MR2 SpyderChat banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
142 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a question as to over the last year, I just sent my computer out for repair and it came out fine,aslo replaced tcu, and all the clutch,GSA and select sensors and did throttle mod, all transsyncros rings, HPU is only part have not bought, but seems to cycle and be fine.
I wonder if there is a certain sensor on the smt that reads the rpms and is misreading my my GSA, or some thing that has to do with the revolutions , my car does this ....if i come to a comeplete stop in the am backing out of the drive with out a slight roll it will not find first, I have to make sure it is rolling ever so slightly then it finds it fine, then if I coast under a certain amount of speed in second, forth or reverse it will loose gear and make a metalic grind, ouch, unless my foot is on the throttle.

Why is it only the even gears and reverse? of at lower unacccelerated driving?

Nick

·
Registered
4,011 Posts
...sensor on the smt that reads the rpms and is misreading my my GSA, or some thing that has to do with the revolutions ...
Maybe the transmission speed sensor, on the forward side of the transmission just below the overflow plug? I just changed my trans fluid this weekend and cleaned that sensor. It was working fine, but did have a few metal chips stuck to it.

·
Registered
5,832 Posts
I still do not think you have an SMT Problem.. I think you have a Shifting Fork/Internal Linkage Cage Problem in your Transmission..

SOME transmissions will not be able to get into gear unless SOMETHING is moving.. even a little bit. I think that is whats happning to yours.. but yours is a little worse than normal..

Yes I know you've had it rebuilt..

All the Electronics and sensors check out good.. and they are easier to check then internal trans parts.. as it's hard to see if anthing is 'Tweeked' inside a shift cage.. but if it's broken.. that is easier to see.. and I think that is what happened during your rebuild.. the 'Tweeked' parts were missed, and only the Synchros and bearings were checked/changed..

Find another SMT trans, and swap it in.. think your problem will go away..

Cap

·
Registered
4,011 Posts
On my MGB, it would occasionally do this. It would not go into first gear at a stop. The fix was to pull the shifter back into second gear, then forward into first gear. I always thought it was due to the straight-cut gears (on 1st gear only) failing to align. MR2 though has helical cut and synchros on all forward gears...so listen to Cap.

·
Registered
150 Posts
I have a question as to over the last year, I just sent my computer out for repair and it came out fine,aslo replaced tcu, and all the clutch,GSA and select sensors and did throttle mod, all transsyncros rings, HPU is only part have not bought, but seems to cycle and be fine.
I wonder if there is a certain sensor on the smt that reads the rpms and is misreading my my GSA, or some thing that has to do with the revolutions , my car does this ....if i come to a comeplete stop in the am backing out of the drive with out a slight roll it will not find first, I have to make sure it is rolling ever so slightly then it finds it fine, then if I coast under a certain amount of speed in second, forth or reverse it will loose gear and make a metalic grind, ouch, unless my foot is on the throttle.

Why is it only the even gears and reverse? of at lower unacccelerated driving?

Nick
Just curiosity, how much did you spend for all those work? did you replaced clutch at toyota dealer? thank you.

Eric

·
Registered
5,832 Posts
I always thought it was due to the straight-cut gears (on 1st gear only) failing to align. MR2 though has helical cut and synchros on all forward gears....
The End of the Helix comes to a point, and the Straight cut gears do not. This Point is where the 'Other Part' to either advance or retard by the 1/2 tooth nessasary to get it to allign and go into gear.. So it SHOULD not be an Issue on the Spyder Trans.. But his SMT has been a problem child from the Get Go..

One other thing to check.. Does the Clutch Disengauge all the Way to cause the Input Shaft to Stop?.. If the Clutch has ANY drag on it, the Input Speed Sensor will see the Shaft not Stop, and the Brains will not let it go into gear..

But that would only be rev 1st problem.. that would not explain the Even/Odd gear Select Problem..

Cap

·
Registered
142 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
my reply

The clutch and syncro work was done by a local guy all at around $2,800.

after Caps reply pretty sure it should maybe go back to him, and will relay Caps message, I really wish I would have been able to post a video here on sc, because another thing it does is, with the car parked and ignition on, the gsa will keep popping in and out about every 12 to 18 seconds.

·
Registered
1,029 Posts
Listen to Cap. May be a shorting input revolution sensor though. A periodic short would send a false movement reading when it is still (would explain not being a able to hit first while still, and refusing to settle in true neutral). At this time, though, it would be just a shot in the dark without being able to see your car first hand.

A few quick questions; when you downshift into first and come to a complete stop does it creep forward when you let off the brake on a level surface? Does the GSA keep working in and out while still in first? Have you witnessed toyota doing a full relearn to the car? This involves one part that takes place in the car without it moving that takes about 2 minutes to do, followed by a drive forward (they have to back into the garage before the relearn).

·
Registered
142 Posts
Discussion Starter #9 (Edited)
gears

Does the smt have straight cut or helix gears? The other thing I would like to know is what is the part number for the input shaft sensor and the location, so i can confirm replacment.
Of , I think it was by the trans shop but will confirm.

·
Registered
1,003 Posts
1. listen to CAP he is the man

2. input shaft turbine sensor (trust me this $86 dollar part(i work there so thats cost) can cause all kinds of issues.

3. i have some extra smt parts if you need a shift mechanism gsa ect only thing i dont have is a HPU!

4. convert it to manual imo, my car was a lemon too until i just said screw the SMT and went true manual, its how its supposed to be.......for $ 2800 we would of had money left over :(

not the only solution just my $.02

rburton

·
Registered
142 Posts
Discussion Starter #11 (Edited)
what is this part #

Ok here is where I am going to put my efforts on my SMT, The guy Mike, who did the entire Trans rebuild confirmed that everything inside the internal transmission was rebuilt and within the shift cage as well, the input revolution sensor has not been replaced on this car out of the godzillion parts that have, this is part 89413-17010, and for $100 bucks I am taking a shot in the dark and giong to replace and get on my knees and pray here, for two years of mystery to come to an end.

Nick

·
Registered
10 Posts
Ok here is where I am going to put my efforts on my SMT, The guy Mike, who did the entire Trans rebuild confirmed that everything inside the internal transmission was rebuilt and within the shift cage as well, the input revolution sensor has not been replaced on this car out of the godzillion parts that have, this is part 89413-17010, and for $100 bucks I am taking a shot in the dark and giong to replace and get on my knees and pray here, for two years of mystery to come to an end.

Nick
So, may I know whether the problem solved after replacing the speed sensor?

·
Registered
150 Posts

Nick
Thank you so much for the info.

Eric

1 - 14 of 14 Posts