MR2 SpyderChat banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys, just found myself a year 2000 with 69k miles. Negotiated him down to $7k from his proposed 10k. I still feel 7k is a bit high to be paying, it also still has the precats as I understand these can be quite the big issue.

·
Registered
2,970 Posts
The year and mileage isn't much to go by .... but with that info I'd say 7k is too much . I'd look for a 04 or 05 if you're only going to buy one .

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The year and mileage isn't much to go by .... but with that info I'd say 7k is too much . I'd look for a 04 or 05 if you're only going to buy one .
Thank you for the reply and confirmation. The original plan was to buy an 03+, sadly they proved their reputation of being a sight not seen everyday.

·
Registered
67 Posts
Price seems a bit high, I bought my first Spyder in 2011 for $6500 (2000 model with 80k miles at the time). Then again if the paint is in pristine condition it's value is as high as someone is willing to pay

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Price seems a bit high, I bought my first Spyder in 2011 for $6500 (2000 model with 80k miles at the time). Then again if the paint is in pristine condition it's value is as high as someone is willing to pay
Amazing how these cars have held their value so strong over the years. That’s in part another concern, seeing as how questionable the times we’re living in are. Couldnt help but feel the price of use cars is going to plummet.

·
Registered
67 Posts
I think as the years go on ppl are willing to pay more of a premium for a lower mileage stock example of the car. Personally I prefer to buy higher mileage that has had the major milestone services done such as the clutch and suspension as it negates a large expense shortly after purchase and shows the owner was more likely to be on top of the smaller service items such as fluids as well.

That being said, keep looking and be willing to travel for the car you want. At the end of the day if the seller is unwilling to come to a price that works for you I would give him the price you are willing to pay in cash, wish him luck with the sale, and let him know that he can call you if he changes his mind about the sale. At the end of the day if you aren't able to walk away from the car, then the asking price must be fair enough

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I think as the years go on ppl are willing to pay more of a premium for a lower mileage stock example of the car. Personally I prefer to buy higher mileage that has had the major milestone services done such as the clutch and suspension as it negates a large expense shortly after purchase and shows the owner was more likely to be on top of the smaller service items such as fluids as well.

That being said, keep looking and be willing to travel for the car you want. At the end of the day if the seller is unwilling to come to a price that works for you I would give him the price you are willing to pay in cash, wish him luck with the sale, and let him know that he can call you if he changes his mind about the sale. At the end of the day if you aren't able to walk away from the car, then the asking price must be fair enough
Well said and thank you for the replies! I’ll keep all you said in consideration and push for a better deal.

·
Registered
69 Posts
Hey guys, just found myself a year 2000 with 69k miles. Negotiated him down to $7k from his proposed 10k. I still feel 7k is a bit high to be paying, it also still has the precats as I understand these can be quite the big issue.
Hello TylerJac,

Everyone has an opinion. I am from the "rust belt" and miles and condition of chassis are everything.

In my opinion, $7k is a steal, but does come with risk of oil consumption and P0300's that could represent a disaster for the current engine.

I purchase Peep 1.0 from a Toyota dealer and those B-stards sold me a bad 2001 with cats half so bad it was damaged and burning 1qt/200miles! GRRR and I paid $8,000 with 59k on clock.

These cars, in my opinion, have reached bottom pricing and now will start to go UP!

Your money.....keep researching. IF you can, pull the pre-cat O2 sensors and take a look inside the cats!

Mr. P

·
Registered
23 Posts
Depends on the overall condition of the car. If the car is in really good condition and has been well cared for with a maintenance record history then I would say $7K is a pretty good price. I paid $6K for my 2002 car last Sept. It had 71K miles and was in pristine condition with maintenance records. It had always been garaged kept and owned by an older gentleman (70+ yo) so I know it had not been abused or jacked up. The car is completely stock.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Hello TylerJac,

Everyone has an opinion. I am from the "rust belt" and miles and condition of chassis are everything.

In my opinion, $7k is a steal, but does come with risk of oil consumption and P0300's that could represent a disaster for the current engine.

I purchase Peep 1.0 from a Toyota dealer and those B-stards sold me a bad 2001 with cats half so bad it was damaged and burning 1qt/200miles! GRRR and I paid $8,000 with 59k on clock.

These cars, in my opinion, have reached bottom pricing and now will start to go UP!

Your money.....keep researching. IF you can, pull the pre-cat O2 sensors and take a look inside the cats!

Mr. P
Oh my, that’s terrible!

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Depends on the overall condition of the car. If the car is in really good condition and has been well cared for with a maintenance record history then I would say $7K is a pretty good price. I paid $6K for my 2002 car last Sept. It had 71K miles and was in pristine condition with maintenance records. It had always been garaged kept and owned by an older gentleman (70+ yo) so I know it had not been abused or jacked up. The car is completely stock.
That’s awesome man, how has the first year of ownership been treating you?

1 - 17 of 17 Posts