MR2 SpyderChat banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Premium Member
145 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi All. My SMT computer screwed up the other day. It was a lot of excitement with the clutch engaging at the wrong time and gears grinding uncontrollably. Toyota did a reset and I understand it has to relearn the shift points. It is definitely working better but it clunks into gear between 1-2 and 2-3. It seems to be getting better or maybe I am just getting used to it. The one thing I am finding unnerving is the clutch now engages the transmission as I take my foot off the brake. Before the reset, it would not engage until I started pressing the accelerator. Is this part of the relearn process or is there something else that needs to be reset or is this how it normally works and it was not working correct before? Thank you for any enlightenment.

·
Registered
5,879 Posts
The 'Reset' by the dealer is an interesting term..

Normally the Dealer fix is to start tossing parts at it..

At this point I would take it back to the dealer, and have then run the 'Sensor Relearn' procedure on it, then a 'Friction Point' Re-Learn.. Sounds like it's still not proper..

Did it give any Codes while it was chewing up your Transmission?.

Cap

·
Registered
1,029 Posts
Sounds like they did the sensor relearn without running the friction relearn afterwards. Like cap said, I'd take it back and have them do it again, this time make sure they back into wherever they 'reset' the computer, friction relearn requires a drive forward and a drive backwards can mess it up.

·
Premium Member
145 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
Thank you for the feedback. I checked with the Toyota and they said no codes came up so they did a 'parts replacement reset' and that seemed to fix the problem. When it was in the shop it was noise first so they did have to back it out. This type of transmission is so rare up here you know all the tech is doing is reeding a manual.

·
Registered
1,029 Posts
Bring a copy of pages 19 & 20 of this with you in case they don't have it.

·
Registered
654 Posts
Thank you for the feedback. I checked with the Toyota and they said no codes came up so they did a 'parts replacement reset' and that seemed to fix the problem.
That is what i did, part exchange (yes i have the tech stream software) and the car worked until next day when turning on the ignition N didn't lit up and no gear could be engaged. My car is at Toyota now. Rare? Me living in Sweden, population 9,5 million, there are only four (4) SMT:s so i think they have to look everything up! :)

Hope you get your car fixed.

·
Registered
654 Posts
Heh, I think CDNguy has you neat there -- I doubt there are 10 SMTs in Canada (SPyder was never sold new there).
It was never sold in Canada? Isn't that kind of strange? Well i think I'm in second place then with 86 manuals and 4 imported SMT:s registered in Sweden. :)

·
Registered
1,445 Posts
It was never sold in Canada? Isn't that kind of strange? Well i think I'm in second place then with 86 manuals and 4 imported SMT:s registered in Sweden. :)
I wonder if there is any way to find out how many Spyders are currently registered in the US.

·
Registered
439 Posts
OP, I saw you mentioned there were no codes. With that said, do you know why the SMT computer got screwed up? Is this a sign of a worn out clutch?

All, when you replace a cluch, what type of relearn are you suppose to do?... part replacement relearn, sensor relearn, friction relearn? What happens if the relearn does not take place?

·
Registered
1,029 Posts
Usually need to do a full sensor relearn after a clutch because you have to unplug the position sensors to get the transmission out from underneath the car.

There's really only one 'relearn'. The relearn has two parts, one the car does on it's own (sensor relearn) the second requires driving (friction point relearn). Both are done after the stored numbers are reset in the ECU (that's what is done in the parts exchange of techstream).

·
Registered
1,029 Posts
yah, each state has it's own car registry, so you'd have to get the amount from each one.

·
Premium Member
145 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I took my Spyder back to Toyota and had them clear the ECU and TCM memory and do the relearn process again. That seemed to do the trick. The cluch is engaging properly from a stopped position and as the transmission moves though the gears. I am all smiles again, thank you for your help.

·
Registered
654 Posts
I took my Spyder back to Toyota and had them clear the ECU and TCM memory and do the relearn process again. That seemed to do the trick. The cluch is engaging properly from a stopped position and as the transmission moves though the gears. I am all smiles again, thank you for your help.
Gongrats! :)

(In my case if a replacment of the TCU don't fix it maybe the ECU is the problem. The ECU has a big part in the way the gear box works. I have the oroginal non flashable ECU on my 2001.)

·
Premium Member
145 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I am not sure of the version of the ECU but I looked today and turns out I have an old version of the TCM. The model number ends in 20. The 20 is for the six speed and 40 for the five speed is the old version. If you have a five speed with a model number that ends in 41 or a six speed that ends in 50 or 60 you have the new version. The new version of the TCM addresses that hard downshift issue. I'll wait for someone to be parting out a later 03 of 04/05 and see if I can get the unit off of them.

Thanks again for all your help.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts