show, but I don't remember)

·
Registered
587 Posts
:icon_thumright:
Originally Posted by High_Colorado

I was going to say: "anal-probe"

SIR, I just turned the magic age that I need certain things done by physicians... and I happen to have an endocrynologist that can do them...this is her: (not kidding ... she went to med skool in Russia and has an amazing accent...I call her "my James Bond Dr.")

so, yeah, it is often on my mind :rolleyes:

Judging by that photo I can see why you call her James Bond rather than Charlies Angel maybe it's her abnormally large fingers that makes you think of it often.:icon_thumright::icon_thumright:

·
Registered
1,016 Posts
how much you payin that endocrynologist to be a proctologist?
good point. I am mentioning PSA tests, which is optional but available if asked with the regular thyroid workup (panels) (annual)... but my mind still wanders. Sorry about the thread-jack Narcosis, but I mention aliens and probes and all hell broke loose.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts