1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
770 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

·
Registered
4,120 Posts
Im 95 percent positive that one is. Your cables will plug directly into that.

·
Registered
138 Posts
That stereo should be plug and play; however, the T1807 model does not have iPod connectivity (if you're interested in that). Other than that, it should be identical to T1806.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Scion T1806 HU button control backlight not working

I bought a '06-'07 Scion T1806 Radio on eBay and it is basically plug'n'play for any Toyota with a 6 & 10 prong plug in the back. The side brackets and faceplate were a direct switchover, too.

Beware that some of the after-market 6-prong adapter plugs do NOT have the needed EIR orange dimmer wire in it (only the 4 violet & green rear speaker wires.
[EDIT] Fix: I moved one of the unused purple Rt Rear speaker wires to the #5 location, next to the green/blk wire (Mono sub uses only left 'green' channel). If you are running two subs, return the adapter plug and get a different brand that has the orange wire.

The interior dimmer on the dash (white wire w/green stripe) then dims both the knob backlight AND the screen. The buttons only light up when the parking or headlights are on.

FYI:
  • If you go to Crutchfield.com > Support > Knowledge Base and then 'Search' for MR2 or Scion wiring, you can get the radio wiring diagrams. Crutchfield has them, but makes them hard to access on their website; there are no direct links.
  • The similar Scion T1807 does NOT have the 5th (CD Changer) jack in the back for the iPod cable SC12235.
  • The hard-to-find AUX (MP3) cable is model# SC12237, and sometimes up for sale on eBay.
  • The newer Scion radios also have a 12-prong and 20 prong plugs, for steering wheel controls and a satellite radio adapter, but people are adapting these jacks for other uses over time as they figure out the wiring, and as needs change.
  • There is a shop in SoCal that can add a MP3 mini-plug to the front of the radio for about $65+ shipping. I would like to know how they do it! Please add to this thread if you know how to do that.
  • The Scion radios have yellowish-orange backlights; the T1806 and some others have color change displays, but everything but orange looks wierd or is annoying. The 'Mixer' setting changes the color every 5 seconds, which is super-annoying. Too bad the interval isn't adjustable.
  • The 'Scion' label is a bitch to remove. I scratched off what I could, then gave up and used a black Sharpie.
  • The display says 'Scion' when turned on; that can be changed to 'MRS-Spyder' or whatever you want. See the radio's manual for instructions. Downside is the change is lost if you disconnect the battery.
  • Neither Scion radio above has the red +white RC pre-amp output jacks for a direct amp/subwoofer connection (and I don't yet know which iPod-compatible Toyota/Scion OEM radios do).
  • Built-in Amp in the OEM Toyota/Scion radios supplies 40W per channel, which is fine for door speakers.
    In comparison, my 720W(max) 3-channel Kenwood KAC-8405 Amp supplies 'only' 60W (avg) to the 2 door speakers, 180W to the 8" PolkMM UDsub. This equals 300W average output. Maximum Ratings (such as 720W) on amplifiers is misleading, but all manufacturers adertise that number since it sells more amps.

• Scion Radios have the 'SSP' button, which boosts the sound and gives you surround sound. 'Normal' is bland and makes it easier to hold a conversation in the car. Next setting is like being in the concert hall, and the third is like being on stage! This why people like this HU.
  • The Big Green Book (BGB ) MR2 Spyder shop manual does NOT have the main wiring diagrams (at least in my copy). They just show little snapshots of the wiring here and there under specific troubleshooting topics. NOT very much info is given on the OEM radio that is useful for swap-outs.
  • If the CD player doesn't play and gives no error statements, try turning the car off & on with a disk inside the player. If that makes it work, then the problem is an electrical one, not a defective CD player, and that is on another thread. I don't have the answer to it yet. Hopefully someone does.

·
Registered
1,733 Posts
HOWEVER, the backlight for the T1806's controls is not lighting up. The Matrix website mentions this is a common problem when switching to the Scion radios. The display screen works fine. The wiring diagram for the two radios (MR2/Scion) seems to be identical, except for the wires to the Scion's rear speakers coming out from the 6-prong plug, while the MR2 doesn't have 'em. The after-market 6-prong adapter (MH-77) did not even have the EIR orange dimmer wire in it (only the 4 rear speaker wires. I moved one of the unused purple Rt Rear speaker wires to that location (Mono sub uses only left channel).
Interesting.. I have the T1806 stereo in my car and have no issues with the backlit controls. :confused: The T1806 was a plug & play swap and can be fitted with an iPod-specific input cable (purchased on eBay for $15-20) or a universal input like the Metra AXXESS AIP-TY01-ID (for both iPod and standard 1/8" headphone jacks).

Previously, I had swapped the '00 stock head unit for an '08 Matrix head unit. The dimmer was reversed (i.e., setting the dash lights low made the stereo brighter and vice versa), so I just left it sitting on a midpoint setting.

I would love to find a small plug & play OEM amplifier like the 2000 4Runner factory amp (Part #86280-35080) that fits in line with the existing wiring.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Scion CD Player Radio T1806 T1807

The CD Player will only play in either of these Scion radios if I turn the car off and on again. If I switch to radio and then back to CD, it won't play the CD. There is no error statement. Turning the radio unit off and on doesn't help. Radio function works fine.

Something is whacky in the wiring, but what? What is 'different' about start-up power vs radio switch power, from a radio's point of View? Is it getting too much or not enough current on one of the lines?
It is wired identical to the '01 MR2's OEM unit, except for the speaker output wires now running to an amp.

Anyone else experience this? Were you able to figure out how to fix it?

·
Registered
770 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
The CD Player will only play in either of these Scion radios if I turn the car off and on again. If I switch to radio and then back to CD, it won't play the CD. There is no error statement. Turning the radio unit off and on doesn't help. Radio function works fine.

Something is whacky in the wiring, but what? What is 'different' about start-up power vs radio switch power, from a radio's point of View? Is it getting too much or not enough current on one of the lines?
It is wired identical to the '01 MR2's OEM unit, except for the speaker output wires now running to an amp.

Anyone else experience this? Were you able to figure out how to fix it?
Were you ever able to correct this problem?
If so, how?

·
Registered
1,733 Posts
Were you ever able to correct this problem?
If so, how?
Hrm.. interesting. I'll have to recreate this scenario at home. I know the LCD screen can be easily reprogrammed to display something other than "SCION" when the radio powers up upon start-up .. which it does NOT do upon powering up the radio after start-up.

·
Registered
9,798 Posts
I bought a '06-'07 Scion T1806 Radio on eBay and it is basically plug'n'play for any Toyota with a 6 & 10 prong plug in the back. The side brackets and faceplate were a direct switchover, too.

Beware that some of the after-market 6-prong adapter plugs do NOT have the needed EIR orange dimmer wire in it (only the 4 violet & green rear speaker wires.
[EDIT] Fix: I moved one of the unused purple Rt Rear speaker wires to the #5 location, next to the green/blk wire (Mono sub uses only left 'green' channel). If you are running two subs, return the adapter plug and get a different brand that has the orange wire.

The interior dimmer on the dash (white wire w/green stripe) then dims both the knob backlight AND the screen. The buttons only light up when the parking or headlights are on.

FYI:
  • If you go to Crutchfield.com > Support > Knowledge Base and then 'Search' for MR2 or Scion wiring, you can get the radio wiring diagrams. Crutchfield has them, but makes them hard to access on their website; there are no direct links.
  • The similar Scion T1807 does NOT have the 5th (CD Changer) jack in the back for the iPod cable SC12235.
  • The hard-to-find AUX (MP3) cable is model# SC12237, and sometimes up for sale on eBay.
  • The newer Scion radios also have a 12-prong and 20 prong plugs, for steering wheel controls and a satellite radio adapter, but people are adapting these jacks for other uses over time as they figure out the wiring, and as needs change.
  • There is a shop in SoCal that can add a MP3 mini-plug to the front of the radio for about $65+ shipping. I would like to know how they do it! Please add to this thread if you know how to do that.
  • The Scion radios have yellowish-orange backlights; the T1806 and some others have color change displays, but everything but orange looks wierd or is annoying. The 'Mixer' setting changes the color every 5 seconds, which is super-annoying. Too bad the interval isn't adjustable.
  • The 'Scion' label is a bitch to remove. I scratched off what I could, then gave up and used a black Sharpie.
  • The display says 'Scion' when turned on; that can be changed to 'MRS-Spyder' or whatever you want. See the radio's manual for instructions. Downside is the change is lost if you disconnect the battery.
  • Neither Scion radio above has the red +white RC pre-amp output jacks for a direct amp/subwoofer connection (and I don't yet know which iPod-compatible Toyota/Scion OEM radios do).
  • Built-in Amp in the OEM Toyota/Scion radios supplies 40W per channel, which is fine for door speakers.
    In comparison, my 720W(max) 3-channel Kenwood KAC-8405 Amp supplies 'only' 60W (avg) to the 2 door speakers, 180W to the 8" PolkMM UDsub. This equals 300W average output. Maximum Ratings (such as 720W) on amplifiers is misleading, but all manufacturers adertise that number since it sells more amps.

• Scion Radios have the 'SSP' button, which boosts the sound and gives you surround sound. 'Normal' is bland and makes it easier to hold a conversation in the car. Next setting is like being in the concert hall, and the third is like being on stage! This why people like this HU.
  • The Big Green Book (BGB ) MR2 Spyder shop manual does NOT have the main wiring diagrams (at least in my copy). They just show little snapshots of the wiring here and there under specific troubleshooting topics. NOT very much info is given on the OEM radio that is useful for swap-outs.
  • If the CD player doesn't play and gives no error statements, try turning the car off & on with a disk inside the player. If that makes it work, then the problem is an electrical one, not a defective CD player, and that is on another thread. I don't have the answer to it yet. Hopefully someone does.
Seriously i've only seen you in two threads and I have to vote you MVP of being the most informative and helpful on this forum for this month :lol:

·
Registered
770 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
So, over the weekend I got the Scion Head Unit installed, thanks to the step by step very accurate details from Crutchfields.

The kicker speakers, however, were not so good. Crutchfield had included adaptors that they said would work, however they do not match the speaker mounting holes in the door. I called their support line and was told that they do not have an adaptor to match the MR2 spyder mounting holes. Funny I was not told that when I ordered them.

Anyway, the head unit is much better than stock (as others have attested to) but my SSP button only has options for NEUTRAL, HEAR AND FEEL. I assume these are the same as the ones SuziRider speaks of, only named something else. If not, and I am not doing something I should be to achieve surround sound, someone please advise.

I will reattempt the speaker install after I bring my electric drill home from work and post the results. I am hoping that I will get better results than I am getting with the stock speakers, that vibrate and distort with the new radio.

Also, my scion HU volume control stops at 60 and reads "MAXIMUM VOLUME". Is this as loud as it goes?? The OEM radio had much more volume which I find strange. Any info on this, please let me know.

Thanks, as always.

·
Registered
1,733 Posts
Anyway, the head unit is much better than stock (as others have attested to) but my SSP button only has options for NEUTRAL, HEAR AND FEEL. I assume these are the same as the ones SuziRider speaks of, only named something else. If not, and I am not doing something I should be to achieve surround sound, someone please advise.
I have the same options on my T1806. You can adjust the Scion Sound Processing ("SSP") settings for NEUTRAL, HEAR, and FEEL to different Scion vehicle types (xA, xB, tC), as follows:

Press and hold the SSP button until you hear a beep, and the current SSP equalizer setting is displayed. Turn the VOLUME knob to change the vehicle type equalizer mode. Cycle through your options as follows: Car type tC = Car type xB = Car type xA.

I don't recall which I selected, but I know it made a tremendous difference.

You can also set the bass and treble by pressing the "Audio Control" button. Cycle through your options in the following order: BAS (Bass) = TRE (Treble) = FAD (Fader) = BAL (Balance) = VOL (volume)

·
Registered
770 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Thanks Rich.
I will try these adjustments when I get home tonight.
Hope all is well with you.
Greg

·
Registered
770 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Rich:

That was the secret. I set it for a different model and the sound quality increased dramatically.
Now I am going to struggle with installing the kicker door speakers.

thanks again

1 - 16 of 16 Posts