MR2 SpyderChat banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I removed my intake elbow the other day. I saw a few posts about this and I was curious. Thought I would share my findings in case anyone else was thinking about this. The first thing I noticed driving it around was the glorious, intoxicating sound between 3000rpm to redline. Wow! Sounds like an Alfa Romeo or something quite a bit more exotic. Second thing I noticed was a devastating loss of torque while climbing hills and especially with the A/C running. Enough that I had to use a lower gear and higher rpms than normal for every hill located on my commute(there are tons of them). Bummer. Other threads on this had talked about a possible loss of torque from removing the elbow but nobody stressed it enough to make me think it would be this bad. Maybe the actual dyno would show different but the butt dyno was so distressed about it that even though I'd do just about anything to have that wonderful sound it still wasn't worth it. Elbow re-installed yesterday afternoon and bye bye wonderful sound... :( But hello again hill-climbing power. :cool:

So now I'm left wondering, is there any less compromising way to get that sound without losing the torque? I'm guessing an intake would sacrifice just as much low end for the higher end horses? Maybe I'm just especially sensitive because I live in a mountainous region.

·
Registered
971 Posts
what do you describe as an intake elbow?

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Here is more information. It is as simple as replacing the tubing with something from home depot or autozone.

http://spyderchat.com/forums/showthread.php?40348-3-Inch-Air-Intake-Inlet-Elbow&p=705431
From everything discussed in the previous threads about this, the concluding reason for the extra torque is the decreasing diameter of the pipe. In other words, if you replace the elbow with something less restrictive like the wide tubing shown in this link you will still lose the extra torque on the low end. I imagine it would be the same result replacing with an intake of equal or larger diameter piping.

·
Registered
1,365 Posts
I did this mod about a month after getting my car. I did not notice any difference in power on the hills. Been running it this way ever since. I did the Autozone cheapy tubing and some decent clamps. I could hear the intake a little more before I added the TM duals and then the exhuast was louder and could not longer hear it.

I think the butt dyno varies too much. My butt dyno says it pulls the Arkansas mountian with no issues.....for a stock 1ZZ.

·
Registered
236 Posts
I put a markiii pipe on mine and didn't notice a difference power wise either way on the butt dyno. Sound wise i can tell a difference though.

·
Registered
97 Posts
This was the first challenge I tackled when I bought my misses. Yes, without the pipe the sound is intoxicating, but torque is sacrificed. Shoot, there must be a solution...Mine was to fit a velocity stack off a ford 500 air box onto the cut out. I have the sexy sexy growl, and loads of torque. Also, my throttle response seems to be a tad better, if anyone wants I will get a picture up.

·
Registered
506 Posts
Wait a minute - are you suggesting that Toyota designed the intake elbow with a constriction for a functional reason and not purely to boost sales of intake ducting at Home Depot? Wonders never cease!

·
Registered
1,365 Posts
Typically chambers and restrictions like this are to reduce the noise of the intake. Most people do not like to hear a loud intake on a factory car. I would have to see a comparison dyno run to prove to me that the restriction in this elbow improves the torque. Off idle response, maybe. The velocity will be higher due to the restriction. At 2000 rpm up....I would have to see proof.

·
Registered
75 Posts
So I was curious and I ended up doing this mod with the $19.99 Autozone bendy straw (http://www.autozone.com/autozone/catalog/accessories/accProductDetails.jsp?itemIdentifier=422454_0_0_&skuDescription=Spectre+/+Blackairducting&brandName=Spectre&displayName=Blackairducting&skuDisplayName=Spectre&categoryNValue=10099999&navValue=100409&categoryDisplayName=Blackairducting&parentId=00-10&itemId=409-10&productId=422454).

Maybe my butt dyno is not calibrated but I feel that the torque throughout is much smoother. The sound is great and I think it is an improvement overall.

Old

New

Compared

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Did you drive it without the ducting in place first and notice any difference?

Warning: If you did not and decide to do it, you will hesitate to put it back on. The sound is awesome.

·
Registered
131 Posts
lzaffuto, if you do not replace the stock elbow with some 3-inch tubing, you change the excellent stock cold air intake into a hot air intake. This may be why you lost a bit of power and torque while others that replace the elbow gained a bit of power and torque. According to the many, many posts that I researched before doing this mod to my Spyder, the stock elbow is for sound reduction only - it is not a built-in velocity stack. Everyone that does this mod seems to like what it does for their car if they replace the stock elbow with some 3-inch tubing.

·
Registered
22,972 Posts
I agree with the OP. I too have noticed a shift in torque when I went with an AEM intake.
The AEM had a little more upper end power but the stock intake had more grunt at certain RPMs.

I believe the reason for this is that the fuel maps are more precise and stays in a sweet range when it does not have to guesstimate too much.

I have driven behind a near stock Spyder at a meet doing some fast acceleration in a hilly area and that thing had a generous amount of pull from a stop and up hills. I then drove with the same person a few months later and now he has an aftermarket intake and it just didn't have the same kind of punch.

I am not saying that a larger opening wouldn't help, what I am saying is that there is more complexity to an intake then most of you Home Depot scientists understand.

·
Registered
371 Posts
So I was curious and I ended up doing this mod with the $19.99 Autozone bendy straw (http://www.autozone.com/autozone/cat...oductId=422454).
Just tried the same mod using this part and my impressions are the same. First I tried it with out the elbow, and though it seemed to have a bit more throttle response, IMO it was a bit noisy. With the ducting in place, overall, the throttle response feels quicker and smoother throughout the RPM range. Worth the small investment.

·
Registered
131 Posts
The AEM-Injen and other after-market intakes have been proven worthless time after time on Spyderchat. The reason for that is because the Spyder has a great cold air intake stock from the factory. The after-market so-called cold air intakes only change the stock cold air intake into a hot air intake. The only bottleneck in the stock intake is the elbow that only reduces intake sound. That is why the only air intake modification that TRD offers is the elbow replacement, and the mr2roc people have their version of this. As far as someone being "a home depot scientist," hey - either it works or it doesn't.TRD and the person who developed the MARKiii elbow replacement on mr2roc are not "home depot scientists" either.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts