MR2 SpyderChat banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anyone performed/thought of running the side vent(s) directly to the intake to make them function as a real "scoop" instead of a cosmetic/cooling method? It was an idea i thought up when i was looking at my buds 96 acura nsx. Fully functioning side intake vent. I just wanted to see if anyone has successfully performed this mod. Thanks!

·
Registered
2,932 Posts
I have somewhat. I am running mrSonly C-one-stlye side scoops--and a custom CAI that goes right to the location where the battery used to be (battery relocated on cross member via Corky tray). Most of this was set up when I got the car. I am going to create a cool air box to help keep the cool incoming air seperated.

·
Registered
731 Posts
Any pictures of that setup, Matt? Thanks.

·
Registered
501 Posts
im using a k&n apollo box that sits in the same location as a ppe cai, ive connected a silicone pipe and velosity stack to the front of the box so it draws the air from the side scoop, its about 20-25 cm from the actual start of the side scoop to prevent water being ingested.
sitting in heavy traffic the hottest the intake temp got was 28 degrees (82 fahrenheit)

·
Registered
17,055 Posts
The vents on the Spyder are functional. They are not cosmetic.

·
Registered
1,580 Posts
The one thing I never like about the side vent intakes is that it makes the intake incredibly short and kills the natural resonance of the intake which is giving up torque. I'd want the intake (TB to filter) to be roughly 2 feet long and thats just not possible with it going into the side vent.

·
Registered
26,913 Posts
Yes, I did it and liked it until I made a better one. Then I made a better one than that and kept it that way. About 12" worth of tubing is best for a 2ZZ and the direct-to-side-vent path isn't that long. I ran it straight back (after a 90 deg bend) to the rear of the car (tube running next to the engine) and used heat shields and an "air grabber" under the slots to direct all the air coming in the slots over to the filter. The length is important. Having the intake air temp equal to outside air temp is pretty nice, too. I monitored IAT and I could start the car and drive all the way to work an IAT never went up. It would only start to creep up for long stop lights, but would go right back down to ambient temp once underway due to all the air coming in the slots. Another plus is having plenty of space around the filter. You don't want it in a box unless the box is large (I did that, too, that was my previous design).

·
Registered
627 Posts
Any pictures of your setup Kevin Beane?

·
Registered
514 Posts
Pics please guys!

·
Registered
544 Posts

·
Registered
627 Posts
Very interesting! Thanks for posting the pictures!

·
Registered
495 Posts
Hey Kevin, with that setup you probably don't drive in the rain much right? Seems like the filter will be exposed to a lot of water even while washing the car

·
Registered
1,705 Posts
I had the bend on a sri cut. It goes.directly in front of the battery. Absolutely no heat gets to it and I can hear the cool intake noise a lot more ( cuz its right by the driver side vent).

1 - 15 of 15 Posts