MR2 SpyderChat banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi there fellow members,im after some advice,ive been offered the chance to buy a mr2 year 2000, with the smt gearbox,theres a fault on the car,i went to have a look at it today,when you turn the ignition on the sequential warning light is on on the dash, if you try to start it it wont turn over, so i got under it and crossed the starter motor and it fired up and started, i let it run a while to warm up, when i tried to select s on the transmission it cut out,so i crossed the starter again to start it,it run again for a while,i then tried to select reverse,it let me select it and the light on the dash said it was in reverse, as soon as i let the parkbrake off it cut out again,at all times i had the car jacked up with the rear wheels off the ground.any clues?

·
Registered
5,835 Posts
Yeah, don't buy it for more than scrap value.
Oh yea.. Like you Know..

Oh.. wait.. You have one Parked, Don't you.. :) ..

Cap

·
Registered
1,029 Posts
Hi there fellow members,im after some advice,ive been offered the chance to buy a mr2 year 2000, with the smt gearbox,theres a fault on the car,i went to have a look at it today,when you turn the ignition on the sequential warning light is on on the dash, if you try to start it it wont turn over, so i got under it and crossed the starter motor and it fired up and started, i let it run a while to warm up, when i tried to select s on the transmission it cut out,so i crossed the starter again to start it,it run again for a while,i then tried to select reverse,it let me select it and the light on the dash said it was in reverse, as soon as i let the parkbrake off it cut out again,at all times i had the car jacked up with the rear wheels off the ground.any clues?

First question: Does it have a new battery?

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
smt fault

First question: Does it have a new battery?
hi there, dont think its had a new battery,doesnt look new,ive disconnected it and left it for 10 mins and then reconnected but light still on,as ive said tho the fault is obviously stopping me from starting it on the key,was wondering was it a sensor or switch fault not telling the ecu its in neutral? ive never seen 1 of these transmissions before so dont know how they work,but the cars only done 60k which is nothing,was hopeing it could be a simple fix,however im realising that nobody seems to no much about then as ive also posted this topic on the british mr2 club and havent had any usefull help there either,is there thing i could cheak first perhaps? before stripping it to bits?

·
Registered
1,029 Posts
hi there, dont think its had a new battery,doesnt look new,ive disconnected it and left it for 10 mins and then reconnected but light still on,as ive said tho the fault is obviously stopping me from starting it on the key,was wondering was it a sensor or switch fault not telling the ecu its in neutral? ive never seen 1 of these transmissions before so dont know how they work,but the cars only done 60k which is nothing,was hopeing it could be a simple fix,however im realising that nobody seems to no much about then as ive also posted this topic on the british mr2 club and havent had any usefull help there either,is there thing i could cheak first perhaps? before stripping it to bits?
SMT's are very finicky about their batteries, if the guy said it ran before he parked it it's a very good possibility. First go to that link Cap gave and manually put the car in neutral. Second listen to the sound that's similar to an aquarium air pump that starts when you open the door and time how long it runs. Turn the key. If it still refuses to do a neutral start there's a very good likelihood of bad neutral position sensor. Easiest way to find out is to go to a parts store and do a tool loan for an obd2 reader and look at the stored codes. A bad battery can throw a bunch nonsensical codes. A neutral position sensor will throw a bad neutral sensor code or a tcu error code, just post the code numbers and there a few people here that can help you from there.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts