MR2 SpyderChat banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
So went to summitracing today, to see what options i have. From reading here, Corbeau A4 seem like standard pick or S2000 seats. Let me start-off by saying that Corbeau A4 I barely fit in them---I am 6.4, 230 pounds====S2000 seats are out of question.

My main issue is being able to push the seat all the way back (not fully opposed to some interior fab--remove side plastic, but rather not)

I actually really liked Scat Sportsman, but dont know of their quality, and they dont have bracket for spyder--guess i could probably fab something out of Corbeau brackets???

So, i need to replace my factory seats, as they are torn-up. maybe asking too much, but I want

1) Seat that can be pushed all the way back.
2) lower or at very least just as low as OEM
3) I can fit in it.

Oh and how good are those inflatable lumbar supports???
please help. Thanks

·
Registered
78 Posts
If you're fine with your OEM seats, I found some seat covers through CarID that I've really liked, and only paid ~$150. These are the neoprene ones. You can also customize the cover to whether the seat has the hole around the neck area like the 2003+ seats or the first gen that are solid all the way through.

Here's how mine look. I will eventually go Recaro RS-G, but until then I've liked these.

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
hmmmmmmm, now snug are this seatcovers??? if they fit like factory, might be just the way to go-- also thinking about possibly shaving off, some padding in center, that would make seat perfect (lower part anyways)

·
Registered
78 Posts
Pretty snug I'd say, also noted by anyone that has sat in the car. Some people thought I somehow redid the stock seats haha. I had a previous seat cover that'd move around on me all the time and then ended up tearing at the very top of the seat. These are nice because it's a two-piece so you have something that wraps around both the back and bottom parts of the seat. It's not something that looks nice from the front like some covers, but the back is some black synthetic material.

They have a pretty good selection of materials if you want to try something else. It takes about 2 weeks to make and then a couple days to ship.

·
Registered
277 Posts
Celica seats mount onto the stock rails, have better lumbar support, and maintain the same driving position as the stock seats. They are also much more comfortable for long road trips than my stock leather ‘01 seats were

Reactions: 2mAn and spencer

·
Registered
Yellow 2002 Spyder
64 Posts
From reading here, Corbeau A4 seem like standard pick or S2000 seats.
Are S2K seats easily swappable on to our rails? I'm still pretty new to the mk3 platform.

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
not sure about s2000 swap, but it seems consensus is that if you above 5.8, s2000 seats are no go. (strange because when I drove s2000 it wasnt that bad--- probs has something to do with seat not moving all the way back.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Celica seats mount onto the stock rails, have better lumbar support, and maintain the same driving position as the stock seats. They are also much more comfortable for long road trips than my stock leather ‘01 seats were
So I'm a total noob... What year Celica fits?

·
Registered
Yellow 2002 Spyder
64 Posts
not sure about s2000 swap, but it seems consensus is that if you above 5.8, s2000 seats are no go. (strange because when I drove s2000 it wasnt that bad--- probs has something to do with seat not moving all the way back.
Damn, that's a shame. I'll have to stick to Celica seats then...

·
Registered
578 Posts
I just swapped from the solid back leather MR2 seats to 7th gen Celica cloth seats a couple months ago. Better lumbar support, better grip on the person, and I seem to be sitting just a tad lower in the car than I was before. I can see the oil pressure light more easily anyway. And for being in the south.... Cloth has proven to be vastly superior when it comes to dealing with the heat.

Here's the DIY I wrote up, if you are curious how it's done.

·
Registered
3,947 Posts
I’m pretty thin but the stock spyder seat bottoms hurt. The side bolsters are too narrow and hit me in the sides of my thighs. I peeled back the leather and reshaped the foam bolsters with a 20k rpm sanding disc. Then Stretched the leather back into place. It removes the recessed bucket (that’s only wide enough for a 10 year old butt) and makes the seat bottom flatter.

·
Registered
652 Posts
I've taken quite a few long road trips in the spyder, two of which were over 5,000 miles in just a few days.

It's nice to know that at age 48 I've got an ass the size of a teenager. That ought to make my wife jealous 😂

·
Registered
94 Posts
My experience, 5'10/200lb

Started with PFL Stock Spyder red fabric (CON's:poor condition, not comfortable for me) went to S2000 AP1 black leather seats (PRO's: look really classy, almost perfect condition, supportive, CON's: small tear and worn bolster on drivers seat, a tad too high) ) , just bought a set of Celica Gen7 black fabric seats (PROS's: comfortable for freeway driving, perfect condition, fabric good for SoCal sun, CON's: little too spongy for me/too much movement allowed, still feel I want to be 1-2" lower) after 1 long drive decided to go back to S2000 and mod the seat base top get down a little lower plus repair the seat/bolster. That's my seat story!!! I feel a good fixed bucket style (I'm the only driver of the car) with a custom bracket will be the best compromise but the good ones are $$$$.....Fun to play with cars

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
well yeah money is issue, even if one has it, question comes, is it worth wasting it on a car which cost me 2900$???? I say YES

1 - 16 of 16 Posts