MR2 SpyderChat banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
142 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
noticed a noise coming from the GSA, today the new one, selector pin was coming out and going, or poping back in repeatedly, looking for the world its in.

Can someone tell me how we can put all the re-learns, for the clutch, frition point, tcu -ecu, and maybe one I am missing all in the same place in the Library, because I relly think toyota is clueless, on covering all of them when you ask them to do a re-learn and I am going to have to start over and make sure they all have been done myself or I am going to have to dig deep into the trans for the issue when maybe it still a relearn issue.

Nick

·
Registered
870 Posts
Relean for friction: I use it quite oftern and does work..

The procedure is as follows:

1. Warm up your car, until coolant temp gauge is horizontal

2. On a straight stretch of road, put car into 1st and start moving

3. At an appropriate point, shift directly from 1st into 3rd

4. On 3rd, rev engine to over 3000rpm, then lift off throttle. Let car coast and rpm drop (without applying breaks) to below 3000rpm and downshift into
2nd. Again, let car coast in 2nd until rpm below 2000rpm.

5. Apply break and stop car.

Repeat steps 1 through 5 three times.

See if that helps at all.

·
Registered
1,115 Posts
Relean for friction: I use it quite oftern and does work..
But you need a handheld Toyota tool to force SMT ECU to relearn mode. Pulling the battery for X seconds only sets the engine ECU to relearn. I tried for a week and finally had to take it to Toyota to get their 'hydrospanner' magic. Bought my car used in '09 and that fixed the gear grinding, no pedal creep, and jerk launches from complete stop. SMT is the source of insults: creep and jerk.

Agreed it needs to be consolidated and debated. Someone did post the Toyota official SMT ECU relearn procedure here a long time ago..it was a pdf.

·
Registered
654 Posts
But you need a handheld Toyota tool to force SMT ECU to relearn mode. Pulling the battery for X seconds only sets the engine ECU to relearn. I tried for a week and finally had to take it to Toyota to get their 'hydrospanner' magic. Bought my car used in '09 and that fixed the gear grinding, no pedal creep, and jerk launches from complete stop. SMT is the source of insults: creep and jerk.

Agreed it needs to be consolidated and debated. Someone did post the Toyota official SMT ECU relearn procedure here a long time ago..it was a pdf.
Ok... that was a new one. Please continue the debate!

·
Registered
74 Posts
relean for friction: I use it quite oftern and does work..

The procedure is as follows:

1. Warm up your car, until coolant temp gauge is horizontal

2. On a straight stretch of road, put car into 1st and start moving

3. At an appropriate point, shift directly from 1st into 3rd

4. On 3rd, rev engine to over 3000rpm, then lift off throttle. Let car coast and rpm drop (without applying breaks) to below 3000rpm and downshift into
2nd. Again, let car coast in 2nd until rpm below 2000rpm.

5. Apply break and stop car.

Repeat steps 1 through 5 three times.

See if that helps at all.
what exactly does this fix?

·
Registered
1,115 Posts
what exactly does this fix?
Using a different relearn approach but with the same results, this is what I fixed:

1. Grinding - driving hard might grind during transition from 2nd to 3rd. Even while driving soft I could get a random grind going from 3rd to 2nd. Other combos might produce grinding.

2. Creep - Sit at a stop sign and take your foot off the brake, car would roll forward and possibly stall.

3. Harsh launch (FUN!) - The SMT would engage the clutch very quickly when going from 0mph to ~5mph. Tires would chirp if you aren't careful. Passenger's head would always hit the headrest.

·
Registered
870 Posts

·
Registered
654 Posts
Clutch friction point...

Some say it doesn't work, but I've had good results with it..
Well I'm ambivalent. It seems to work for a while. My jerking when I want to start smoothly appear to be sporadic. Last night when I backed out when I was going home from work, no jerking at all. It was as if the problem had disseperad. A little jerk when I ran forward, but very little. Then it was ok all the way home. Today I had the jerking back but a little less.

I think it is the TCU that has to be reprogrammed but since I have the first generation of the data-box I have to get the car to Toyota and pay. I don't like to pay for that kind of stuff and I'm not 100% sure that it is the fix so I'll wait and see and just drive. Maybe the electronics went crazy that day 5 months ago when my gearbox went to pieces inside (I got a new one on the 10 year warranty). If the new gearbox also breaks down maybe Toyota are going to think twice before just putting a new gear box in and instead try to diagnose the cause of the gear box failure. I had the same jerking before so nothing has changed in that matter with a new gear box.

Here i go again... thinking! ;)

1 - 11 of 11 Posts