MR2 SpyderChat banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My 2003 SMT acted up and did not shift correctly, so I looked and noticed the reservoir was low.

:confused:
I added fluid (75-90) but did it from the top (reaching under the air filter) and could not see the "full" line.

Apparently, I overfilled it, and some was expelled after my test drive. Since then, it has all been down hill. The first pumping action is about right (4-5 seconds after opening the drivers door. I start it and the pump keeps pumping on for a while, off for a short while, and then back on, repeatedly.

I got it to move in reverse, but after that I have no gear engagement. The shop where I took it found the leak and is going to fix those o-rings, but do I need to re-train it afterwards?

Does overfilling the reservoir damage something. The Repair Manual simply states "DO NOT OVERFILL"

·
Registered
1,177 Posts
As far as I know over filling just results in a mess being that the smt system will just spit out the excess. I have over filled before but nothing severe, and I believe I have read it on here others had the same results. Just because I haven't heard of the problem though doesn't mean over filling can't cause damage. Your problem could be unrelated but maybe one of the smt gurus can chime in on this one and offer more knowledge on the topic.

·
Registered
870 Posts
you used 75-90 what???? gear oil????

should be a dot4 brake fluid only

·
Registered
4,144 Posts
90W Gear lube is used to lubricate the gears in the transmission. The SMT system bolts to the transmission and is an 800 psi hydraulic system that runs on SMT fluid ($130/litre). Folks have been using DOT4 instead with no complaints. You need to flush your entire SMT system with fresh SMT fluid to get that gear oil out of there. I don't know what the capacity of the whole system is, but a litre bottle will refill the SMT reservoir about three times. I think I'd drain and refill the reservoir a bunch of times to flush out the heavy oil.

·
Registered
1,131 Posts
90W Gear lube is used to lubricate the gears in the transmission. The SMT system bolts to the transmission and is an 800 psi hydraulic system that runs on SMT fluid ($130/litre). Folks have been using DOT4 instead with no complaints. You need to flush your entire SMT system with fresh SMT fluid to get that gear oil out of there. I don't know what the capacity of the whole system is, but a litre bottle will refill the SMT reservoir about three times. I think I'd drain and refill the reservoir a bunch of times to flush out the heavy oil.
WOW I can't believe what I'm reading.How in the world would you commit such disaster:confused::confused::confused: Like cyclehead has said your going to have to flush the whole system.Disconnect the hydraulic lines and get that thick oil out.You should ask before you do something like this.

·
Registered
5,877 Posts
I can see how this would happen..

It's not like the SMT is a very well known Device.. and if it needs Fluid.. and it has a Clutch, put in 90 Gear Oil.. Or ATF.. I can see the Mistake .. but I would not Expect to put DOT4 into a trans System.. Most Toyota Dealers do not even know about these..

You might be Fubared.. so get the OIL out of the System with a Turky Baister, and Fill with Dot 4.. run a little and do it again.. about 4 Times.. or More

Do it untill it is VERY Clean.. you might have a Chance..

Good Luck

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks for your help, this may save me big bucks.

I can see how this would happen..

It's not like the SMT is a very well known Device.. and if it needs Fluid.. and it has a Clutch, put in 90 Gear Oil.. Or ATF.. I can see the Mistake .. but I would not Expect to put DOT4 into a trans System.. Most Toyota Dealers do not even know about these..

You might be Fubared.. so get the OIL out of the System with a Turky Baister, and Fill with Dot 4.. run a little and do it again.. about 4 Times.. or More

Do it untill it is VERY Clean.. you might have a Chance..

Good Luck
:eek:
I searched and searched for what to use, but I searched for "SMT FLUID" and that is where I went wrong.

Lesson learned. Flushing and refilling 4X as suggested. I will post the results.

Thanks to all that replied. You are great to help an SMT novice.

·
Registered
870 Posts

·
Registered
7,781 Posts
Somehow I don't think changing the reservoir fluid - even 4 times - is going to do the trick.
I hope I'm wrong, but I'd guess that the gear oil is going to stay put in the lowest part of the system. But I hope I'm wrong.

·
Registered
4,144 Posts
The little pump runs wide open - when it's running. I presume the system just cycles fluid and returns excess to the reservior through a blow-off valve(?). If it's a low volume system I suppose the heavy lube could sit in a low spot. I'm not sure how much volume the shift actuators and clutch actuator use. The other possibility would be an emulsion, if the gear lube froths up with the SMT fluid and results in a nasty goo. My radiator was full of that when I got a cylinder head leak and oil got mixed with the antifreeze. It would be scary to run any solvent through the system to try and chase an emulsion out of the system.

Best idea might be to buy a few quarts of DOT4, flush the system a few dozen times using the cheap stuff. Then final flush with expensive SMT fluid - if you don't want to roll with DOT4.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts