MR2 SpyderChat banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
142 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok you all know, I purchased an smt car with prevoius problems and have been restoring it from the bottom up.
New body new paint, and lots of smt parts, my selector pin bolt had came off the shaft, the car was haulted until new GSA and lots of other goodies, well after all the repairs and final relearn at Toyota , I drove to the paint shop, picked the car up and drove it home praying all the bad days will stay gone.

Well, not so much, car is doing everything it did before, and what I feel broke part of the selector pin off.
No codes? were thrown, but car comes out of the gear when I try to back up, specially if on a incline, looses the gear and makes a grinding sound like metal to metal, car when at a stop, will loose first gear and flash neutral, or forget where it's at, and as before absolutely hates 2nd gear it will loose it's place there if I spend to long in it, and grind something aweful.

What is it? I am exhausted how has clutch knowlege? it's the only place I havent been
Nick

·
Registered
1,029 Posts
Sounds like bearing failure in the tranny with the grinding noise when it pops out of reverse. Check the gear oil for metal and if it smells like roasted walnuts. If you have a decent amount of metal in the oil stop driving and you might be able to just get a rebuild before the shaft separation starts eating teeth away.

·
Registered
1,131 Posts
Ok you all know, I purchased an smt car with prevoius problems and have been restoring it from the bottom up.
New body new paint, and lots of smt parts, my selector pin bolt had came off the shaft, the car was haulted until new GSA and lots of other goodies, well after all the repairs and final relearn at Toyota , I drove to the paint shop, picked the car up and drove it home praying all the bad days will stay gone.

Well, not so much, car is doing everything it did before, and what I feel broke part of the selector pin off.
No codes? were thrown, but car comes out of the gear when I try to back up, specially if on a incline, looses the gear and makes a grinding sound like metal to metal, car when at a stop, will loose first gear and flash neutral, or forget where it's at, and as before absolutely hates 2nd gear it will loose it's place there if I spend to long in it, and grind something aweful.

What is it? I am exhausted how has clutch knowlege? it's the only place I havent been
Nick
This is completely different from what i was thinking your problem was.You said Toyota did the relearn for you.

·
Registered
1,029 Posts
This is completely different from what i was thinking your problem was.You said Toyota did the relearn for you.
Yah, this is the first time he mentioned metallic grinding as it falls out of gear, otherwise it would have been my first guess that he had bearing failure causing stuff to knock around in there (break the gsu pin) and slipping off reverse (gravity pushing input shaft away from reverse). The speedo problem was possibly from the input sensor being too close to the main shaft (another gravity deal with no bearing). I really would like to know what his gear oil looks/smells like.

·
Registered
142 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I think you guys are on the right track maybe, car hates second and Edwin mentioned possibility of a second gear syncro, to be at fault.
The poping out of reverse, that one gets me please explain more?
Nice of Edwin to tell me the car will shift into Neutral if no foot is on the brake after 90 seconds did not know this, learn something new every day.
when the car gets lost well, the smt comes out of gear, it does sound like a high speed drill or two metal disc's grinding each other, I always get a picture in my head of like wel ever see a cheese grater disc, well two of them rubbing each other.
can someone explain ,where the syncro's are and how do you replace and or what a new clutch may cost and can I do it?

Nick

·
Registered
1,029 Posts
OEM clutch kit should cost about $150 (there's no kit, but your local Mr. T parts guy should know what to order when you say kit). And as far as can you do it, that really depends on your mechanical aptitude, it basically involves removing 90% of the stuff that you see to the left of your engine if you're looking at it from the back. A good write up of the standard is here. For the SMT you have to add in removing the gsu hoses and sensors, and removing the gsa. If that scares you, then you should probably have someone do it for you.

As far as popping out of reverse, hold 3 fingers sideways with a small gap in between them. Now push the middle finger towards the bottom one. That's what i think your transmission is doing right now. I think the bearing that would hold that center 'finger' in place has gone out.

·
Registered
1,131 Posts
I think you guys are on the right track maybe, car hates second and Edwin mentioned possibility of a second gear syncro, to be at fault.
The poping out of reverse, that one gets me please explain more?
Nice of Edwin to tell me the car will shift into Neutral if no foot is on the brake after 90 seconds did not know this, learn something new every day.
when the car gets lost well, the smt comes out of gear, it does sound like a high speed drill or two metal disc's grinding each other, I always get a picture in my head of like wel ever see a cheese grater disc, well two of them rubbing each other.
can someone explain ,where the syncro's are and how do you replace and or what a new clutch may cost and can I do it?

Nick
The Syncros are inside the transmission something you don't want to mess if you don't know what your doing.A Transmission shop can put new syncro on if that is the problem.

Take a video of what is happening to your car.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts