1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
352 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

·
Registered
6,968 Posts
I use the speed-source bushings. They are great, you should get them, why are you waiting?

I'd say more about their affect on shifting, but I don't wan to deprive Southern Editor the opportunity to come in here and use phrases like 'shifting nirvana' and 'shnick, schnick."

·
Registered
352 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I was reading up that the the speed source bushings oxidize over time, have you had that experience? How long have you had them installed?

·
Registered
185 Posts
Corrosion??

I was reading up that the the speed source bushings oxidize over time, have you had that experience? How long have you had them installed?
Huh???Not at all I've had in mine for about two years now and no corrosion issues. Just a shot of liquid grease every so so often (note to self) and ur good. One thing though, be prepared for the big difference in driving experience. I really can't describe it. Suffice it to say that it is so precise....so much of a difference that you are gonna have adopt a new shifting style.
While you're at it make sure to change your gear oil to MT90.
Enjoy

·
Super Moderator
3,155 Posts
I have used the speed source bushings for 6 years on my celica and will be moving them over to my MRS once it is deliered. It gives you a more direct feel, you can feel the gears engage and I like that especially when out on the track.

·
Registered
16,748 Posts
Only complaints I know of on the spherical bushings is that they were not necessarily easy to install. But then, how many mods go exactly as planned?

(Answer: Just about none of them.)

But they are totally sweet and worth doing.

·
Registered
495 Posts
I also had these on my celica and they were one of the first mods i did to my spyder, can't go wrong with the speed source shifter bushings, and the bushings just got dirty in my case, no corrosion.

·
Registered
7,192 Posts
Only complaints I know of on the spherical bushings is that they were not necessarily easy to install. But then, how many mods go exactly as planned?

(Answer: Just about none of them.)

But they are totally sweet and worth doing.
+1

I don't know anything about the original seller, but Mike was great. Spherical bushings slid on just fine with a little persuasion/sanding, thus the inclusion of sandpaper with the kit.

·
Registered
7,777 Posts
Who still sells the spherical bushings?
Chico Race Works. Fitment requires some work on a Spyder.

I have an alternative setup I've been meaning to test, just never got around to it. Instead of spherical bearings it uses a fully-articulated bearing. Should work great, may or may not fit great ;), and the only reason I haven't tried them yet is they are an open bearing design and will require periodic cleaning. I'm not sure anyone wants their shift bushings to be a maintenance item.....

·
Registered
352 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Did some reading up on the gear oil and iv seen some great reviews on the redline mt90. Are there any other oil brands you guys recommend? Having trouble sourcing redline here in SA.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts