MR2 SpyderChat banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all, having a bit of trouble (expected) with my SMT Spyder. It all started a couple of days ago with the car suddenly stalling at a red light trying to take off in first suddenly. Limped home by revving and engaging first which was a bit jittery but got the car home. Tried the battery disconnect to relearn SMT, which worked for about half an hour until I got stuck on the road again. Now the car fails to leave neutral (when engine is both on and off), with both the Neutral and SMT lights flashing and battery disconnect wont work. The SMT pump seems to turn off when the door is opened in about 30-40 seconds but when the car is turned on an cycling pumping sound can be heard alongside the smt pump, sort of sounds like the clutch is being engaged and disengaged as the car tries to switch into gear although I am not sure. I have ordered a mini VCI cable and will go to get fresh SMT fluid tomorrow to try another proper relearn and fresh fluid to see if it does anything but am a little stumped as to what it could be besides a faulty TCU as it was fine up until this fateful day. Car has recently hit 165000km, which was when I needed a new clutch on my old manual spyder but this SMT didnt really give any indications beforehand of a slipping clutch so I'm inclined to think it's not that. It's also the same whether or not the car is warm or cold.

Does anyone have any experience like this and any idea of what it might be? Particularly the cycling pump/hydraulic sound accompanying the classic SMT pump noise.

·
Registered
5,480 Posts
There is a failure mode where the GSA tries to engage a gear three times. The pump runs. Then tries again three more times. It will do this repeatedly until the battery dies.
I’ve seen it twice, before I swapped out GSA and HPU units. I assume it’s trying unsuccessfully to engage a gear.
I don’t have a silver bullet solution. I’d say you’re in the right track replacing fluid and running techstream relearn. Hopefully it will be generate some helpful codes.
You can also study the “data list” screen to look for faults. I have screen shots of correct data list readings in neutral, first gear and reverse.

·
Registered
1,993 Posts
Since the battery was disconnected, the code(s) are gone but if you disconnect the battery again and manually put the trans in neutral, then reconnect the battery, you’ll likely be able to set some new codes when the condition happens again.
I think it’s probably the clutch stroke sensor. Check for SMT fluid on and around that sensor. If there is, then that’s the issue.

·
Registered
1,993 Posts
One other thing to check while you’re under there is the GSA actuator link for a sheared bolt or broken link pin. It’s located behind a plastic cover.
I think this is a possibility if you’re getting a flashing neutral light while the cabin shifter and the trans are both in neutral. I wasn’t sure if that’s what you were saying.

·
Registered
04 toy mr2 spider
4 Posts
There is a failure mode where the GSA tries to engage a gear three times. The pump runs. Then tries again three more times. It will do this repeatedly until the battery dies.
I’ve seen it twice, before I swapped out GSA and HPU units. I assume it’s trying unsuccessfully to engage a gear.
I don’t have a silver bullet solution. I’d say you’re in the right track replacing fluid and running techstream relearn. Hopefully it will be generate some helpful codes.
You can also study the “data list” screen to look for faults. I have screen shots of correct data list readings in neutral, first gear and reverse.
Hi, I am new in this forum, jut I own a 04 spider smt, that only give me problems,
Could you send me information on how to get techstream for free, because I need to diagnose me spider.

·
Registered
93 Posts
The 3x clutch cycle and pump run means the TCU is in relearn mode but the parameters it's seeing won't let it progress. It's unfortunate that there doesn't seem to be a way to tell the TCU to stop the relearn.

When I had this problem it was because the replacement clutch pressure plate was too shallow. As soon as a I shimmed the pivot stud and powered the TCU back up the relearn continued as normal.

It could be your clutch stroke sensor or a pressure problem.

For techstream instructions you can see the SMT Facebook group or Installing TechStream Drivers on x64

·
Registered
5,480 Posts
1 - 8 of 8 Posts