MR2 SpyderChat banner

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
265 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
On the dash, there is an SMT warning light that looks like a gear. Mine is staying on (red). I read hear about the need to flush and took the car into the dealer who did the flush for $300. Got in the car to drive home and the light came on again. Now the dealer is saying that there is a slight leak in the high-pressure system or the accumulator. They say it must be internal as they see no external leak.

Parts are no longer made and the few that are available are $$$$$$$$$ and that the engine has to come out to replace them. I've owned the car since new and it has 109k on the clock. I am at a loss. the car is in great shape otherwise and has been a joy to own.

Anyone else heard of this or have any other options?

·
Registered
860 Posts
Join the Facebook SMT group. Must have suffered from one problem or another. I have a 2005 smt but it is super low mileage and no problems yet. Good Luck

·
Registered
2001 MR2 Spyder
17 Posts
100-130k is typical SMT life unfortunately from what I have read. People typically do the manual transmission conversion (MR2-S SMT->MT Swap)

SMT is pretty cool, but nothing compares to your Mk.1 left leg...

By swapping to manual you become a guardian of a dying art. A purveyor of a craft born of necessity, but beloved for its spirit. You will travel with purpose regardless of your destination. Every corner an opportunity for the perfect downshift, every stop a new starting line. You'll find joy in those fleeting moments between ratios; the crescendo of RPM, the gentle click of the gate, the building inertia in your chest as the drivetrain becomes whole again. Be the master your machine.

·
Registered
1,442 Posts
It’s probably nothing serious but troubleshooting and finding parts can be a challenge. You can change out the fluid for about $6. Stay away from dealers unless you like to spend money. If you have a code, diagnosing may be simple. “Cycle times” will indicate the accumulator without need for a code and can also indicate other issues with the HPU.

·
Registered
265 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I'll be picking up the car Thursday. I should get the details of the codes and will post them.

·
Registered
265 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Your dealer (as all of them) is full of $hit. New accumulator is $125. HPU can be removed in 20 minutes. GSA can be removed in an hour. I have all the rubber seals to rebuild both units for $160.
GSA? What is that an abbreviation for, the Accumulator? With removal in such short times, it must not require removal of the engine to do this.

·
Registered
4,575 Posts
By swapping to manual you become a guardian of a dying art. A purveyor of a craft born of necessity, but beloved for its spirit. You will travel with purpose regardless of your destination. Every corner an opportunity for the perfect downshift, every stop a new starting line. You'll find joy in those fleeting moments between ratios; the crescendo of RPM, the gentle click of the gate, the building inertia in your chest as the drivetrain becomes whole again. Be the master your machine.
81419657-DF11-4D8B-8299-9C58444FE8B2_1_105_c.jpeg

·
Registered
836 Posts
I have yet to find a dealer who knows ANYTHING about these cars, aside from the fact that it IS a car.

The last one I stopped at, the manager asked me what it was, and I said "You tell me."

He couldn't name it at all, until one of the salesmen walked over and told him it was an MR2. It turns out the "manager" was somewhat familiar with the first gen, but knew literally nothing about second or third gen cars.

Dealers are mostly crooks and want to charge you predetermined "book hours" for any job, which means you're paying overlapping labor charges for a single job just because they have to touch neighboring parts.

Example: New water pump - in most cars you'll be paying separate labor charges to remove the timing belt/chain AND the pump itself. It is, in fact, a single job. Get far, far away from that dealer.

·
Registered
1,759 Posts
The GSA is the robot shifter. It has the three hydraulic cylinders that shift the car, and also the feedback sensors. The other main assembly, the HPU, provides hydraulic pressure.

If you wish to maintain this car, you will need to become the expert. The dealer shops know nothing about it, and I do not blame them particularly. The system is rather complex, and it is a one-off production: This is the only car that Toyota ever put it in, which had a short run that ended 15 years ago. The dealer techs are limited to repairs by the book, which means swapping the major components, which will soon be unavailable if not already. Many of the repairs are not difficult, but keep in mind that it will probably be on you to figure them out.

·
Registered
2001 MR2 Spyder
17 Posts
The SMT is not an automatic but in effect may seem that way. I still think it’s cooler than any regular manual or a true automatic.
I dropped the a-word or 'automatic' in jest rather in the literal sense...

Otherwise I am quite fond of the sequential manual transmission and agree it's definitely cool. Not only does it save weight, it eliminates many heavy components of a traditional hydraulic auto transmission like the torque converter and valve body. But at the end of the day if it fails, parts seem limited and overhauling might not be for everyone.

·
Registered
4,575 Posts
I wouldn't expect you automatic guys to really understand.
Pmsl here, I own a manual DD, I did my test on a manual. I have driven manuals consistently for almost 40 years, so your above quote is totally asinine. 😂😂😂

The PDK on my Boxster shifts faster than any manual. I can also use paddles, or push the selector to the lhs and use up and down to change.

I'm pretty sure horse and cart owners had the same derogatory comments for cars when they first appeared as you have for non manual boxes.

·
Registered
2001 MR2 Spyder
17 Posts
Pmsl here, I own a manual DD....
I'm gonna have to stop you right there. That was more bullshit that I could handle.

When I saw the 2006 Mercury Sable, I stopped reading honestly. But after that rather lengthy car history, I will say that is a rather impressive collection of vehicles. kudos

·
Registered
4,575 Posts
The difference is, I'm not bullshitting. I passed my test nearly 40 years ago and have driven a manual ever since, i just happen to also own a PDK Porsche alongside a DD manual. So at no point in my driving life have I been without a manual car. I was intending to buy a manual Porsche until I test drove the PDK which made the decision a no brainer.

Never heard of mercury sable, it is simply sable.

·
Registered
37 Posts
The difference is, I'm not bullshitting. I passed my test nearly 40 years ago and have driven a manual ever since, i just happen to also own a PDK Porsche alongside a DD manual. So at no point in my driving life have I been without a manual car. I was intending to buy a manual Porsche until I test drove the PDK which made the decision a no brainer.

Never heard of mercury sable, it is simply sable.
Don't have near that history, but in the 10(or so) years since I bought my first car every car I've owned has been a manual. Hope to keep that trend going, but given the inevitability of electric I'm not sure how much longer that'll last.

Now that the K swap is done every car I've owned has also had a Honda engine in it too..... Though that'll change shortly as I need a tow vehicle.

·
Registered
441 Posts
Whether you consider the SMT an assisted manual or the red-headed stepchild of a true automatic is like whether you see the glass half full or half empty. Either way, not many (any?) mechanics know how to fix that glass once it breaks.

Those PDK transmissions are a fun time, especially for competitive driving. The speed at which they shift is very impressive, and of course is thanks to the kind of engineering that went into early SMT cars. I personally still prefer 3 pedals just for the added smile factor of hitting the perfect downshift. As you get into truly high powered cars it is somewhat understandable that they make a move away from 3 pedals towards these forms of assisted manual or fully automatic gearboxes as missing a downshift coming into a corner means 1 less customer to buy their next overpriced, updated model.

·
Registered
4,575 Posts
Everything is overpriced, check out spyder prices in the UK. ;)

1 - 20 of 36 Posts