MR2 SpyderChat banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1,895 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm trying to solve a minor issue with my soft top. It's a Robbins Top, cloth top that I installed myself a while back. Ever since installing it, my top catches on the backside of the lateral bar (back of the latch) when raising or lowering the top. The spot that catches is the cloth just above the rear glass. It's not a major issue, but I want to prevent that spot from wearing.

So I took some photos of what I think may be causing the problem. If you have a OEM top, or one that is in perfect working order, please take a look at yours and compare it to what I have. This might tell me what the issue is.

#1 is my top as is. Pay close attention to the bow that I've outlined. This is where it rests with the top up and latched.

#2, I have pushed the same bow back so it is closer to the rear glass. Let me know if your top looks like this.

And finally I have this unknown elastic loop sewn into the top. It's just hanging free (I've removed the cover to show it.) I couldn't find anything in the BGB instructions that mention it. Any clues?

·
Registered
6,289 Posts
Sammy, the "bar" location on my top is the same as in pic 1. The elastic strap is hidden, so I can't help you there.

·
Registered
1,895 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Nothing other than the metal below the latch and the latch itself. I just put some anti-friction tape on it, that helped. I still don't like that it touches at all. I don't recall my factory vinyl top doing that. It seems to be hit or miss for tops doing it.

·
Registered
2,676 Posts
After I installed my Hard Dog roll bar, mine started doing the same thing. I just assumed it was positioning of the latch (as it is slightly adjustable where it mounts on the HD bar)

I have yet to really look into it though...

·
Registered
6,289 Posts
Nothing other than the metal below the latch and the latch itself. I just put some anti-friction tape on it, that helped. I still don't like that it touches at all. I don't recall my factory vinyl top doing that. It seems to be hit or miss for tops doing it.
After I posted, I looked again, and my top(the original, as far as I know) hits the latch and has a tiny bit of wear. I'm going to be careful lowering and raising the top from now on.

·
Registered
1,171 Posts
whatever you do. if your top is coming up crooked. dont do it fast. i did and my rear window imploded! :eek:

that spring shown wasnt attached on one side and that sleeve is empty on mine too

1 - 8 of 8 Posts