MR2 SpyderChat banner

21 - 36 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
265 Posts
Discussion Starter #21
Picked up the car and they “didn’t keep the code printout“. There was a hand written not by the tech that said “no visible leak at HPU leak internal“.

So, the hunt for a decently priced HPU with an accumulator begins! Checked with a friend that is with a large used parts company that sells to shops only and he has put in a flag for one. None available right now. Anybody that knows of one please let me know.

·
Registered
1,446 Posts
I wouldn’t trust anything they said especially since they said you would need to drop the engine. The code may have indicated the HPU but who knows...there’s not much to go on.

·
Registered
265 Posts
Discussion Starter #23
Can a Icarsoft II read the codes on our cars?

·
Registered
4,014 Posts
If you want to accept the dealer is giving you accurate advice, and assume the HPU has “an internal leak”, then there aren’t too many places that could happen. There are only four orings on the two solenoids that could leak “ internally”. And there’s the accumulator. You can replace all of these parts for about $140. Accumulator is available on eBay. I can send you the orings.

·
Registered
265 Posts
Discussion Starter #27
If you want to accept the dealer is giving you accurate advice, and assume the HPU has “an internal leak”, then there aren’t too many places that could happen. There are only four orings on the two solenoids that could leak “ internally”. And there’s the accumulator. You can replace all of these parts for about $140. Accumulator is available on eBay. I can send you the orings.
might be the route to go! Time to search eBay.

·
Registered
265 Posts
Discussion Starter #28
What is the search term you used to search Ebay for the accumulator? All I foun was a complete unit for 1400.

·
Registered
1,446 Posts
If your only problem is the red gear light and can still operate the car, then I would say it’s not the accumulator but possibly one of the pressure sensors. Could also be an intermittent pump relay or dying pump motor. Check for fluid flooding the motor. I suppose the solenoid o-rings could cause a low pressure situation but have only seen this speculated once as a possibility, but couldn’t hurt to replace them anyway.

·
Registered
2003 MR2 Spyder
123 Posts
What is the search term you used to search Ebay for the accumulator? All I foun was a complete unit for 1400.
Yeah, I looked on eBay too and found the $1400 one- for that price you could just buy a whole wrecked car with front-end damage and still have most all of the mechanical parts you'd ever need provided it was running well when wrecked and the drivetrain wasn't damaged when towed (provided you have a storage space for a whole car).

·
Registered
265 Posts
Discussion Starter #33
If your only problem is the red gear light and can still operate the car, then I would say it’s not the accumulator but possibly one of the pressure sensors. Could also be an intermittent pump relay or dying pump motor. Check for fluid flooding the motor. I suppose the solenoid o-rings could cause a low pressure situation but have only seen this speculated once as a possibility, but couldn’t hurt to replace them anyway.

The red light is starting on but the pump is running for longer periods of time and more frequently. Shifting is a bit more abrupt as well.

·
Registered
1,446 Posts
Well that kind of sounds like either an internal leak or pressure sensor but specific “cycle times” would be more meaningful. Search this up for reference:
Hpu/gsa-state of the units
It might just be the solenoid o-rings after all. That would be great to confirm this to add to the data.

·
Registered
265 Posts
Discussion Starter #35
I’ll try to get the run pause run times tomorrow.

Reactions: suoiruc

·
Registered
1,446 Posts
Make sure your battery is good and fully charged. Sometimes I’ll hook up a battery charger...12 amp works well, while testing. It’s not necessary but the pump will run the battery down and at some point may affect “cycling times”.

21 - 36 of 36 Posts