MR2 SpyderChat banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I replaced the clutch on my 2005 Spyder about 6 months ago. In the past month I noticed its starting to act up when shifting. It's ok once I'm on the highway but when I'm taking off in first gear it almost feels like a brake is on and it bucks and chugs slightly until it gets rolling. Today while I was driving in first or second (it happened a couple of times on my short errand) and slowed down, then accelerated again, it acted as if it wasn't in gear for a moment (engine just revved up) and then it kicked in even though the indicator was showing I was in first (or second) the whole time.

I've also noticed a new whining sound on the rear passenger side that I don't hear when it's in neutral and I rev the engine a bit. It may be related since I only hear it when my spyder is under load in gear.

Is there a way to check the tranny fluid in a SMT?

Man I love my spyder...hate to be having troubles with her.

Has anyone else experienced this?

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I guess it's time to learn to work on my Spyder myself. It has run so well these wonderful 121,000 miles and needed so little attention that I haven't had to do much.

One last question. Are there any books or manuals you could recommend regarding care, maintenance and troubleshooting?

·
Registered
132 Posts
the BGB (Big green book) aka the repair manual

·
Registered
1,029 Posts
It doesn't sound like an SMT problem, but a power problem. You have to know that everything dealing with how you interface with the car is electrical (even the accelerator, there's no cable it's electronically controlled). If there's supposed to be power at a certain time the smt will act like that power is there whether it's there or not. You're problem could be anything from bad injectors, a vacuum problem, even an alternator problem because of the systems reliance on electrical power to run correctly. If you have a check engine light on get it diagnosed and come back, even if it doesn't have one going to the indicator at this time any saved codes would help diagnose the problem.

...and I sure as hell hope you gutted your pre-cats.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
So far no lights are on, on the dash. I considered doing the work myself (just flushing the SMT fluid, checking the gear lube and cleaning the input speed sensor) as I used to work on my trucks but at this point I guess I'm tired of breaking my nails and busting my knuckles and have decided I'd rather get a manicure while I wait for the work to be done.

With that said, I don't like (3 hours of patient waiting to find out I needed a clutch and a rude service rep) nor trust the local Toyota repair shop. In the 90s Toyota service was great (I had two little 4x4 trucks in a row) but I was in NY, not the Louisville, KY/Southern, IN area and this ain't the 90s.

Bottom line: Who can I trust to work on my beloved Spyder in the Louisville/Southern Indiana area?

·
Registered
5,904 Posts
OOOps.. Sorry.. Woman..

Hokymule worked on her own spyder.. you can too.. it was ( is ) also a SMT

Sounds like the APS MIGHT be going out..

That is the recieving end of the throttle cable from your right foot to the engine. It's Called the Acceleration Position Sensor.. I'll find the Link and Post it..

EDIT: here is one http://spyderchat.com/forums/showthread.php?48309-APS-Problems

Cap

1 - 13 of 13 Posts