MR2 SpyderChat banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
159 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Recently ive been smelling fuel everytime i drive my car and my economy has dropped by ~5 mpg. I have inspected all of the fuel lines and they are all in good condition except for the EVAP line in the engine bay that has a little bit of play to it. Could this problem be caused from a faulty charcoal canister? Or something else? It doesn't seem like a good thing to be driving on at the moment. Thanks for your guys help.

·
Registered
1,445 Posts
Recently ive been smelling fuel everytime i drive my car and my economy has dropped by ~5 mpg. I have inspected all of the fuel lines and they are all in good condition except for the EVAP line in the engine bay that has a little bit of play to it. Could this problem be caused from a faulty charcoal canister? Or something else? It doesn't seem like a good thing to be driving on at the moment. Thanks for your guys help.
I'm not very knowledgeable on this subject, but did you check out the gas cap? I know a bad cap can cause some strange problems, including a CEL. It's also overlooked at lot of times by people.

·
Registered
159 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
When you say you checked all of the fuel lines, are you talking about just the engine bay or did you remove the storage trays and check the lines at the pump as well?

Is the car stock?
There are no CELs and I have everything removed to see the top of the fuel pump and the charcoal canister (the lines here are in perfect condition). Thanks for the help so far guys.

edit: The CEL does operate normally in the car, the fuel cap looks like it is in perfect condition but I am getting a rattle that can be heard every once in a while from that general area, all the mods to the car are in my sig (intake/header/exhaust)

·
Premium Member
3,603 Posts
do you keep adding petrol after the pump's auto cut off?

·
Registered
159 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
do you keep adding petrol after the pump's auto cut off?
I am a bit guilty of this but just one extra splash after the initial cutoff. Also, I can smell it mainly from the drivers side vent just after driving the car but also get a small whiff of it inside too. Again, thanks for the help!

·
Registered
159 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
OK, a bit of an update: I found a tiny pool of oil on the floor in the garage today and it seems to be coming from the transmission, right were the starter is located. I recently had the starter serviced so I guess they did a poor job putting things back together or used a bad gasket (go figure, its the one time I let a shop touch my car). Now, I could see this lowering my fuel economy a bit and being very bad on the car but would it cause gas fumes to escape? Also, I recall that there is a way to check the level of the oil in the transmission, would this just be through the fill hole? Thanks again for the help and suggestions.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts