MR2 SpyderChat banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
125 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've been browsing the SMT threads and cant seem to find a list of aftermarket clutches that work best for the SMT. And since I am not even close to knowledgeable on the SMT, I was just wondering if there was a list ever compiled. If so, please post the link. If not lets start a list for all to use:):)

·
Registered
1,029 Posts
According to Exedy and ACT(long phone calls with each), neither have one that is guaranteed to work on the SMT. F1 has one, but honestly I would go to stock instead due to length of service. There's really no reason to go to aftermarket, the speed of the system isn't limited by the clutch. After you get the system sped up to a certain point the fluid speeds to the GSA become more of a hindrance than the clutch. The only things that can change the lag after that would be hydraulic perfomance modifications. Steel lines, a higher powered HPU, and strengthening improvements to the GSA... none of which have been a source of aftermarket developement.

Basically stick with the stock, unless you're a mechanical engineer with a lot of time on your hands.

·
Registered
125 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I know you guys know quite a bit about the spyder and I do understand that an aftermarket clutch isn't really needed, but if someone were to want to buy one (not saying I still want to) where or who would they be able to purchase it from. Not trying to be a smart ass, just wanted to start a list of where or who offers them.:mellow::mellow:

·
Registered
501 Posts
I'm using a exedy ST0 clutch http://www.monkeywrenchracing.com/product_info.php?cPath=43_67_109&products_id=1265 from monkey wrench racing in my smt, I only went aftermarket as Toyota Australia stock next to nothing for a spyder so a oem clutch was extremely expensive.
Get a lightweight flywheel in there too whilst the clutch is getting swapped it makes a difference in the shifting speed of a smt, smoother too.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.