1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
501 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
did u guy go with the OEM clutch or aftermarket.
did SMT work well with aftermarket clutch ?
Thx guy

·
Registered
501 Posts
SMT can use some aftermarket clutches but unless you are going for decent power increase (think turbo) a lot of people on here will say to just replace with another oem one.
I have this one: http://www.monkeywrenchracing.com/product_info.php?cPath=43_67_109&products_id=1265
It works quite well on my SMT and is lighter than a oem clutch, but i don't know if that would improve the SMT response but I only went for this one as it can handle slightly more torque ( planned on modifying the car with stage 1 cams and H/I/E ) and it was a lot cheaper than a oem one from Toyota.

·
Registered
1,029 Posts
KIWI, did you notice extra 'flutter' while cruising? I did the lightened flywheel/oem clutch and noticed when the clutch caught and released alot more.

·
Registered
501 Posts
can't say i have, the only thing i noticed was the SMT was alot more responsive and precise on the shifting perhaps that exedy clutch i used instead of an oem one stopped me from having to many issues
on a side note i got a custom crank shaft pulley made 2 weeks ago, it's aluminium alloy instead of what ever the stock one was and i kept a harmonic balancer on it after some of the horror stories i heard its just under 2 lbs lighter than stock and god it made a difference i had my mate riding shotgun with a stopwatch and the cars average upshift time is 0.3 seconds! it only shifts like that in WOT didn't bother testing it driving normal but it wasn't as quick

·
Registered
1,029 Posts
You modded the APS yet? That was the biggest shift time saver I did. Never stopwatched mine, so I can't tell you exactky how fast it shifts, but I'm pretty sure I'm at the max of the gsu operation speed.

·
Registered
501 Posts
That mod to the aps is that the same as little rocket's mod to the throttle body?
i dunno if i've maxed out the gsa yet but 0.3 second shift is plenty fast enough for me, but shifting at those sort of speeds tells me reliability has gone out the window. Not like i care the moment this motor or SMT box goes, im gonna replace them with a 2GR-FE and 6sp box

·
Registered
1,029 Posts
That mod to the aps is that the same as little rocket's mod to the throttle body?
i dunno if i've maxed out the gsa yet but 0.3 second shift is plenty fast enough for me, but shifting at those sort of speeds tells me reliability has gone out the window. Not like i care the moment this motor or SMT box goes, im gonna replace them with a 2GR-FE and 6sp box
same mod.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts