MR2 SpyderChat banner

61 - 72 of 72 Posts

·
Registered
282 Posts
Discussion Starter #63
Well, can’t get the quick connection to release and unscrewing the fitting isn’t working. Can’t do it without rounding the fitting. Arrgh!

·
Registered
2003 MR2 Spyder
148 Posts
Line tool is available through O’Riliey’s for 5.99. Having to work with the gold line as it is quite rusty around the coupling. Soaking in Creep and PB Blaster.
I had in my notes (already sold my SMT car) to use a tool similar to this one to move the plastic ring.

Is the O'Rielly tool for $5.99 similar to the one rande posted about? Is that to rent it or to buy? What did you end up using to try to get the connector off?

·
Registered
282 Posts
Discussion Starter #65
Heat cyc
Is the O'Rielly tool for $5.99 similar to the one rande posted about? Is that to rent it or to buy? What did you end up using to try to get the connector off?
It is the same tool just a different manufacturer. The “rental” is no longer available.

I was able to get the blue and red lines released with the tool and just a bit of wiggling. The gold is the one I having issues with. I’ve heat cycled the fitting below the connector with a heat gun trying to get it to break loose without rounding the flats but have not had any luck. The connector won’t release and the white collar is up all the way into the female side of the connector. Any suggestions are welcome.

·
Registered
4,077 Posts
Hoping you have some flats left to grab - try a pair of German “ knipex “ pliers. They will grab without rounding the flats! If it doesn’t work you will still have a very useful tool.

KNIPEX Tools 10" PLIER Wrench (KNT-8603250) 8603-10 Plier Wrench 86 03 250-46mm, 1-3/4 In - Psa Discs - Amazon.com
Did you try tapping the flats with a square ended punch and hammer? That seems to help break the threads loose. I think it’s a tapered thread like a pipe thread.

·
Registered
282 Posts
Discussion Starter #67
Cyclehead. The flats are still good but I am not sure that tool will get between the other connectors. Same for getting the punch placed correctly. Will have to try

·
Registered
282 Posts
Discussion Starter #69
Ordered the Knipex tool and will see what happens.........

·
Registered
282 Posts
Discussion Starter #70
Can’t get any of the three fittings to unscrew. Next option is to apply hih heat to the threads hat are exposed. I am concerned that this might melt The plastic collar or melt the o rings.

·
Registered
282 Posts
Discussion Starter #72
61 - 72 of 72 Posts