MR2 SpyderChat banner
21 - 40 of 45 Posts

·
Premium Member
709 Posts
Definitely different.

Funny, I was window shopping GT-Ses (ZZT230 - no real reason, honest) yesterday, and reminiscing on one we test drove before finding our first Spyder (had a stage 2 kit, but was in godawful shape ). Ultimately, it was a mess, and I didn't want a FWD anyway..

Eclectic look! I'm getting a twinge of uncanny, but mostly.. I kinda like it.

Reactions: REVN MR2

·
Registered
193 Posts
I was trying to figure out if that celica front was photoshopped, nice work!

I bought a set of flares but decided not to use them.

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter · #24 · (Edited)
Yep I’m still finishing up the bodywork. Today I’m sanding the celica fenders to match the fender flares. I ordered a c one celica front lip and I’m going to be picking up a celica fiberglass hood soon but since the flares I have are made for a brz it pulled out the fender a bit so I’ll have to better secure the center part of the fender.
Automotive parking light Wheel Car Tire Vehicle

Sanded the fender to match the flares better, just need to better secure the center of the fender. Tomorrow I’m getting some taillights in the mail and I’ll be working on molding them into the stock lights. I’m eventually going to paint the whole car and will likely just paint over the stock headlights.
Automotive parking light Tire Vehicle Car Automotive tire

Tire Wheel Vehicle Car Motor vehicle

·
Registered
2,116 Posts
Yep I’m still finishing up the bodywork. Today I’m sanding the celica fenders to match the fender flares. I ordered a c one celica front lip and I’m going to be picking up a celica fiberglass hood soon but since the flares I have are made for a brz it pulled out the fender a bit so I’ll have to better secure the center part of the fender. View attachment 89287
I don't think I've seen someone do a wide body spyder in the style that you have going (Rocket Bunny-esque). All of the ones I that come to mind have been full bolt on wide body panels or basic fender flare setups. Between that & the body panels/headlights I really like it. I will admit I tend to prefer when the widebody gets molded to the body lines & painted as a unified panel but your work thus far is looking impressive for sure.

It really reminds me of a Rocket Bunny kit for the BRZ...but a lot less cookie cutter obviously.

·
Registered
2,116 Posts
The thing I dislike about most wide body flare setups is that they just fall of the face of the earth behind the wheel. So you can fit wider tires...just to have then sandblast your door/rear bumper. IMHO the great designs flow back to the body of the car. I get a feeling that decades from now ppl will look back & laugh at the oddity of the disappearing widebody flare....as they fly their cars.

·
Registered
193 Posts
I wanted to address that exact issue in an attempt to make my own widebody rear fenders. I may attempt it again if I find the time and patience...

Fleece, tucked in the door and under the tire, pulled tight and bolted where the taillight and hard top mounts with wood next to the tire to help keep the bulge formed.

I really wish I hadn't tossed it out :(

·
Registered
2002, Turbo, 2ZZGE
1,878 Posts
Anybody want to show some pics of various eBay flares? I'm thinking of doing a pair on the back of the car.

·
Registered
5 Posts
I’m surprised nobody else wants to show their fender flares… kinda disappointing as I was trying to use this post to have a collection of different flares people put on the spyder and more information on how they did it and their wheel size.
Oh well, here’s what I’ve been working on, I got a cheap celica hood fenders and bumper to try to fill the gaps I have but I found out the hood almost bolts right on so I cut the celica fenders and bolted them to the mr2 and attached the bumper using a 2inch by 2 inch aluminum L bracket since the factory celica bumper mounts are higher and further out compared to the mr2. Then I cut the fenders and bumper to reinstall the flares I previously had.
I’m going to be buying a cheap fiberglass light weight hood-the stock celica hood is surprisingly heavy even compared to the mr2s. I already ordered a gallardo look fiberglass celica front bumper and I’m planning to have a shop/person paint the whole car.
(the picture without the front flares is before the bumper bracket)
The celica fenders do widen the front quite a bit as you can see but even with them cut and the fender flares on they add a bit more space for the wheels so I’ll likely add a 5mm spacer to fill in the slight gap.
Anyone think I should just throw another engine in the front just to throw people off? I might have the room now tbh😂
View attachment 89234
View attachment 89233

uh…so how hard is it to get the celica fenders and headlights to fit? I need a separate writeup just on this.
Also midship garage and a bunch of others make a rocket bunny style kit for celiacs so couldn’t you just use those instead of modifying bra ones for the front?

·
Registered
2002, Turbo, 2ZZGE
1,878 Posts
I was trying to figure out if that celica front was photoshopped, nice work!

I bought a set of flares but decided not to use them.

What size were those? I'm looking for about half that width. Looking at a few in the 2" to 2.5" range off of eBay. If you do some digging you can get a set for $30!! I think Ill get two sets that have different front and rear sizes so I can try four different flare sizes.

21 - 40 of 45 Posts