MR2 SpyderChat banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well guys, I hate to say it, but I've gone from my beloved spyder I've had the past few years to a V6
powered Mk2. I do miss the raw, no non-sense, feel of the spyder along with the superb handling, but I must say I love the new car. I had no intentions of getting rid of my, spyder, and was going to turbo charge my 1-zz this coming month, but the guy really wanted my car and negotiated a good deal. My spyder was a daily driver which has it's pros and cons as we all know, however, the v6 car is more liveable for myself. It drives and rides very smooth and pulls hard, and is a little more "civilized" for everyday driving. Just enough power for the street to have fun ,yet, well behaved when you need it to be. It handles decent, but obviously not like a, spyder. The new owner of my old spyder will be taking it to another level and swapping a 2gr into it. He may show up on this forum at some point. Hopefully he does so we can see.

I'd like to thank this forum for all the knowledge I've gained about the, spyder, over the last 4 years or so. It's definitely one of the few cars I'll always have tremendous respect for.

Here's my old solar yellow. Sure will miss it. I only had the top on it for a few months. :-(

Here's the Mk2. It's a 3vz-fe engine. Using an e-153 tranny, ACT heavy duty clutch, and new flywheel. The speedometer actually works properly too. It has kakimoto exhaust. Sounds so good. Not loud at all. Just a nice growl a little louder than a stock 350z. The outside of the car just needs a little love, which i already have plans for.

·
Registered
578 Posts
Until a few years ago, I didn't even know that there was such a thing as a Mk2.
I still know next to nothing about them, but have read that the "snap oversteer" is vicious.
A MkII was my second choice, after the Spyder, and I looked into this a bit.
If what I read is correct, this is because the rear suspension caused the wheel to toe in slightly under compression. Release the compression, the toe-in goes away and the back comes around.
There are two known fixes
1) don't lift off in corners.
2) move the forward mounting point of one of the rear suspension members outboard a little bit. It's been a while and I'm vague on the specifics, but there are how-to's in the obvious places.

#2 is apparently a popular mod in the MkII world, somewhat akin to de-catting a spyder. In later model years, Toyota made the change themselves, and they came that way from the factory.

·
Registered
2,575 Posts
Snap oversteer is what inexperienced drivers use to dismiss their lack of skill- I've driven plenty of MKII's in anger, ranging from stock to big turbo to my brother's V6 swap, and I don't find them to be any less stable than any other mid-engined car.

That said, I think the V6 is the best possible option for the MKII- they sound excellent, lose weight, and the difference in torque curves is simply incredible.

·
Super Moderator
3,303 Posts
Nice choice! I recently joined the mk2 club as well, I'm doing 2.3 turbo build though. I wanted something with a bit more oomph hahahh.

·
Registered
1,165 Posts
Every car on the road is dangerous in the hands of people who feel that banmepleasebanmepleasebanmepleasebanmepleaseing text messaging can't wait.

·
Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks for the suggestions. I did read about the snap oversteer from a few different sources when I was researching about mk2's. Apparently toyota made adjustments to the suspension in the 93 or 94 & up models to prevent this from happening. The previous owner did warn me about it too, and said to stay on it in corners. I'm not to worried about it for now. I'm taking it easy since i'm still getting used to the power and size of this car after driving my Spyder for 5 years. The power band with this car feels smooth and consistent through out the rev range. It's a joy to drive!

·
Registered
754 Posts
Congrats on the new car.

I'll be starting an E30 M3 clone soon enough. I'll be going with the SR20DET black top conversion on mine. I'll be keeping my Spyder though.

·
Registered
2,575 Posts
Thanks for the suggestions. I did read about the snap oversteer from a few different sources when I was researching about mk2's. Apparently toyota made adjustments to the suspension in the 93 or 94 & up models to prevent this from happening. The previous owner did warn me about it too, and said to stay on it in corners. I'm not to worried about it for now. I'm taking it easy since i'm still getting used to the power and size of this car after driving my Spyder for 5 years. The power band with this car feels smooth and consistent through out the rev range. It's a joy to drive!
The MKII MR2 suffered from a similar "issue" as the AP1 S2000. They changed the AP2 geometry enough to correct the problem and make the car easier to drive at the limit. The AP1 is still the faster car if you are able to find that limit though.

