MR2 SpyderChat banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
145 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I recently installed a MWR short shifter, the ball in the middle moves up and down slightly it doesnt stay in place. Now i have alot of play in gears, and neutral side side motion seems really sloppy. Any help??

·
Registered
2,143 Posts
I recently installed a MWR short shifter, the ball in the middle moves up and down slightly it doesnt stay in place. Now i have alot of play in gears, and neutral side side motion seems really sloppy. Any help??
Don't understand your description of the ball in the middle sloppy but the sloppy side to side motion sounds like you didn't put the metal clip / half spring that centers the shifter into place when in neutral back on.

·
Registered
145 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
The ball or pivot point,
when the lever is moved left to right it moves up and down. it wont stay centered.

·
Registered
495 Posts
Did you replace or reuse the washer that locks the side in place ad mentioned above?

·
Registered
20 Posts
I bought a used shifter complete with cage from eBay wrecking yard for $40(they didn't know and thought it was stock) but have the same issue. I can pull my shifter up towards the sky and back down to the ground maybe 1/4 of slop/play. I just the heck with it and swapped into my newer cage and same thing. So no idea, 1500miles and no problems I feel with it installed.

·
Registered
145 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
So your saying I may need a new cage? The sloppy feeling only happens when the lever is moved to the left, to the right it feels normal.

·
Registered
145 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I can get into all the gears but it bothers me that it moves up and down when the lever is moved to the left.

·
Registered
371 Posts
NAPA auto parts has a selection of them, just match the size. Had to replace mine when installing a Ralco shifter.

·
Registered
145 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
i recently bought a used shifter cage and I'm gonna redue the install. Im gonna get a new locking washer and see what happens.

·
Registered
2,851 Posts
Also running an MWR short shifter and loving it, no slop here, in fact I still can't get over how wonderfully notchy and precise it is - best of luck, its great when its working right

-Spargo

·
Registered
663 Posts
NAPA auto parts has a selection of them, just match the size. Had to replace mine when installing a Ralco shifter.

I also just installed the ralco shifter. i managed to break that locking washer that is towards the back of the shifter and goes on the driver side. can you please send a link of how it looks like or a part number?

I dont think this will fix my problem but, ever since i installed my 6 speed tranny, the response of moving the shifter left and right from neutral is very sloppy and doesnt return to the center on its own by the spring action. when moving the shifter to the left, it will slight go back to center but not dead center. when moving shifter to the right, it doesnt return at all. this throws off my shifting especially when shifting to 4th gear.

does anyone know a mod where it can fix the left and right motion to return to dead center? shifter parts i have are ralco short shifter which comes with metal base bushing and i also have metal bushings at the tranny. is this just a common problem with short shifters? i also feel that the return spring that is located at the rear passenger side is not in direct contact with the base. there is some play in that too. i did put grease when i swapped out the stock shifter with the short shifter. any tips?

·
Super Moderator
3,303 Posts
I'm sorry I can't help you, but it isn't a problem with my trd quick shifter. I wonder what's different?

1 - 20 of 20 Posts