MR2 SpyderChat banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I have bought my 2001 Spyder a few months ago, very recently she decides to throw up the SMT failure light in the middle of traffic. I pulled it over and restarted the engine... to no avail.

Car wont change past first gear.

After getting it home i did an OBD II test on it. p0715 input sensor failure and p0780 shift malfunction come up glaring at me. I assume that the the shift malfunction is a direct causation due to the input sensor failure as I have read on this forum.

So I got under the car, cleaned the input sensor (to my knowledge the one underneath the transmission in between the fill and drain cap of the oil) the sensor itself had a few metal fragments but the oil was relatively free of any.

Plugged it back up, reset the battery. But still the same error codes came up.

2 years ago the previous owner had the HPU and the GSA replaced, I am hoping to avoid the $3.5k job if possible.

Anyone been in this position before or have any tips? any guidance would be appreciated.

Kind Regards.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yessir, wiped the codes out using and ODB2 interaction and the ECU cam back clean.

P0715 comes up after I drive to about 10km/h or the revs hit slightly above 1.5k.

p0780 does not come until I actually try to shit the gear out of first.

Other noteable items (I guess):

1: A small what I can only describe as a voltage drop happens just before the 0715 error comes up i.e dulling of the headleads slightly and a low buzz (about 1 second)

2: There are no errors at start up of the engine, I am able to shift into second gear and drive, but also for a short time and then 0715 comes on again.

Sev

·
Registered
1,029 Posts
with the p0715 throwing like that I would say bad input sensor, but with the voltage drop I would check the alternator fuses and get your battery and/or alternator tested.

An SMT car will start on a bad battery, but the low pull makes the SMT act wonky. I would get that checked first and foremost.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I did give the sensor a clean with no result. The battery had been giving out sufficient voltage when I had it tested a few months a go. The voltage drop is almost insignificant as it is so short, it is happens at about 1400 revs in a driving gear and the error at 1500. I will get the rest of the electrics tested by my long time local mechanic and see how it goes Monday.

I don't feel like taking it to Toyota here in Australia and get the old flowchart sending me broke unnecessarily.

·
Registered
5,877 Posts
Flowchart to Bankruptcy..

I always wondered what to call the SMT portion of the BGB..

Thanks..

Cap

·
Registered
1,986 Posts
An SMT car will start on a bad battery, but the low pull makes the SMT act wonky. I would get that checked first and foremost.
This seems like an easy and inexpensive fix (ok, only when it works). I've seen a lot of posts where batteries have been "tested" and found to be ok, but where problems weren't solved untill the battery had been replaced. I'd give replacing the battery a try, before handing it over to the mechanic (who surely will not be working for free).

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Flowchart to Bankruptcy..

I always wondered what to call the SMT portion of the BGB..

Thanks..

Cap
It's the best I could describe it to be honest.

The battery suggestion is an interesting point, I will give it a go before I do anything rash. After which its a fault finding game with the local mechanic.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
For anyone playing it home, it was indeed the input shaft speed sensor, it is located on the midpoint between the fill and drain plugs on the transmission in the underbody, it is covered by a small metal plate and should be easily identifiable by the wire that is coming from it, the car has been switching much nicer ever since.

In other news the car started not liking to go into reverse with the engine nanny switching the whole thing off
funny thing is though is that I am not getting any error codes when plugging in the OBD reader...

I am not sure that this is due to the fact that a clutch relearn was not done, however the ECU was cleared

i guess it is time to replace the reverse switch (84210-12040) according to what previous members have stated the problem sounds very similar

·
Registered
17 Posts
For anyone playing it home, it was indeed the input shaft speed sensor, it is located on the midpoint between the fill and drain plugs on the transmission in the underbody, it is covered by a small metal plate and should be easily identifiable by the wire that is coming from it, the car has been switching much nicer ever since.

In other news the car started not liking to go into reverse with the engine nanny switching the whole thing off
funny thing is though is that I am not getting any error codes when plugging in the OBD reader...

I am not sure that this is due to the fact that a clutch relearn was not done, however the ECU was cleared

i guess it is time to replace the reverse switch (84210-12040) according to what previous members have stated the problem sounds very similar

So, that's mean you have change the input shaft speed sensor and all come to normal? The shift can be go up above shift 1 again?

1 - 10 of 10 Posts