MR2 SpyderChat banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I bought a 2002 Spyder from a used car dealership with no prior information on the previous owner and since I've had it (a few weeks), it has shown me its certainly going to be a fixer-upper. Which is fine, long before buying it I figured it'd be a project car that I'd do a 2zz swap and tranny swap.

So what it's doing : the transmission almost feels like it's in limp mode because it'll jerk and lose power at around 3-3.5k rpm (sometimes it'll jerk back and continue to climb, sometimes it'll make me lose enough power I lose speed from roughly 70 to 55mph). This happens generally when in 3rd to 5th gear. A way around it is, ride the hard rpm up to 4.5k rpm then push it into 5th gear, then cruise control it and it gets over its kwerk.

Another issue in all gears, the red tranny light (gear light) turns on starting in any gear if I go over 1.5k rpm. When the light is on, I can't shift up or down. The only way for me to get around this is to get the rpm at around 4.5k before the light shuts off and I can shift. If I'm going fast enough, it won't turn on, but if I'm in town, it can turn back on in any gear I'm in long enough. Occasionally a beeping sound will turn on in 3rd-5th gear for a few moments.

Lastly... when I first drove it on the highway, I see I'm going 70 at 3.5k rpm but the tranny kept jerking as if its just constantly slipping. While fighting the gears, I went beyond 5th gear and it shifts normal and sounds okay but the light indicating the gear is blank. I have no idea what to make of that, but if I remain in this phantom 6th gear, the red light turns on after 20 seconds and I get stuck in that gear.

Any thoughts on this? I've heard I might need hpu fluid (that ridiculous 150 dollar/qt stuff), maybe a tranny flush and fluid, I bet I need a new clutch. And I don't know about the blank 6th gear but I avoid using it.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
+1^
what’s the mileage?
No 6th gear light? Maybe because it used to be a 5 speed (2002).
The mileage is 99,535. And when I push it into "6th gear", it shifts and has lower rpm like it would if I had 6 gears. And the number in the dash does go from a lit up 5 to a blank dark screen. This car is only supposed to have a 5 spd. Unless maybe there was a swap?

And any specific dot4 to use? Brand or composition? And I'm looking into a cable but I'm not experienced in which one to get or what price range to be in.

·
Registered
1,883 Posts
Your car has a 6 speed transmission with a 6 speed TCU, but it has a 5 speed instrument cluster. So, yes, that was a swap. No reason not tu use it. It should work fine.

·
Registered
1,562 Posts
The mileage is 99,535. And when I push it into "6th gear", it shifts and has lower rpm like it would if I had 6 gears. And the number in the dash does go from a lit up 5 to a blank dark screen. This car is only supposed to have a 5 spd. Unless maybe there was a swap?

And any specific dot4 to use? Brand or composition? And I'm looking into a cable but I'm not experienced in which one to get or what price range to be in.
Sounds like it was a swap so who knows the mileage on the 6 speed. I would say anything over 100k the clutch is worn out on the SMT.
I would stick with DOT3 fluid as I suspect some of the different manufacturers of DOT4 may affect the seals. I’ve been using cheap Prestone at Walmart for several years in two mr2s without issue.
I would definitely check for codes in case the problem is something simple like the clutch stroke sensor. That would explain the jerking you’re feeling. It may even be a combination of things.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Well I'm waiting for a cable to come in and I'm talking to anyone I know that might have a laptop, then all that is needed to a place to find the best version of techstream for the mr2. Now something I need is some dot fluid to at least let me shift with ease hopefully.

Difficulty to get the air box off?

1 - 9 of 9 Posts