·
Registered
579 Posts
at least 1 verbal beatdown is coming for that

·
Registered
64 Posts
Originally posted by silversprint
You can talk about this until cows fly but the bottom line is that the SMT in the MR2 sucks.
Ahh... I was wondering what the technical term for it would be. :?

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE </div>
The SMT is not a real sequential transmission and does not come close to performing like one.
If you ever drive a reall sequential in a BMW or Ferarri you will realize that they are worlds apart from the SMT.[/b]
... and there I was thinking that I had a Ferrari box and all... Thank you mr bottom line, that's really helpful.

So if we stop talking about the sucky not-a-real-SMT, do you think you'd be able to get back to pulling the wings off those insects over there in your corner next to the Porsches and Ferraris?

·
Registered
8,211 Posts
Well, I think I may have been a little harsh. But it annoys me when people try to make the SMT into something it isn't. Fun, it can be but a performance transmission it isn't. But I guess it all depends what your idea of fun or performance really is.

·
Registered
384 Posts
ok so i guess the answer to this is yes the SMT is fun, but not as fun as a MT. 8)

MT > SMT > AUTO > SUV
more fun <-----> less fun

see SMT people, you're still on the more fun half of the scale. so be happy.

·
Registered
1,502 Posts
Originally posted by foss
ok so i guess the answer to this is yes the SMT is fun, but not as fun as a MT. 8)

MT > SMT > AUTO > SUV

see SMT people, you're still on the more fun half of the scale. so be happy.
SUV? that's not a transmission type. we SMT owners are dead smack in the middle! i like my SMT though.

·
Registered
4,282 Posts
Originally posted by foss
ok so i guess the answer to this is yes the MT is fun, but not as fun as a SMT. 8)

SMT > MT > AUTO > SUV

see SMT people, you're still on the top of the fun scale. so be happy.
It all depends on individual definition of fun.

·
Registered
3,190 Posts
Take advice form the Belgians....always launch at 32 :mrgreen:

·
Registered
64 Posts
Originally posted by silversprint
Well, I think I may have been a little harsh.
Dude - just a bit heavy-handed. It's only a transmission we're discussing here.
I doubt any of us with SMT's would expect it to be a Ferrari/Porsche-level performance item.

But it annoys me when people try to make the SMT into something it isn't.[/b]
Well, I didn't hear anyone doing that just ppl trying to asess what it "is".
Fun, it can be but a performance transmission it isn't. But I guess it all depends what your idea of fun or performance really is.[/b]
Exactly! The thread started as a general question about what SMT's were like:: and clearly a lot of us are disappointed with it. (I'd have a MT any day - if I could get it! - they're not an option here in Aust.) But surely the car is great fun - and I'm having a ball in mine in spite of the obvious limits of the transmission.
I've been getting race tuition here and it's clear that the car demands a lot more skill than I yet have - the SMT is rarely in the way of a good line - the power and setup of the car , tyres etc seem more of an issue as I learn.
Anyway my 5c worth: the MR2 lives on the performance side of road cars but surely even this great little roadster is an entry level performance car if that. So I don't expect too much of any of it.
Well unless there's an SUV next to me at the lights :twisted:

·
Registered
64 Posts
Originally posted by justinfox
Stalled twice today in the SMT. How's that for fun?!
Oh yeah: peak experience... not quite as much fun as mine a month ago, when it started intermittelntly refusing to change out of the gear it was in, then grinding on shifts... fortunately I was close to the dealer and took it straight there. Replaced the ECU and all was back to it's "fun" self.

So I guess you'll be putting it in eBay real quick now?

·
Registered
4,282 Posts
Methinks he has a lemon.

G

·
0 Posts
Lemon? Looks like it. 5000km's in and I have rattles all over the cabin and SMT problems already.
Should not have sold my Integra Type-R!!! Should not have ordered all those perfomance goodies from Japan last week for my new MR2.
Hope the dealer can fix this mess of a car... it's a shame that if you have a problem with SMT you have to take it back to Toyota and not your favorite performance mechanic down the road.
A major downfall of the SMT for sure, especially out of warranty.

·
Registered
4,282 Posts
You brought your car used didn’t you? There’s was a reason why the prior owner dumped it.

·
Registered
4,282 Posts
Originally posted by justinfox
It was my little sisters car dude. No accidents ever, no problems EVER.
Sorry man for jumping to conclusions. I feel your pain and frustration.

G

·
0 Posts
i think your sis did a good sale... it is hard to miss all those spyder sounds inside the cabin

its all part of the fun, youll get used to it :)

·
Registered
120 Posts
I for one have never, ever, regretted having the Sequential transmission in my 2003 Spyder. The SMT always makes my Spyder a joy to drive. The extra gear would be more than difficult for me to do without as well. My Spyder is over 16 years old and I have not had any issues at all with the SMT. I have said before, in another post, that at 70 MPH the RPM is 595 less in my car than a manual five speed Spyder at the same speed. It is not like I have trouble driving a straight shift, I grew up riding motorcycles and have put a few hundred thousand miles on straight shift (manual) cars. I have driven a 5 speed manual Spyder before and it was a major let down, to say the very least, compared to my SMT Spyder. I felt like driving the manual Spyder took most of the fun and pleasure away from driving this wonderful go-cart of a car. People need to understand that the MR2 is not even close to being a race car. If "the need for speed" is all that other Spyder owners are interested in then it is my guess that those "want to be race car drivers" very well should have purchased a car with a few hundred more HP. It is my guess that the huge majority of the 5 speed MR2 Spyder Owners that are always casting/throwing stones, so to speak, at the owners of SMT MR2 Spyders are actually in a state of deep depression simply because they purchased a less expensive manual Spyder instead of the fully optioned and much more than pleasurable to drive SMT Spyder. It my hope that I have not over stated my case for the many plusses and merits of owning a MR2 SMT Spyder!

61 - 78 of 78 Posts
About this Discussion
77 Replies
26 Participants
Cotton
MR2 SpyderChat
SpyderChat Forum is a community for Toyota MR2 Spyder Enthusiasts to discuss specs, reliability and more!
Full Forum Listing