MR2 SpyderChat banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
2,544 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I bought the Che LED DRL's a few months ago and never took the initiative to install them- the same applies to the LPX front lip, so here you go:

LED DRL's- I wired these directly to the DRL's- they're low voltage system, so I didn't fuse the link- I spliced into the + of the DRL plug and ran the black wire to ground- piece of cake, actually. I did it exclusively for more visibility, not to look cool B)
They are mounted with the 3M double sided tape- they are really solidly on there- I didn't even have to remove the front bumper:

The last piece is a shifter surround that started out as the aluminum TRD piece. The aluminum didn't go well with the rest of my interior, so I sent it to Colorado as my brother knows someone that does hydrocoating out there- he paid for it for my birthday a few months ago. I had it finished in matte finish- I actually like it this way:

The rugs really need a good cleaning.

Regarding the LPX front lip, it was the black fiberglass, and I paid $189 shipped from Taiwan. It was well finished and pre-drilled, so all you need to do is unbolt all the lower bumper 10 mm screws/hexbolts, hold the LPX lip up, and rebolt (no 3M tape needed). The fitment is excellent. I originally wanted this in CF, but it's not available, but I think it looks good as is.

The Che lights don't look really bright in the pics, but they are, and like I said, I'm trying to increase visibility. I'm going to see about getting a second set of the lights for my bike (Honda ST1100)- I'll mount them under the mirrors:

All opinions are welcome, even if you think it's high carb (rice)

·
Registered
712 Posts
The DRLs look good, not overdone where it's considered 'ricey' IMO. The LPX lip is a nice addition esp on that 03-05 bumper. Always thought it needed some sharper lines. I still think the sides could use some skirts though, something similar to the front.

·
Registered
2,544 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
The LPX lip simply bolts on- take off all the hardware under the bumper, hold the lip up to it, install the middle bolt to hold it in place, install the other hardware, and you're done- I think it took me 15 minutes and I was taking my time. All the drilled holes matched the bumper holes without a problem.

·
Registered
1,115 Posts

·
Registered
2,544 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I got the lights from the link on the Commercial Sales link for them on SC:

http://spyderchat.com/forums/showth...ng-Light-Conversion-Kit-39.99-Free-S-H-by-CHE

They were $39.95 shipped. I like how they came out as well. I simply connected them to the existing DRL plug in harness at the headlight. I unplugged it, checked for the + lead, spliced the wire, and then attached the black wire to ground. I'm no electrical expert, so if I can do this, then anyone can. From start to finish and taking my time, 1 hr. I used 3M tape which has a very strong bond.

·
Registered
977 Posts
wow that lip looks awesome!! no chance it will fit on a pre 03 front bumper, its not flat in the bottom like the facelift bumper?

·
Registered
2,544 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
To the questions as above:

The shifter surround is the original TRD piece in aluminum, but hydrocoated. I was lucky to find it on eBay quite a while back, as they aren't made anymore- it was actually in the new packaging when I bought it. As far as I know, it's no longer made.

Also, the front lip doesn't fit the pre-03 Spyders- LPX was making a lip specific for these cars- I didn't realize he was on a temporary hold in producing them. He is an upright seller though.

It's getting more difficult to get aftermarket parts for these cars, isn't it?

·
Registered
1,283 Posts
I bought the Che LED DRL's a few months ago and never took the initiative to install them- the same applies to the LPX front lip, so here you go:

LED DRL's- I wired these directly to the DRL's- they're low voltage system, so I didn't fuse the link- I spliced into the + of the DRL plug and ran the black wire to ground- piece of cake, actually. I did it exclusively for more visibility, not to look cool B)
They are mounted with the 3M double sided tape- they are really solidly on there- I didn't even have to remove the front bumper:

The last piece is a shifter surround that started out as the aluminum TRD piece. The aluminum didn't go well with the rest of my interior, so I sent it to Colorado as my brother knows someone that does hydrocoating out there- he paid for it for my birthday a few months ago. I had it finished in matte finish- I actually like it this way:

The rugs really need a good cleaning.

Regarding the LPX front lip, it was the black fiberglass, and I paid $189 shipped from Taiwan. It was well finished and pre-drilled, so all you need to do is unbolt all the lower bumper 10 mm screws/hexbolts, hold the LPX lip up, and rebolt (no 3M tape needed). The fitment is excellent. I originally wanted this in CF, but it's not available, but I think it looks good as is.

The Che lights don't look really bright in the pics, but they are, and like I said, I'm trying to increase visibility. I'm going to see about getting a second set of the lights for my bike (Honda ST1100)- I'll mount them under the mirrors:

All opinions are welcome, even if you think it's high carb (rice)
Excellent Post Bob :icon_thumright:

·
Registered
68 Posts
The double-side tape sounds better than screwing it on, as your mounting point looks like it's the best location, but covers the tow hook area. You can always re-tape it if need be.

·
Registered
2,544 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
The double-side tape sounds better than screwing it on, as your mounting point looks like it's the best location, but covers the tow hook area. You can always re-tape it if need be.
Agreed, plus the 3M tape bond is really secure. I even put a set of the LEDs on my MC:

If you can't see this coming down the road, then you're just blind!

·
Registered
236 Posts
I think the lip itself looks good but it doesn't flow right to me with the car, do to the height of the car itself, could be the angle of the pics though.

·
Registered
852 Posts

I like the Che add on DRLs and plan on getting them for my 03. Is there a difference in the DRL's in the stock DRLs in a 00-02 and an 03 and above? I have an 01 and recently bought an 03 to replace it. The DRL's in the 03 seem really dim in comparison to the 01's.

·
Registered
2,544 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
I think the post facelift cars DRLs are kind of dull, in fact that's why I added Che's lights (as I had mentioned, I'm looking for more visibility, not for looks, but that being said, I think it does look good though). I'm away from home and I'm currently renting a Corolla, and the DRLs on the rental are a lot brighter than they are on the Spyder.

Regarding the lip and ride height, I'm on a stock suspension, so I guess it could look better if my car was lowered, but I'm happy with how it rides and don't plan on lowering the car.

Like any other mods we've seen on SC or SW, some are well received, some not as much.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.