MR2 SpyderChat banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
1,029 Posts
That didn't take very long. Wonder if we're going to see something similar in pro-stock/circuit racing?

·
Registered
8,436 Posts
The BRZ will race as a subaru Japan.

Toyota does not race scions. Toyota will race under toyota or lexus.

·
Registered
729 Posts
Not gonna lie, drifting that thing looks pretty damn fun....if only I could afford new tires every week lol

·
Registered
23,073 Posts
Funny that a year ago before the introduction of this car I knew there was going to be a rush to be the first one to modify it for the sake of being the first. Kind of lame if you ask me.

It's like a person waits for it to be unloaded off the dealer truck right into the tuner shop. Can't waste any time, got to be the first.

·
Registered
1,705 Posts
The FRS is going to be marketed as a go to the track drift car. At least thats what I took from what people are saying and Toyo offering different types of differentials.

·
Registered
7,661 Posts
At least they stuck with a Toyota V8 instead of a damn lsx as everyone else does.

·
Registered
8,436 Posts
so does that mean we will see a gt500 LFA?
The LFA raced several time in 24 hour races before it was even made. Toyota considers races like the 24 hours of Nurbergring as manufacturer supported.

Yes. The LFA is replacing the SC430 in GT500. But GT500 is limited to a 3.4L V8 so no v10 in the LFA.

I also the IS350 still runs in GT300.

·
Registered
8,436 Posts
That car has over 500hp.

·
Registered
217 Posts
Good to see they found a better use for the IS-F engine. Not saying the IS-F is bad, i wouldn't mind owning one, but they are definitely no track car with their auto box and luxury features.

At least with N/A engines there's more reliability than going a turbo route. Will be interesting to see what option they go for with an STI or TRD version of the 86... i get the feeling it will just be a more tuned or higher displacement N/A engine with the way things are going with jap cars and their lack of turbo models these days compared to the past.

·
Registered
8,436 Posts
The Auto in the IS-F is pretty good. It rev matches and doesn't do any weird sudden shifting. It's probably faster on a track than a manual.

The IS350 trans is not very good as a performance trans.

·
Registered
297 Posts
At least they stuck with a Toyota V8 instead of a damn lsx as everyone else does.
This is a D1 drift car for Japan, not Formula D in the states where the LS V8 swaps are plentiful. On other notes, I heard Hibino and Taniguchi both will be competing with supercharged versions of the FT-86. So whether intentional from Toyota or not, this sure seems to be the new favorite drift car.

Another Vid of Orido's V8 86

Taniguchi's HKS Supercharged 86

·
Registered
618 Posts
I'm not a huge fan of drifting but I don't hate it. It just happens to be the most popular/accessible and if it elevates the visibility of motorsports in general, I'm all for it. There are other less popular facets of motorsports that this car will be involved in. $35k and $55k versions of the 86 will come equipped with roll cage and optional air jacks built specifically for consumers to enter certain racing series in Japan.

Here's a nicely edited promo vid of that GT300 BRZ mentioned earlier.

Same driver of that Super GT BRZ is also racing this BRZ in a pro gymkhana series.

And an 86 is in the works for rally.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts