MR2 SpyderChat banner

21 - 40 of 78 Posts
G

·
0 Posts
Originally posted by CeeDapp
I do believe that one may think the stick is faster due to the fact that there is more going on mentally throughout the shift process.
Yup man, that's probably all it is. 1 electronic switch is as fast as the other electronic switch. I used to think what some people think though, that the buttons were a bit slower. But it's really just a mental thing.
When something is as quick and simple as pushing a button to up/downshift, the time gap seems to stretch longer only in our minds. I mean I know what some of you guys are sayin, I feel it too when I'm driving.. but it's gotta be a mind thing.

G

·
0 Posts
Originally posted by oilfield_trash
Getting a turbo is a lot more of an ordeal because of special considerations for the SMT ECU.
What are these?? I'm not really too up to par about the requirements for turboing an SMT? I heard from earlier threads that making sure you had a recirculating blow off valve, was about all you needed for keeping the SMT ECU working properly. and probably just upgrade flywheel and clutch...
Am I wrong? Am I right? :?:

·
Registered
4,337 Posts
You have to make sure you have to get the right clutch/flywheel combo. If they don't have the same coefficient of friction. Or else the ECU will be confused. Jay at Hass also said something about adjusting the hydraulic fork assembly to fine tune the setup. Not the end of the world, but not nearly as simple as manual manuals.

·
Registered
4,282 Posts
The SMT shifts faster. All it takes is an eight to a quarter of an inch bump on the shifter to get it to work. The MT has to be moved into gear. But, because the computer protects the engine from over revving, if you are racing the engine into the upper revs, the MT is faster. Buttons on the SMT do feel slower, and the SMT Spyders without the upgraded ECU are a lot slower.

Originally posted by TriniDJboy+--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (TriniDJboy)</div>
<!--QuoteBegin-oilfield_trash
Getting a turbo is a lot more of an ordeal because of special considerations for the SMT ECU.
What are these?? I'm not really too up to par about the requirements for turboing an SMT? I heard from earlier threads that making sure you had a recirculating blow off valve, was about all you needed for keeping the SMT ECU working properly. and probably just upgrade flywheel and clutch...
Am I wrong? Am I right? :?:[/b]
It was MPH that mention this. But then he came back and said that the recirculating blow off valve causes problems with the SMT.

·
Registered
1,875 Posts
0-60 times repeatedly show that the 5spd MT is faster than the 5spd SMT.
The reason?

Well the SMT was designed for longevity, ease of use and efficiency. The SMT could easily smoke the MT if it were designed to do that, but Toyota, fearing a rash of warranty replacements, erred on the side of caution when designing the piece. And, like any other Toyota, they wanted the thing to run 200K with no significant issues.

Having driven an M3 SMT (yeah I know, bad comparison), I can say that this system is designed for pure performance, where the Spyder is not. There is a "slight" lag when shifting in the Spyder SMT. Though I will admit, the thing is extremely fun to drive.

What most people neglect is that the Spyder, whether in MT or SMT guise, is not a straight line performance machine. So, honestly, who cares if one is faster than the other - it comes down to type of driving you will do much and whether or not you want to be clutching on your own...or if you want the car to do it for you. :mrgreen:

·
Registered
3,829 Posts
You may as well let your Robot/SexSlave drive the car for you, if you're going to let electronics shift the gears for you.

·
Registered
4,282 Posts
Originally posted by BadSpyder
You may as well let your Robot/SexSlave drive the car for you, if you're going to let electronics shift the gears for you.
You are so bad.

G

·
0 Posts
hmmm.. I'm willing to say that when you're at RPMs around 3500+ (in operating range) The 6spd SMT (with new ECU) Up-Shifts around .4 or .5 seconds. That's what it 'feels' like to me at least. Now obviously if you're a skilled performance shifter, yes you can do it a bit quicker.

But honestly, I'm thinking about it for me. I have .4 or .5 seconds:

Off Gas / Clutch!
Shift! (with direction in mind)
Off Clutch / Gas!
Time Elapsed??

I think if I was really busting my ass. I might equal the .5 seconds. But I'm no racepro just a like a lot of other people out there. So if you ask me: the SMT 1/2 second shift is damn fast enough. :mrgreen:

Just thought I'd share:

[When in the operating range] Instantaneously Removing your foot from the pedal just a pinch before the upshift (just as if the normal clutching action would've been done) Then apply a decent or heavy push on the pedal after approx .2-.3 sec. It actually makes you attain a WAY quicker and "torqier" shift. That nice .5 shift. This is probably the way toyota intended for us to use the SMT. Work it with an "imaginary clutch pedal" in mind. A bit different than the SMGs, and Ferrari F1; where those systems MORE INSTANTLY apply the clutch no matter what the hell your doing with the gas pedal.

I just mention this about our car 'cause I know some people out there hold there foot on the gas all the way until they pull the stick... THEN they let off of it! Causing them to waste their time. AND THEN they hit the pedal late! Making the shift take around twice the time. :roll: AAAAAHHHHGHGHGH!!! sounds like myself in the early smt days. :oops:

·
Registered
46 Posts
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE </div>
[When in the operating range] Instantaneously Removing your foot from the pedal just a pinch before the upshift (just as if the normal clutching action would've been done) Then apply a decent or heavy push on the pedal after approx .2-.3 sec. It actually makes you attain a WAY quicker and "torqier" shift. That nice .5 shift. This is probably the way toyota intended for us to use the SMT. Work it with an "imaginary clutch pedal" in mind. A bit different than the SMGs, and Ferrari F1; where those systems MORE INSTANTLY apply the clutch no matter what the hell your doing with the gas pedal.[/b]
You're absolutely correct, here. I've found that it's faster and feels better to shift this way. My roommate can't understand why the ride seems smoother when I'm driving my 2002 SMT, and I'm sure it's because he doesn't lift his foot.

·
Registered
1,502 Posts
...and what would it take to make the SMT shift even faster? :twisted:

actually, i thought i read that the SMT ECU would have to be reconfigured. anyone figure that out?

G

·
0 Posts
Originally posted by deviantgirl
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE
[When in the operating range] Instantaneously Removing your foot from the pedal just a pinch before the upshift (just as if the normal clutching action would've been done) Then apply a decent or heavy push on the pedal after approx .2-.3 sec. It actually makes you attain a WAY quicker and "torqier" shift. That nice .5 shift. This is probably the way toyota intended for us to use the SMT. Work it with an "imaginary clutch pedal" in mind. A bit different than the SMGs, and Ferrari F1; where those systems MORE INSTANTLY apply the clutch no matter what the hell your doing with the gas pedal.
You're absolutely correct, here. I've found that it's faster and feels better to shift this way. My roommate can't understand why the ride seems smoother when I'm driving my 2002 SMT, and I'm sure it's because he doesn't lift his foot.[/b][/quote]

Of Course I'm 'Absolutely Correct!' It says "TriniDJboy" on the post right?!
hehe corny...

anyways Yes. For the SMT, Lifting your foot instantaneously BEFORE you shift is a MUST! the Book even says too! :roll: if anybody would read those poor things... When in the 3,500rpm+ operating range, Once you:
Lift
Shift
wait .2-.3sec (if your a good estimater like me
)
Gas (push reasonably deep in, at least 60%)
You get that Wicked .5-.6 second shift!!

just with my friend and his stop watch, (hahaha. I know, not that accurate of a method, but he was good!!)
I was getting anywhere from 6.5-6.7sec 0-60s with a slipping clutch.
Shifts for me (using the methods as explained above) usually ranged Within the strict limits of 6,500rpm - 6,700rpm. NO MORE!! NO LESS!! The miracle spots are somewhere in there, my smt at least.

For proper performance; You MUST work this tranny with the "Imaginary Clutch Pedal" in mind, unlike SMG, and F1 stick... None the less, it still is Super Sporty!!

G

·
0 Posts
actually you are mistaken. Formula car drivers lift off the pedal when they shift. Some cars do have an ignition interrupt that stumbles the engine when shifting to acheive the same thing.

·
Registered
579 Posts
I think he ment "F1 stick"... Like what ferrari provides (like SMT) in their sports cars.

G

·
0 Posts
Originally posted by MRob2
actually you are mistaken. Formula car drivers lift off the pedal when they shift. Some cars do have an ignition interrupt that stumbles the engine when shifting to acheive the same thing.

f1 drivers haven't lifted to shift in years..........there's an extrordinarily quick fuel cut to match the extraordinary quick gear change......

with the speeds that f1 gearboxes shift it would not be humanly possible to lift and get back on gas in the time allotted..........

kev

·
Registered
64 Posts
Originally posted by mkawada
...and what would it take to make the SMT shift even faster? :twisted:
I know this is quite late in the 'debate'... and not quite what you meant mkawada,

but has anyone noticed that you can make a two-cog downshift in the SMT (mine's an 04) - eg 4th -> 2nd by pushing a downshift button then the stick almost simultaneously (or vice versa). with a little practice you'll find you can bump down 2 or three cogs in one go if the revs are appropriate. I've occassionally found that the enforced sequential shift (ie ALWAYS 1 then 2 then 3 then 4 etc) to be a handicap with the SMT esp in city driving when you're surprised by some traffic scenario and have to brake hard and still get on the power quickly.

Someone else may have mentioned it, but I haven't seen it - so apologies if it's old news.

·
Registered
4,388 Posts
Pretty hard to steer in a surprise traffic situation if you are trying to hit the stick and the button on the wheel at the same time. Yet another reason that I don't understand the appeal of the SMT. Just learn how to drive a stick already...

·
Registered
643 Posts
if you are used to play video games (remember Winter Games, guys?) and if you are hard on the brakes, you can use the steering wheel button(s) to downshift three cogs.

getting two down without breaking is actually easier and faster than on a MT

·
Registered
579 Posts
I've occassionally found that the enforced sequential shift (ie ALWAYS 1 then 2 then 3 then 4 etc) to be a handicap with the SMT esp in city driving when you're surprised by some traffic scenario and have to brake hard and still get on the power quickly.
MMM.. imo.. kinda.. yes and no.. I definitely see your point, and that is the downside of the sequential design... all ways.. SEQUENTIAL. BUT... usually I just ride 1st gear up to about 3k, and click click click... or once when I'm at 3k on 3rd gear.. click click.. When trying to go for a more smooth drive like that... the buttons are great. :mrgreen:

21 - 40 of 78 Posts
About this Discussion
77 Replies
26 Participants
Cotton
MR2 SpyderChat
SpyderChat Forum is a community for Toyota MR2 Spyder Enthusiasts to discuss specs, reliability and more!
Full Forum Listing