MR2 SpyderChat banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I'm looking at a Spyder, but I've noticed a number of the Spyder's have gearbox issues (here in Australia only the SMT was available). Anyone know anything about these issues how to identify the issue, how to fix the issue ect?

·
Registered
1,452 Posts
Unfortunately, it is a very complex system and very few people know how to fix it. At least, that is the case in the US. The most common problems seem to be:

Hydraulic pump worn out.
Hydraulic leak, with subsequent damage to sensors or actuators.
Some other sensor problem. There are many. Speed sensors, position sensors at the transmission, the selector lever, the throttle body, the door, probably others.
Power distribution.
Normal manual transmission problems, such as clutch and synchronizers. Since these are operated by robot, they are not as easy to diagnose as in a standard manual.

Good luck in your search.

·
Registered
87 Posts
Really? You can’t buy a five speed in Australia? That’s not giving you much of a option. If you can’t buy anything except the SMT you may as well save up for the conversion. From what I’ve read it’s a real pita but it can be done.

·
Registered
3,820 Posts
So I'm looking at a Spyder, but I've noticed a number of the Spyder's have gearbox issues (here in Australia only the SMT was available). Anyone know anything about these issues how to identify the issue, how to fix the issue ect?
I know how to fix them. So far I’ve bought two broken SMT cars for $1500-$2000 each. Fixed them and sold to my children for cost. They love them! The SMT system is similar to an old car, tires wear out, paint fades, seats get dirty. Buy a new car if that’s what you want. If you want simplicity buy a bicycle.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts