MR2 SpyderChat banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
355 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm about to gut the pre-cat and I'll be using OldMan's write up as reference, and he mentioned anti seize all the threaded fasteners then torque to spec. Anyone has experience on anti seize? Will it get loose over time and backing out?

·
Registered
1,029 Posts
I'm about to gut the pre-cat and I'll be using OldMan's write up as reference, and he mentioned anti seize all the threaded fasteners then torque to spec. Anyone has experience on anti seize? Will it get loose over time and backing out?
not if torqued right. The antiseize can keep you from having a major pain in the neck if you ever have to take it off again.

·
Registered
5,831 Posts
Never Sieze is ALWAYS a good thing.. EXCEPT when you have to add Locktight! :)

You can always tell what I have Worked on.. It has Never Sieze on it.. ( It's real hard to get off the Wiper Blades.. !! )

Not Kidding.. Never Sieze EVERYTHING.. If it has Threads.. it needs a Lubricant ..

Cap

·
Registered
1,966 Posts
On exhaust systems put hi temp rtv over the tightened nut and any exposed threads. If you need to take the nut off, just peel off the rtv and the threads will not be rusted.

·
Registered
5,831 Posts
Room Temperature Vulcanize ..

·
Registered
16,748 Posts
Yes. Put anti-seize on all fasteners. If you ever have to go back in, it will make your life much easier.

·
Registered
566 Posts
Use the copper based version of anti seize on any fasteners that will see high temeratures, Regular product will fry....

·
Registered
2,542 Posts
Also for use on spark plug threads to avoid galling of the aluminum head and avoiding crossthreading (and yes, copper base is preferred).

·
Registered
7,777 Posts
Also for use on spark plug threads to avoid galling of the aluminum head and avoiding crossthreading (and yes, copper base is preferred).
Actually, for the past 10 years or so many spark plug manufacturers have recommended against using anti-seize (see for example http://www.ngksparkplugs.com/pdf/tb-0630111antisieze.pdf ) . They have long since solved the bimetal corrosion issue with platings on the plug threads.
But it's a religious debate in some circles. If you use it, use it sparingly and make sure you don't get any on the tip. And torque the plugs in very carefully, probably to a couple of inch-pounds less than spec.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts