MR2 SpyderChat banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
506 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just fitted a "Che" short shifter and have noticed that there is a little "grinding" in the fore-aft direction - for example between 3rd and 4th, around the center-point of the travel (e.g. if you "wiggle" the shifter slightly up or down from neutral, you can feel it "sticking" slightly). I don't have this with the stock shifter and was wondering if anyone else noticed it? It doesn't seem to be an issue with the shifter moving around in the cage, as it runs very smoothly when disconnected from the cable.

·
Registered
526 Posts
CHE shifter comes with aluminum base bushings. IIRC they are like 3/4' thick. Could be to offset the short shifter & keep cable angle somewhat slose to stock. Just a guess..... I don't have described problem with mine. I would check the plastic cups that attach to the two ends of the shifter & make sure they move/ swivel freely.. Good luck

·
Registered
506 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the replies. I am using the supplied cage bushings (the fat aluminum ones) and the plastic cups which I transferred from the stock shifter turn just great, so I am inclined to go with OldMan's suggestion of the "up-down" cable binding. I'll get the console off and take a look.

·
Registered
506 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I took a look and it seems that the black outer lining of the "up-down" shifter cable is rubbing on the white plastic cage slightly. I guess that the shifted fulcrum in the short-shifter makes the cable bend down more and causes this slight rubbing? If so, I can't see an easy fix?

This picture shows the central cable I am referring to:

·
Registered
506 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
So the short-shifter was definitely causing the shifter cable to rub badly on the shifter cage, causing an awful "grinding" when moving in the fore-aft direction. Spoke to Che and they kindly offered a refund (I tried to remove some cage material where it rubbed, but this piece is too thin and I didn't want to break it). Bought a set of $10 metal cage bushes and am now back to the stock shifter, which feels fantastic.

For me, regardless of the grinding issue, this B&M-style short-shifter is way too short a throw and too stiff for a daily-driver. I guess a lot of the benefit people perceive from the short-shifter comes from the metal cage bushes. I also feel that the height of the short-shifter is way too low. Just my 2 cents.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts