MR2 SpyderChat banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
2003 MR2 SMT
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)

Hey there,
So I have the chance to buy the attached 2003 Spyder. It’s in amazing condition! The only problem with it is the antenna is jacked up. The Pre-cats are good. Only 2 prior owners of it in Boise Idaho. Super low mileage <40,000. Brand new aftermarket seats. Clean CARFAX. Runs really well. Dealer will not budge below 15,000…..

Thoughts….?
4B14F9FD-A5BA-4356-A36F-748FB7A542AF.jpeg
9F9C8179-2DDB-415D-9EA8-CF1151F42C9E.jpeg

·
Registered
1,082 Posts
I am still getting used to the new high prices. A year and a half ago you could have bought a 30k 05 with limited slip for that price. Maybe the prices are just temporary. Your location makes the cars harder to find but remember it is not that expensive to ship the right car. I like the SMT because of the cruise control and 6 speed. The low mileage you will probably be ok. Remember 15k with tax and license is $16k and at that price you have no equity in that car even with the new high prices.

·
Registered
1,586 Posts
I paid $15,500 in 2015 for my '05 with 47k miles. 5 speed LSD though. I wouldn't have bought a SMT car.

I've put 100,000 trouble-free miles on it and put another $8000 in upgrades. I'm happy with what I got for the amount I've paid.

The car looks pretty good, but that SMT would have me worried.

·
Registered
8,477 Posts
Cars are getting old. The SMT seals may start to break down and leak due to age at this point regardless of mileage.

I just bought a low mileage 2003 SMT with 70K miles with broken SMT that was leaking fluid.

I bought one last year with broken SMT with 90 K miles.

·
Registered
1,645 Posts
I’m in the minority but I love the SMT. Never had a problem with the three cars I’ve owned but I wouldn’t buy one if you’re not mechanically inclined. They’re actually not that hard to work on once you learn how they work. I bought an 03 about a dozen years ago with 44,000 miles for $10k. The clutch got replaced at 110,000 miles.
Also, if you do a lot of stop and go driving, the SMT is great!

·
Registered
2003 MR2 Spyder
335 Posts
As with any purchase you need to go into it with the knowledge to fix any potential maintenance issues. The smt is fine as long as you understand that you'll need to know how to fix it since there's not a lot of mechanics that know how to work on them. So if you're comfortable with that or have someone who can work on it then I wouldn't rule it out There's a broken silver 03 SMT with right at 100k miles on it for sale on Facebook right now for $4500. Besides the SMT issues, the condition of it otherwise is very good. As of a few days ago it was still available but I passed on it since the current owner has already tried to troubleshoot the problems and hasn't been able to fix it. My thought was if they've attempted to fix it and can't then I probably should steer clear of it. I wasn't willing to take that chance at that price point in the event the HPU/GSA needed to be completely replaced or was more cost effective to swap to a manual. My opinion for what it's worth.

·
Registered
1,129 Posts
As with any purchase you need to go into it with the knowledge to fix any potential maintenance issues. The smt is fine as long as you understand that you'll need to know how to fix it since there's not a lot of mechanics that know how to work on them. So if you're comfortable with that or have someone who can work on it then I wouldn't rule it out There's a broken silver 03 SMT with right at 100k miles on it for sale on Facebook right now for $4500. Besides the SMT issues, the condition of it otherwise is very good. As of a few days ago it was still available but I passed on it since the current owner has already tried to troubleshoot the problems and hasn't been able to fix it. My thought was if they've attempted to fix it and can't then I probably should steer clear of it. I wasn't willing to take that chance at that price point in the event the HPU/GSA needed to be completely replaced or was more cost effective to swap to a manual. My opinion for what it's worth.
With the market as is, that car sounds like somewhat a steal if it's in good condition other than the SMT. Ship it to MWR, let them swap it and be @ ~10k or do the swap yourself for <8k then you have a 2003 MT spyder for a solid pre-pandemic price either way.

·
Registered
3,710 Posts
With the market as is, that car sounds like somewhat a steal if it's in good condition other than the SMT. Ship it to MWR, let them swap it and be @ ~10k or do the swap yourself for <8k then you have a 2003 MT spyder for a solid pre-pandemic price either way.
That's some fuzzy math right there ......

·
Registered
1,129 Posts
Not really fuzzy...MT swap parts are ~3k retail price (less if you source used but no point in estimating that). I don't know what MWR would charge in labor so that part is overestimated for sure.

·
Registered
8,477 Posts
Labor is between $2000 and $3000 for manual swap. Then you have $1500 in shipping back and fort maybe more because its not run and drive. Tax license and registration. Thats for a car thats been sitting for who know how long.

So you want to pay $12000 for it total?

I see a lot of nice manual 2003s cars out there for $12k even with the high prices.

Pay less than $3000 for a broken SMT unless you know how to fix it or can do the manual conversion yourself.

·
Registered
2003 MR2 Spyder
335 Posts
Great, I talked myself out of it and now you've got me thinking about it again :unsure: The market for the Spyder has gotten crazy with crazy prices as of late. I'm not sure if they'll hold at that or come crashing down like the housing market has done in the past. Since I can only drive one car at a time I'm not as inclined to take a chance plus I'd need a bigger garage (y)

·
Registered
2003 MR2 Spyder
335 Posts
Labor is between $2000 and $3000 for manual swap. Then you have $1500 in shipping back and fort maybe more because its not run and drive. Tax license and registration. Thats for have a car thats been sitting for who know how long.

I see a lot of nice manual 2003s cars out there for $12k even with the high prices.

Pay less than $3000 for a broken SMT unless you know how to fix it or can do the manual conversion yourself.
That's kinda where I was at in trying to determine value to me. I was thinking in the $3k ballpark for a stationary SMT in otherwise good condition with clear and clean title (no body damage or salvage/rebuilt history). Seller is firm on price so I had to pass. For me, if I'm going to pay $12k plus after repairs I'd just buy one already roadworthy and not have the hassle of fixing anything other than routine maintenance items. Others might place more value in a stationary car but for me I'm considering every thing that I might run into.

·
Registered
1,129 Posts
Labor is between $2000 and $3000 for manual swap. Then you have $1500 in shipping back and fort maybe more because its not run and drive. Tax license and registration. Thats for a car thats been sitting for who know how long.

Tax & registration is a cost for any new car...not worth adding into a price estimate for this car vs another. Shipping is 4500 (car) + 3000 (parts) + 2000 (estimated labor) + 1000 (shipping) = 10.5k

That beats any market price on a 2003 100k mile Spyder by far. Add in cost of a plane ticket, hell include gas & tolls driving home and you're still under 11k.

If you want to get very technical, going back to that registration cost you will save money because registration is based on the sale price of the vehicle, which in this case would save several hundred, if not a thousand dollars. Take that savings & put it toward the cost of getting it running (state dependent I suppose but true for NYS) and you truly are under $10k, a price beats any other Spyder available right now by miles.

·
Registered
3,710 Posts
Cost for Monkeywrench Racing to perform this conversion on your car at our facility, including all labor, fluids and sales tax is approximately $5295. This includes trade in of your old SMT hardware (removed during the job) regardless of condition. This cost is accurate for good running SMT cars and those with SMT system malfunctions. If your transmission’s internals or your clutch are damaged there will be additional cost involved in repairing/replacing those components. Price is the same for 5- and 6-speed SMT cars.

Options:

·
Registered
8,477 Posts
I have seen three 2003 spyders with hardtop sell for $12k in the last 30 days so what do I know. Avoid the dealers search private party and the deals are there.

You can buy a much nicer car like this with hardtop pay a little more and avoid the headache.

Car has $5000 in hardtop and TRD parts. Low miles and a rare color. It also isnt an SMT oe conversion.

Reactions: FormInFunction

·
Registered
1,129 Posts
Cost for Monkeywrench Racing to perform this conversion on your car at our facility, including all labor, fluids and sales tax is approximately $5295. This includes trade in of your old SMT hardware (removed during the job) regardless of condition. This cost is accurate for good running SMT cars and those with SMT system malfunctions. If your transmission’s internals or your clutch are damaged there will be additional cost involved in repairing/replacing those components. Price is the same for 5- and 6-speed SMT cars.

Options:
$5300 total would put it right on pace as estimated. Obviously this car is a good deal if someone 8s doing their own labor, a decent deal if paying for it to be swapped. As for cars with aftermarket parts, there are definitely deals to be had there provided patience & luck meet up just right. I'm not so sold on "desirable" colors as I would only buy a car which I like but it can't be denied certain colors (for all cars) hold a higher resale value.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts