MR2 SpyderChat banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
731 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys and gals. I was wondering if there are any SA Spyder owners on the forum? In a couple of weeks I will be traveling to South Africa for a veterinary conservation trip for two weeks (arriving April 22nd A.M. via JNB airport). I'm unsure of our exact schedule, but we might have a day or two for free activities as long as we are not on call. It'd be great to meet some members there and see your cars!

·
Registered
731 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Flying out soon!

·
Registered
352 Posts
Hey Doc, theres a few of us on here . . . some more active on the forum than others. What area will u be located in Johannesburg?

·
Registered
731 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
We are being shuttled to our project location shortly after arrival. I'm not sure exactly where we'll be located other than our itinerary vaguely stating " . . . transport to Shimongwe Veterinary Camp." I was in Tanzania in 2005, but have no idea about the geography of South Africa. I'm also unsure as to what days we will be off, but I believe one of the Mondays/Fridays is a holiday? If so, we might have a whole 2 - 3 days off, in which I'd love to meet up with you guys if at all possible.

Any recommendations for how to get ahold of you, or vice versa, once I get there? I have a phone which accepts sim cards but not sure how to go about getting a local one?

Thanks guys, hope to meet you soon.

·
Registered
977 Posts
you can buy a sim card but you would not be able to activate it for use without proof of adress...

the 27th of aprils and 1st of march is a holiday so kindof a long weekend.

First time in SA i presume?

·
Registered
731 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
May have to rely on internet then to check back here (assuming we have it there)?

First time to SA, yes. Very excited to come see your beautiful country. I hope we can get some touristing in while we are there as well. Any recommendations? Thanks!

(I just re-read our information packets and we will be camped at one of two locations, either Hoedspruit in the Greater Kruger area, or Mookgopong in the Northern Limpopo province . . . are those far from you guys?)

Also wanted to ask: is Kiswahili the native language of SA as well? Is the dialect much different than Tanzanian Kiswhahili?

·
Registered
66 Posts
hi,

I'm based in Johannesburg and that is very far from Kruger park.

Would be nice to meet up and talk 2, but mine is in the shop :(

If you do end up meeting some 2 owners in Johannesburg (Joburg), drop a line and I will see if I can join.

Have a good trip!

SA has 11 official languages with English, Zulu, Sotho and Xhosa being most widely spoken.

U dont need proof of address to get a SIM card. Just some sort on document showing where you will be staying. Even that isn't always required. You will require your passport though.

·
Registered
352 Posts
Like Diesel mentioned the Kruger is some distance away from Johannesburg, with most of us being located in Johannesburg. The Kruger is a beautiful place, very rich in wild life and vegetation. There is alot to do and see in the area, its quite a popular tourist destination. Seems like some interesting work u going to be getting up to :)

Here's some pics of the last meet we had: http://mr2club.co.za/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?f=15&t=536&sid=7c94db559e096accff1faa248e99beb0
This was quite awhile ago, its about time we have something soon. So all u guys with ur projects its time to get into gear so we can have a meet :lol:

·
Registered
731 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Hey guys, thanks so much for the information and the links to that meet. Looks like fun. If you want, feel free to PM me your contact information so I can try to give you a ring while I am there. I'd love to meet some of you guys (such a rare opportunity!). I know for sure we have the holiday off . . . arrange a little get together maybe for a bite to eat and a few pictures or something? (And if the distance isn't too much of an inconvenience.)

I can't wait to get there already, just have to get done with these darn finals first, then off to New York tomorrow for a couple of days before heading to Joburg, :p .

1 - 10 of 10 Posts