MR2 SpyderChat banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
775 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I have the short antenna (3 inches?) and the radio signal lately has been poor. Does anyone know a better alternative other than the stock 10ft antenna? I saw the new Scion TC antennas, and was wondering if that would fit on the MR2.

Update 4/12/12

Ended up getting this 8 inch antenna in ebay. Signal Quality is 100 times better. Got it for $11 shipped. I think the look will grow on me.

EBay antenna

·
Registered
2,543 Posts
I have to be honest- all I listen to is Pandora and my iPod in the Spyder. To me, FM doesn't exist anymore. Sorry this doesn't answer your question (at least directly).

·
Registered
1,445 Posts
If it's just the stock (non rectracable) antenna, you can get one at Radio Shack to replace it for about 6 bucks, it works well, looks okay, and gets good reception.

Size does matter, and 3 inches will never satisfy anyone. :lol:

·
Registered
1,177 Posts
Size does matter, and 3 inches will never satisfy anyone. :lol:
well said :lol:, i bought a s200 antenna hoping it would fit, the width was about right but the screw came up way to short of getting in the hole :cool: waste of money, still looking for replacement to stock 10footer

·
Registered
16,748 Posts
The S2000 antenna is the solution. Originally known as the "Spyderflex," this mod was popular and available in the early years.

You have to source the part - which apparently you have - and extract the stock threads and replace with the MR2 threading. Works perfectly and looks great.

·
Registered
1,445 Posts
This is the Radio Shack one. You can see it pretty well in this photo. 5 minutes at most to put it on, works well. That's Rburton in the mirror.

·
Registered
782 Posts
When you're talking about the 3 inch antenna is it the LT one from Takuban motorsports. I installed that kit this winter (car is still hibernating) and although I knew reception would drop I was hoping it would'nt be too bad!

·
Registered
471 Posts
I got one from o'reillys that had different thread sets. Works pretty good. I forget how long it is though. I'll see if I can get some pics

---
I am here: http://tapatalk.com/map.php?2t0tzd

·
Registered
1,177 Posts
The S2000 antenna is the solution. Originally known as the "Spyderflex," this mod was popular and available in the early years.

You have to source the part - which apparently you have - and extract the stock threads and replace with the MR2 threading. Works perfectly and looks great.
The spyderflex is what gave me the idea in the first place. I was trying to replicate one, but couldn't figure out how to extract the stock threads, thought it impossible. any more info on how to do this?

·
Registered
1,177 Posts

extracting the stock threads have proven to be pretty difficult without damaging the rest of the antenna, anyone have an idea of how to work this mod without destroying the s2000 antenna? the square piece with the thread will not budge

·
Registered
775 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
When you're talking about the 3 inch antenna is it the LT one from Takuban motorsports. I installed that kit this winter (car is still hibernating) and although I knew reception would drop I was hoping it would'nt be too bad!
Yup it is the LT antenna. I also had the Spyderflex antenna one too which had better reception, but didnt like the look of it because it looked somewhat bent. I guess do its flexibility. The LT looks way better but signal quality isnt great. I guess its form versus function. I saw the new scion TC antenna and its pretty nice looking and im sure the signal is good too considering its oem.

·
Registered
217 Posts
At the local auto parts store I picked up a 13" Black mini version of the stock metal antenna, by a company called Raptor. It was like $7 and had adapters, fit mint and the height of the antenna is about even with the roofline. So far reception is great.

·
Registered
844 Posts
This is the Radio Shack one. You can see it pretty well in this photo. 5 minutes at most to put it on, works well. That's Rburton in the mirror.

Have the same type on my '01, works as good as the stock electric on my '03.

·
Registered
754 Posts
I might go with a slightly larger antenna. I like the stubby antenna that I have now but the radio reception is horrible. The HD channels drop out long before the standard stations do. Unfortunately the HD station here is much better then the standard station.

·
Registered
775 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
1 - 20 of 25 Posts