My gripe with the "Snap Oversteer" phrase is that people blame the car for their mistakes. Enough people have done dumb things and mangled enough MKII's that it's blown far, far out of proportion. The car still behaves like a Mid-engine car- your "point of no return" still comes quicker. Your "pendulum effect" happens more drastically. The car is not waiting to kill you as you pass through every corner though, like people make it out to be.

·
Registered
2,575 Posts
do you have any numbers to back this statement? because the f22 runs circles around the f20
Just regurgitating what Nick Barbato told us at Solo Nationals last year. Also, I was under the impression that the difference in acceleration between the generations was more a function of the shorter gearing in the later cars.

·
Registered
365 Posts
very nice congrats, dont mind asking what kind of deal did you work out for the trade?so guessing you traded with the hardtop and aftermarket parts etc? i must admit i had a yellow spyder and i sure miss it very much i personally would of not traded but to each and its own congrats as long as you are happy

·
Registered
103 Posts
In five years of driving, the '93 only lost it once, in a hard curve on a wet road in a light rain....wasn't the car, it was the loss of traction....off the power for just a second, she straightened up a bit, then back on the power and finish the curve....no problem.

The main reason I changed to the Spyder and didn't rebuild, were the T-Tops. I could never get the them to totally seal; I'd get close, but three times recently, on long trips, I was in a light continuous rain...drip, drip, drip....drove me nuts. If it wasn't my main auto it wouldn't be an issue, but...

Otherwise, she'd be an updated NA to a turbo, full suspension and brake rebuild...her body was perfect.

Happy driving!

·
Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
very nice congrats, dont mind asking what kind of deal did you work out for the trade?so guessing you traded with the hardtop and aftermarket parts etc? i must admit i had a yellow spyder and i sure miss it very much i personally would of not traded but to each and its own congrats as long as you are happy
Thanks. Yeah I left all the stuff I had installed on the car on, then gave him my el'creation front bumper, c-one side vents,abflug eye brows, and a massive radiator I never used in addition to what wax already on the car. I initially wanted cash on top, but once we met and checked each others car out we concluded it was
an even trade. My interior needed some work and the car had some road rash from a few fender benders along with a misfire. The car I have now has less miles than my Spyder as well as the 3vz having only 70k on it. He also put in a new console, new carpets and mats, and t-top shades. Not to mention the labor of the swap was considered and the fully functioning gauge cluster in my car now which is hard to do with these swaps. He also gave put springs & sways on the car and gave me a truck load of oem parts. I really do miss my Spyder some days, but I'm in love with this car.

·
Registered
490 Posts
Thanks. Yeah I left all the stuff I had installed on the car on, then gave him my el'creation front bumper, c-one side vents,abflug eye brows, and a massive radiator I never used in addition to what wax already on the car. I initially wanted cash on top, but once we met and checked each others car out we concluded it was
an even trade. My interior needed some work and the car had some road rash from a few fender benders along with a misfire. The car I have now has less miles than my Spyder as well as the 3vz having only 70k on it. He also put in a new console, new carpets and mats, and t-top shades. Not to mention the labor of the swap was considered and the fully functioning gauge cluster in my car now which is hard to do with these swaps. He also gave put springs & sways on the car and gave me a truck load of oem parts. I really do miss my Spyder some days, but I'm in love with this car.
Just for clarification, getting the gauge cluster functioning is ridiculously easy. Everything works except the tach, and a lot of people think you need to fool around with resistors or a tach adapter, but a tach module from a Camry V6 will drop right into the MKII cluster. It's 3 or 4 screws, I don't remember. I have 2 1MZ powered MKII's, one of them supercharged.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts