MR2 SpyderChat banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
654 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just thinking because today in 4° my gearbox seemed to work better than when it was way below 0°. Can't drive away but could change gear for a longer period before the red light came on.

Can't find where I read about the components of the SMT-fluid. Someone here wrote about some additive in form of some oil. Just thinking that maybe that additive in original SMT-fluid is a must for the fluid to work optimal in cold weather? Put a small amount of some lubricant oil in the reservoir tank together with the DOT4 maybe?

·
Registered
4,120 Posts
I cant find the thread and I no virtually nothing about the SMT but hopefully one of the SMT guys will chime in. But if I remember correctly I think it takes a special fluid from Toyota. Don't take me for my word on that but I would hate someone screwing there car up.

·
Registered
4,014 Posts
Just a thought - perhaps it's not the SMT shifter that's slow. It could be the gearbox gear lube is too thick. I remember trying to shift my hotrod Muncie gearbox on cold mornings. It was like pushing through cold molasses.

For info on SMT fluid - search Castrol RR363, Rolls Royce, and Citroen.

From Plebian (earlier post):
" ...Rolls Royce Hydraulic Fluid DESCRIPTION...Castrol RR363 Central System Hydraulic Fluid is a conventional synthetic brake fluid blended with castor for added lubricity. It is fully approved by Rolls Royce for use in their hydraulic systems fitted to earlier models. The use of this fluid was phased out in about 1980, vehicles using this fluid have a metal reservoir. It is also suitable for use in place of Castrol LHS2 in pre-1966 Citroen models fitted with a black reservoir."

The Rolls Royce forums talk about adding castor oil to DOT4. Here's some chatter I cut from various sites:

"....According to the 'experts' on the Australian RR website you should use something called 'propoxylated ethylated castor oil rather than the BP or edible stuff due to it staying miscible with the DOT4 for longer - allegedly. I couldn't say....The percentage of castor oil depends on ambient temperatures the car experiences. In any part of the world where the temperature dips below 5C that should not exceed 10%. There is little advantage to using more unless you already change the fluid twice per year: Before and after Winter....NB: The fluid should be changed at least EVERY 2 years. More often in humid climates as it is strongly hygroscopic."

1 - 4 of 4 Posts