MR2 SpyderChat banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
'03 Paradise Blue 6SMT
174 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My MR2's convertible top has a slight tear on the upper left corner where the rear window is. It's not leaking and when looking at the tear, it looks like a simple fix. But as I investigated several stores, it seems any repair kit is a pretty comprehensive job to seal it ... compound here, paint color mixing here, etc. I realize that I can't simply superglue it since it'll lose its ability to flexible and thus cause an even larger tear; but I'm not yet ready to replace the entire top (of course if it leaks, I got not choice). Has anyone ever tried to repair their own convertible top (excluding duct tape or something that would make it too obvious)?

·
Registered
8,707 Posts
I just repaired my son's top, giving it a few years life I think.

Someone already did an excellent write-up here somewhere. SEARCH for it and you will be rewarded.

Cliff's notes of what I did:

1. Sew the rip together but not too tight ...just give it a smaller hole or tear.
2. Patch from the inside with a frabic patch that irons on. Don't over heat, you'll melt the top.
The patch kit I bout came with a liitle round mini iron.
3. Add the color matched goop, let dry completely
4. From the outside, iron textured paper on top of dried goop that is closest to the texture of the top.
5. Leave the top up for a day to cure.

So far so good. Leak proof top, looks acceptable.

·
Registered
'03 Paradise Blue 6SMT
174 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Ah Crap. I see a tear forming on the upper right corner. I'll post pics.

·
Registered
'03 Paradise Blue 6SMT
174 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
It appears to be at the Windows edge. It sounds doable to fix but only from the outside with no direct reinforcement from the inside; but it seems in reading other posts, if the tear is there, better change the entire top. Thoughts?

Driver's Side Tear - Broad View:

Driver's Side Tear - Zoom View:

Passenger's Side Tear - Broad View: (this one started to show just about 2 days ago)

Passenger's Side Tear - Zoom View: (this one started to show just about 2 days ago)

·
Registered
896 Posts
I had this exact problem too. I sewed the pieces together using a curved needle and thin metal thread. Then I put black silicon over the tear and dabbed it with a towel to texture the silicon. It has held up good for 6 months. The thread keeps the tear together and the silicon water proofs it. I also wiped silicon over the rip on the inside. Hard to see the repair unless you are right next to the car. I will take pictures if you are interested.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I formally sold art supplies, namely acrylic artist paints.(Liquitex brand)
My car had similar problems as shown in pics.
I filled the voids and blended to a fine edge.
Used masking tape underside as a temporary stopper until the paint setup.
For the widow corners I simply used the paint as a glue to close up the seams/gaps.
As a product it is very flexible, great adherence and won't fade.
Years back I completely coated a convertible top and saved it.

Were you to coat canvas or cotton cloth with Liquitex you would be making Naugahyde or leatherette

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.