MR2 SpyderChat banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
2002 spyder SMT, 75,000 mi
my SMT tranny went out this today i need help diagnosing the problem and deciding to fix it or just make it a five speed.

i had just started my car and was sending a text while it was in gear when all of the sudden my car lurches forward and chugged the same way a regular manual does when you dump the clutch.

now it wont go into gear it just beeps at me the same way it does when you need to down shift to go up a hill.

i live in joplin mo and no good mechanic will touch it and i don't want my car to be a learning experience for a bad one

which brings me back to should i go and fix it or should i do a five speed swap

PS. can an mr2 from 2002 be a six speed? and any pricing figures would be great

·
Registered
1,003 Posts
wouldnt usually bother because of the headache a SMT tranny can be

but if you decide to, i can help u do a conversion to a true manual (5speed)

consider 2k ish for everything (if you buy a donor car its the easiest way)
BUT.....reliability after the transmission swap should be so much better!

im only one of a handfull in the US that i know about thats done a SMT to true manual conversion

plus im in Cape girardeau, Mo, perdy darn close to joplin

in reference to your problem with the smt, its either the clutch needs replaced or the HPU pump is low on fluid or malfunctioning of some sort, nothing you have mentioned makes me think its the GSA or TCU (transmission control unit)

i also work at toyota so pst me if you get serious about doing a conversion, id be happy to help
rburton

·
Registered
1,115 Posts
Holy crap. Why do people think their cell phone breaks their Spyder at parking speed?

...i had just started my car and was sending a text while it was in gear when all of the sudden...
...packing into a parking spot at my apartment while doing wayyy too much stuff (talking on my phone and eating mcdonalds).... all of a sudden....
http://spyderchat.com/forums/showth...PENED!-Weird-Engine-smoke...&highlight=burger

I love "packing into."

Dear OP, good luck, I am sorry for your issue. If you hate the SMT then switch. Otherwise don't jump ship too fast until you have it fully diagnosed.

·
Registered
5,877 Posts
Get the Codes..

If the Clutch came apart, then the SMT would be really pissed ablut the situation, and not be able to do a thing about it..

If the Clutch Position Sensor Died, then Same senario..

Either you are going to have to get your hands dirty, and figure it out, or get your hands dirty converting it..

Either way, it'll be messy.. and pricy..

·
Registered
1,029 Posts
get your airbox off and check your HPU fluid level. Sounds like you sucked air into the system.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts