MR2 SpyderChat banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
2003 1zz 5 speed. 112k miles

Just got the car last September and I love it way too much. Had initial issues with shifter feeling sloppy while in gear. The shifts were solid except for downshift from 5th to 4th is sometimes tricky to find. Finding reverse felt like stirring stew in a pot. So I took care of the typical culprits; Out with the rubber shifter cage bushings and in with solid ones, swapped the worn out cable end rubber bushings with solid brass bushes... Did this back in November. It worked well enough for a while. Shifts were solid but crunchy, still have strange side to side slop while in gear. Reverse was tricky but after some banging around could usually get it to engage. This afternoon I went with spherical bearings on the shift linkage. Reverse went from difficult to find with the shifter to non existent. Tried the whole roll forward a little and/or pump the clutch deal. WAMP! Can only find 4th and no reverse. Feels like there is nothing there on the shifter. Pulled out the airbox and banged through all the gears directly on the transmission from the linkage. Had no trouble putting it in reverse in this manner. Gonna double check the linkage and cables tomorrow.

Has anyone had similar issues?
Any other ideas?
Not the best excuse...but maybe time for a six speed with lsd??
Thanks Y'all

·
Registered
1,538 Posts
Make sure that the shifter cage is not cracked.

I would also try lubricating all of the bearing points in the linkage, not just the bushings.

·
Registered
12 Posts
2003 1zz 5 speed. 112k miles

Just got the car last September and I love it way too much. Had initial issues with shifter feeling sloppy while in gear. The shifts were solid except for downshift from 5th to 4th is sometimes tricky to find. Finding reverse felt like stirring stew in a pot. So I took care of the typical culprits; Out with the rubber shifter cage bushings and in with solid ones, swapped the worn out cable end rubber bushings with solid brass bushes... Did this back in November. It worked well enough for a while. Shifts were solid but crunchy, still have strange side to side slop while in gear. Reverse was tricky but after some banging around could usually get it to engage. This afternoon I went with spherical bearings on the shift linkage. Reverse went from difficult to find with the shifter to non existent. Tried the whole roll forward a little and/or pump the clutch deal. WAMP! Can only find 4th and no reverse. Feels like there is nothing there on the shifter. Mike Cross posts his review about manual transmission wont go into gear on AutoGuysLand site. If you concern, just visit this site for more info. Pulled out the airbox and banged through all the gears directly on the transmission from the linkage. Had no trouble putting it in reverse in this manner. Gonna double check the linkage and cables tomorrow.

Has anyone had similar issues?
Any other ideas?
Not the best excuse...but maybe time for a six speed with lsd??
Thanks Y'all
It is possible broken or failing cable. I think you should check the linkage on the transmission and at the shifter.

·
Registered
225 Posts
Did PO have "work" done on tranny There are two small BB's inside, at the base of the shift linkage which must both be present to engage reverse (0n my 2001). Hope that area is ok . Don't know if reverse will sometimes engage if that area is not right.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts