MR2 SpyderChat banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Any idea's for way's to give my Spyder a throatier sound? I have always liked the sound of the old Healy's. Thanks for the response. PATRIOT

·
Super Moderator
3,303 Posts
aftermarket intake, cams, exhaust.

·
Registered
16,748 Posts
Gut the precats, add Team Moon exhaust, add Injen cold air intake.

·
Registered
1,115 Posts
lots of cigarettes.

·
Banned
415 Posts
I swear all I did was gut precat and install custom intake, and it sounds like it's got active exhaust.
30% throttle, silent as church.
Any deeper, I get this growl all the way to 5000rpm, when the sound is overwhelmed by the engine's rasp.

·
Registered
17,055 Posts
First step to replicate a Healey's exhaust note is to climb under the car with a 3 pound maul and flatten as much of the exhaust pipe as you can. It doesn't have to be flattened wall to wall but enough to provide a restriction.

The next step is to go to work on the muffler. Flatten as much of the muffler as possible and if you can, kink the bead at either end of the muffler enough that it opens slightly.

Last step is to carefully and methodically apply HCl to the muffler liberally. Do not get that stuff on you as it burns like hell. If you can't get HCl take a whiz on the muffler periodically until a nice rusty crust forms on the outer shell.

That should do it.

·
Registered
348 Posts
I swear all I did was gut precat and install custom intake, and it sounds like it's got active exhaust.
30% throttle, silent as church.
Any deeper, I get this growl all the way to 5000rpm, when the sound is overwhelmed by the engine's rasp.
On the flip side, I have a stock intake and custom catback using a Borla muffler, and it also sounds great, though nowhere in the rev range is it subtle or quiet. It burbles at idle and goes from there to haywire as the revs go up.

·
Registered
770 Posts
Any idea's for way's to give my Spyder a throatier sound? I have always liked the sound of the old Healy's. Thanks for the response. PATRIOT
I believe I have the best sounding exhaust of all the spyders I have encountered, both in person and on this site.

The secret formula is:

AEM Cold Air Intake
Che's Catless Header
JNZ Downpipe with high flow cat
Team Moon Dual Exhaust
Mark's Exhaust Baffle, forcing the air through the magnaflow muffler
Kevlar Mufflar Blanket to soften the throaty growl

It really does sound exceptionally good, similar to a Ferrari in my opinion.

·
Registered
1,445 Posts
Remove the pre cats if you haven't, it will get throatier.

·
Registered
782 Posts
Don't understand the term "precats"????
They clean up your emissions when your engine starts up and the main cat isn't warmed up. Once the main cat is up to optimal operating temp they aren't needed. When removed, if you need to pass emissions you just need to make sure your engine is up to temp. Check the tread rpaltman posted for more info on what can happen if you don't decide to remove.

·
Registered
7,703 Posts
Dual TMs will make it sound like an Austin Healy 3000 and/or Aston Martin DB5. Noticeable during acceleration, but quiet a cursing speed. That is the only thing I have done to improve the sound. Very throaty! And I still have the pre-cats installed.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts