MR2 SpyderChat banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
506 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
With a coilover install coming up, I'm wondering what the best way to set (initial) ride-height is? Road clearance considerations aside, I understand that a rule of thumb is to first set the front height to taste, but not so low as to make the control arm go further than parallel to the ground. Then set the rear height to match, or even set it a little higher for a bit of rake (perhaps 1/4"-1/2" higher?).

- Using this method, what are the typical reference points on the chassis/suspension for taking height measurements to the ground?

- Are there any ballpark numbers for the max. reduction in height from stock? i.e. the drop in height which would take the control arms to parallel. Just curious.

·
Registered
2,575 Posts
With a coilover install coming up, I'm wondering what the best way to set (initial) ride-height is? Road clearance considerations aside, I understand that a rule of thumb is to first set the front height to taste, but not so low as to make the control arm go further than parallel to the ground. Then set the rear height to match, or even set it a little higher for a bit of rake (perhaps 1/4"-1/2" higher?).

- Using this method, what are the typical reference points on the chassis/suspension for taking height measurements to the ground?

- Are there any ballpark numbers for the max. reduction in height from stock? i.e. the drop in height which would take the control arms to parallel. Just curious.

The Manual says to measure from the ground to the control arm bolts. Once you're lowered, that's difficult. I (for my own records) measure to the same place on the pinch welds. One common form is to measure from the center of the center cap on your wheels to the top of the fender arch. That eliminates any variation due to tire size when comparing with other people.

FWIW, set the Powertrix's up higher than you think initally. They get real low, real fast.

Last thing- our car is actually lower in the back than the front from the factory. Some rake might be fine, but keep in mind that the higher you set the rear, the more oversteer it creates.

·
Registered
1,580 Posts
I measure from the ground to the control arm bolt, that way you know how much lower than stock you are. I find it very easy, just use a ziptie, cut it to the length you want to be lowered by and keep lowering until the center of the bolt matches the top of the zip tie. Thats the quick and easy way. I glued/taped a ruler to two straight metal sticks so it can sit it on the ground and its perfectly vertical.

Don't worry about the control arm being parallel btw.

·
Registered
9,956 Posts
Wow I never knew there were stock height specs in the BGB. Thanks for this. I will use it to set those powertrix coilovers when they come in.

I love how it says to adjust height by pushing or pulling on the car. :lol:

·
Registered
506 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks for the info!
Don't worry about the control arm being parallel btw.
I've wondered why people suggest keeping the control arm parallel to the ground? I thought it was the angle between the control arm and the strut which is important to keep below 90 degrees to retain negative camber gain under compression?

·
Registered
506 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Hmmm, I'm doubting the bottom of the pinch welds is an accurate place to measure from now. If I place a level along the base of the pinch weld, it's actually slightly higher at the front, and if I now take my measurements from the base of the pinch weld instead of the bottom, I measure the front as being 3/16" higher than the rear.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.